The Student Room Group

GCSE OCR 21st Century Triple Science (CBP1-7) Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by superdarklord
God no xD I'm on the ester page, hoping to finish today and do papers tomorrow.
I, unfortunately, make notes from the cgp which ends Up taking AGES but thankfully once I've done it, it sort of sticks in my head, I never reread them.

Okay cool I'll just learn that because to have a 6 marker on just that would be pretty unfortunate :smile: thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Omg..I was wondering about how you could do papers tomorrow because I thought it was an AM exam so ran up to check my timetable. It's PM?!?!?!? Here's me..rushing to get papers done like an idiot when it's in the afternoon :bawling:
Original post by Sulfur
Knowing OCR though... expect difficult titration equations :rolleyes:

No don't say that omg

To be honest, there hasn't been much in the way of maths in the papers this year (besides the P1-3), so I don't think they're going to ruin our lives by putting one of those in :unsure:
Reply 2322
Original post by olmyster911
No don't say that omg

To be honest, there hasn't been much in the way of maths in the papers this year (besides the P1-3), so I don't think they're going to ruin our lives by putting one of those in :unsure:

I want this paper to be maths based! Means less marks on stupid questions such as 'Why do scientists use standard procedure' or 'Explain what a standard solution is' - too much information to remember!
I really hope it's not maths based because I can't do any of the maths DX Does anyone know what the grade boundaries were for the sample paper thing? It was really hard ;w; Like what were the grade boundaries for a C?
Original post by Sulfur
I want this paper to be maths based! Means less marks on stupid questions such as 'Why do scientists use standard procedure' or 'Explain what a standard solution is' - too much information to remember!

I like learning and applying science though! I don't want more maths - I've finished with that and I'm glad of it xD
Reply 2325
Chromatography questions:

When the substance stops moving through mobile phase and is in the stationary phase, has it reached dynamic equilibrium?
When chemicals begin to go through the mobile phase, and separate (i.e three dots on the same line) what does this mean? - that it contained three different chemicals?
If chemicals on different lines stop next to each other, does that mean that they're the same chemical, and, if this happens but one of the chemicals keeps on moving further up, does it mean that it contains the same chemical and other chemicals?
Does any one have C7 past paper links? :smile:
What is dynamic equilibrium? :s
Can anyone some up Carboxylic acids and Alcohols please? I'm having trouble remembering them
Original post by Pandorax
What is dynamic equilibrium? :s

Where the rate of the forwards and backwards reaction is the same and the reaction continues, there's just no change because the reactants and products are reacting and forming at the same rate. :smile:
Original post by peacefully_
Can anyone some up Carboxylic acids and Alcohols please? I'm having trouble remembering them

ALCOHOLS = -OH functional group. Think alcOHol :tongue:
~ reacts gently with sodium
~ used for solvents & fuels
~ ethanol soluble in water
~ ethanol is a good solvent
CARBOXYLIC ACID = -COOH functional group
~ react like other acids
~ can be tested for by reacting with carbonates & doing squeaky pop
~ they smell like rancid butter & sweaty socks
~ ethanoic acid is vinegar
Titration calculations,whatttt :frown: I just can't understand them
Reply 2332
Original post by Sulfur
Chromatography questions:

When the substance stops moving through mobile phase and is in the stationary phase, has it reached dynamic equilibrium?
When chemicals begin to go through the mobile phase, and separate (i.e three dots on the same line) what does this mean? - that it contained three different chemicals?
If chemicals on different lines stop next to each other, does that mean that they're the same chemical, and, if this happens but one of the chemicals keeps on moving further up, does it mean that it contains the same chemical and other chemicals?

No, dynamic equilibrium is when equal amounts of the substance being tested are leaving the mobile phase for the stationary phase, and leaving the stationary phase for the mobile phase.
Yes, it contains 3 different chemicals. They travel different distances because they spend different lengths of time in the mobile phase as some are more/less soluble in the solvent.
If chemicals stop on the same line it means they COULD be the same, but doesn't prove that they are the same. I don't really understand your last question :frown:

Hope I helped :smile:
Reply 2333
Original post by azo
No, dynamic equilibrium is when equal amounts of the substance being tested are leaving the mobile phase for the stationary phase, and leaving the stationary phase for the mobile phase.
Yes, it contains 3 different chemicals. They travel different distances because they spend different lengths of time in the mobile phase as some are more/less soluble in the solvent.
If chemicals stop on the same line it means they COULD be the same, but doesn't prove that they are the same. I don't really understand your last question :frown:

Hope I helped :smile:

Thank you very much you have helped!

My last question was basically: if you place two chemicals on the baseline, and they're in the mobile phase and moving separately (like a race between two snails) and then finally they stop moving. You see that there's two matching dots, side by side, and that one of the chemicals has still continued going - does that mean that the second chemical contains the first substance AND another substance?
Reply 2334
Original post by Sulfur
Thank you very much you have helped!

My last question was basically: if you place two chemicals on the baseline, and they're in the mobile phase and moving separately (like a race between two snails) and then finally they stop moving. You see that there's two matching dots, side by side, and that one of the chemicals has still continued going - does that mean that the second chemical contains the first substance AND another substance?

Hmmm I'm not 100% sure, but I know that if it travels the same distance it doesn't prove it's the same substance. So I think that shows that the second chemical contains another substance (as it has travelled further) and a chemical that COULD be the first substance but doesn't prove that it is.
Reply 2335
Original post by azo
Hmmm I'm not 100% sure, but I know that if it travels the same distance it doesn't prove it's the same substance. So I think that shows that the second chemical contains another substance (as it has travelled further) and a chemical that COULD be the first substance but doesn't prove that it is.

Thank you very much! I'm now hoping for questions on chromatography tomorrow :biggrin:
Anyone got any mnemonics for remmebering how to make an ester, a standard solution and all the long winded things like that?
Original post by katiemckkk
Anyone got any mnemonics for remmebering how to make an ester, a standard solution and all the long winded things like that?

It's a terrible one :tongue:
For making an ester, Really Didn't Predict Dis.
Reflux, distillation, purification, drying.

The more stupid they are, the more likely I'll remember them :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by superdarklord
It's a terrible one :tongue:
For making an ester, Really Didn't Predict Dis.
Reflux, distillation, purification, drying.

The more stupid they are, the more likely I'll remember them :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahah thanks!! I always remember them better when they're stupid ones, for making a chemical I have Pass Sally Some Massive Headphones
Preparing feedstocks
Synthesis
Separating products
Measuring purity
Handling waste and by products
Reply 2339
We don't need to know formulas of esters do we ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending