The Student Room Group

Extended project ideas?

My main focus would preferably be English though Classics, Politics, and Philosophy may be brought into that.

I am particularly interested in Old English, the movement of Norse peoples to Britain as well as the Anglo Saxons. Does anyone have any ideas for English-based questions I could do mine on?
Reply 1
How the English Language has developed between the 18th century and today?
Perhaps how literary attitudes towards immigrants/ invaders have changed over time - pick a few texts to compare, from when the Norse/ Anglo Saxons were moving here, and from modern times, all of which have a focus on attitudes towards the immigrants. You could also look at texts from the time in between - it might be interesting to look at the attitudes towards 'black' immigrants shortly after the end of the slave trade, and compare it to the attitudes today. This would obviously have links to politics as well as English, and perhaps a bit of philosophy...
There could be all sorts of interesting things to compare - e.g. the adjectives used to describe them, the actions described towards them, their apparent position in society, etc.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
I was thinking of writing about "How did Christianity influence the content of Beowulf and the context within which it was written?" So I could talk about the way Christianity is treated within the novel by the fictional characters but also about how Christianity was affecting the way the people whom the author was a part of. Multi-disciplinary bringing in both English and Philosophy.
Original post by forfrosne
I was thinking of writing about "How did Christianity influence the content of Beowulf and the context within which it was written?" So I could talk about the way Christianity is treated within the novel by the fictional characters but also about how Christianity was affecting the way the people whom the author was a part of. Multi-disciplinary bringing in both English and Philosophy.

Did you end up doing this?

I ask as I am keen student of Norse Religion and a lover of the Beowulf epic.
Reply 5
Original post by Three Mile Sprint
Did you end up doing this?

I ask as I am keen student of Norse Religion and a lover of the Beowulf epic.

I did actually, yes, and I ended up getting an A which is nice :smile: Surprising, but nice haha

I did it on the influence of Christianity and Paganism on Anglo-Saxon society as examined through four texts, Beowulf, The Seafarer, Caedmon's Hymn, and the Dream of the Rood

Quick Reply

Latest