The Student Room Group

GCSE OCR 21st Century Triple Science (CBP1-7) Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2820
Original post by Pandorax
Heheh..;w;..I thought a white dwarf star was colder...Heheh..Back to the revision book T-T -dead.-

XDDDDDDDD

Blue-white stars - hot
Yellow-red stars - cold

Basically, what you associate with hot/cold in the 'normal world' is completely the opposite in the 'space world'. :smile:
Heheh..;w;..I thought a white dwarf star was colder...Heheh..Back to the revision book T-T -dead.-

XDDDDDDDD

I thought the same as i saw it on the hersprung-russell diagram at the bottom, but i forgot the x axis is reverse :/ so it's basically as hot as stars get (unless supernova is hotter, idk)
(edited 9 years ago)
6 marker predictions?
Reply 2823
Original post by lyricalvibe
6 marker predictions?

Not really been right, apart from 2/3 on P123 but I'll give it a go:

Cycle of stars
Economic/social questions on observatories
Explaining sun, stars and moon times/rotation ---> someone mentioned this one today
OR, instead of the above question - lunar eclipses, since solar came up in June 2013.
Original post by Sulfur

Cycle of stars
Explaining sun, stars and moon times/rotation ---> someone mentioned this one today
OR, instead of the above question - lunar eclipses, since solar came up in June 2013.

You camt write alot on lunar eclipses tho can ya?
Reply 2825
Original post by monisj1
You camt write alot on lunar eclipses tho can ya?

Apparently you can write a lot on solar eclipses, so I guess you could for lunar! :smile: They'd probably include why are they rare, how do they occur and outline briefly why are they different to solar.
Original post by Sulfur
Apparently you can write a lot on solar eclipses, so I guess you could for lunar! :smile: They'd probably include why are they rare, how do they occur and outline briefly why are they different to solar.

Hmm okay thanks
Original post by Sulfur

Cycle of stars

Is the economic social questions all about cost, work conditions,environmental/social impacts and benefits/negatives of each observatory style thing etc.?

And by explaining sun stars and moon rotation do you mean their orbits, uh the time it takes them, how they orbit (e.g. moon around sun at a tilt) blah blah? XD

And what can you say for 6 marks on lunar? Could you just say how the Earth is between the moon and sun, Earth casts shadow on moon, causes it to appear dark = lunar eclipse, doesn't happen all the time due to the tilt on the moons orbit?

Sorreh for long message x_x
(edited 9 years ago)
Does anyone have any links to past papers? c:
Or is their a page on this forum where the links are lurking? XDD
Does anyone have any links to past papers? c:
Or is their a page on this forum where the links are lurking? XDD

Just type in on google p7 additional specimen ocr and click the first link

Posted from TSR Mobile
how many marks do you think u need out of 180 to get an a star on the chemistry. i reaaly want one but i dont think i did very well in the exams:confused:
Reply 2831
Does anyone know/can link me to where the old (2010/11/12) p7 papers are? The old spec ones for chemistry were quite useful :smile:
Reply 2832
Has anyone got a better definition of "parallax angle"? CGPs is kind of badly worded IMO - "The parallax angle is half the angle moved against distant background stars over 6 months."
Can somebody please explain absorption spectra and emission spectra :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
has everyone finished revising from the cgp book?
Original post by azo
Has anyone got a better definition of "parallax angle"? CGPs is kind of badly worded IMO - "The parallax angle is half the angle moved against distant background stars over 6 months."

Basically you know how the earth moves due to the orbit? That means in each 6 months (through a year) you are at different places on the orbit of Earth. Because of this, you view the stars differently as you are looking at them from different angles. In order to find the parallax angle you simply find the stars location in the first six months, then find the stars location in the next six months. The lines you draw should cross at some point. That point is where the star is located. To find the parallax angle, you draw a middle line in between the two lines. That will then give you an angle (You have two triangle type things, you can use either)

The larger the angle, the closer the star is, the smaller the angle, the further away the star is.
The parallax angle is basically the distance of a star from the earth using the process of parallax to find out.

Hope that helps?DX
Reply 2836
Basically you know how the earth moves due to the orbit? That means in each 6 months (through a year) you are at different places on the orbit of Earth. Because of this, you view the stars differently as you are looking at them from different angles. In order to find the parallax angle you simply find the stars location in the first six months, then find the stars location in the next six months. The lines you draw should cross at some point. That point is where the star is located. To find the parallax angle, you draw a middle line in between the two lines. That will then give you an angle (You have two triangle type things, you can use either)

The larger the angle, the closer the star is, the smaller the angle, the further away the star is.
The parallax angle is basically the distance of a star from the earth using the process of parallax to find out.

Hope that helps?DX

Original post by JazzyT17
Hi, do you have the p7 2013 exam and mark scheme that you could share with me? Thanks in advance :smile:

Yes, I do. Here ya go!

And I have also uploaded my P7 revision guide!

I usually revise these things by writing up PowerPoints which I adapt from my revision guides. Saves me writing things out by hands.

I will warn you in advance this one is LONG and not terribly pretty, but some of you may find it useful for revision if you don't have a P7 revision guide or if you want my interpretation of the unit.

Hope you find it helpful!
Original post by JasonBrown2K14
Yes, I do. Here ya go!

And I have also uploaded my P7 revision guide!

I usually revise these things by writing up PowerPoints which I adapt from my revision guides. Saves me writing things out by hands.

I will warn you in advance this one is LONG and not terribly pretty, but some of you may find it useful for revision if you don't have a P7 revision guide or if you want my interpretation of the unit.

Hope you find it helpful!

Thank you so very much! I just looked through your presentation and it's amazing, it has everything simplified. Thank you so much! I know I'm very annoying but apart from this paper and the specimen paper, we don't have anymore past papers do we?
Why does red light refract the least?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending