The Student Room Group

Supervisor told me to do the wrong thing for final year project - anything I can do?

Currently in my final year and undergoing my final year project. I proposed my own project idea which was signed for by a professor who became my supervisor. She gave me instructions regarding what I should produce for my dissertation and creative piece. Upon completion I showed my project to the unit leader just to ensure it was ok to submit. He told me my project is absolutely not sufficient and won’t even pass. He was visibly shocked at the fact that my supervisor had signed for the project and instructed me to complete it in the manner I did.

I was told this 2 days before submission date after working on the project and being supervised weekly for roughly 4 months. My supervisor admitted all fault and apologised, the unit leader asked me to apply for an un-evidenced 7 day extension and is now instructing me to essentially redo my project.

I am now in a situation where I have to redo a project that took around 4 months within the next 7 days, just because my supervisor didn’t communicate with the unit leader.

Is there anything I can do about this?
Reply 1
This is a bit of a shocker. I actually think it's not right that you have only been given 7days to redo the assignment. The alternative would be a non-submission at this stage with a non-evidenced extension until the summer resit deadline in August. I suspect the department will be trying to get this through without it going too public. Have you taken advice from the SU on this? There may be an appeal route but you need to take advice.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
You should be able to apply for a longer extension/deferral of the deadline into the summer if needed. They might need evidence of the reasons you’ll need longer. You have a valid reason (it was your supervisor who gave you the wrong information and guidance, confirmed by your leader )

Check the policies and procedures for requesting this, and also worth asking for support from the student union too.

If you can, get as much of what’s been said in writing in case they ask for evidence. Make sure to include detail on what you’ve been told, what you were told initially and that what’s wrong and what need to change from what the leader said.

Do this ASAP, also email the main department office, letting them know that you are intending to this, in case they can offer support or need to process anything (if not included in the policy)

They shouldn’t deny this, given what you’ve said, it was their fault and given the scale of changes needed so they should be reasonable to this request.

Make sure any deferred or extended deadline submission is not put through as a resit and does not have a cap on your grade too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending