The Student Room Group

A-level maths S3 and S4 learning

Next year for my A2 Maths/Further Maths I'm doing S3 and S4. This year for my AS I have basically learned all of S2 in my spare time and had 0 teaching hours on it, just tests from time to time (there were only 3 people doing S2 in the whole school so no timetabled lessons). I'm basically going to do the same for S3/S4 so I want to start ASAP and Hopefully finish them before the summer holidays are over (As well as C3,C4 and maybe FP2, I work relatively quick when motivated and don't tend to forget).

All the others seem to be fine, except for S3/S4, I can't find many good resources online. There are also very few people who have also done those (in comparison to the other units).

Does anybody know any reliable website which I could teach myself S3/S4 with or have any materials that could possibly be shared?
Reply 1
Hi, first off, I did A Level statistics, not maths so I`m not sure if what we go over in S4 and S3 is similar, so please check beforehand:smile:
One of my friends studied Stats aswell, but in another college. His teacher has made a Youtube channel though, for the subject so have a look:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MathsAcademyUK/videos

Just to make sure, is the S3 you`re studying include all the sampling tests like Sign, Wilcoxon, Kruskal and so on? If so, let me know as I have some resources for it.
Reply 2
Original post by Buggerboi
Next year for my A2 Maths/Further Maths I'm doing S3 and S4. This year for my AS I have basically learned all of S2 in my spare time and had 0 teaching hours on it, just tests from time to time (there were only 3 people doing S2 in the whole school so no timetabled lessons). I'm basically going to do the same for S3/S4 so I want to start ASAP and Hopefully finish them before the summer holidays are over (As well as C3,C4 and maybe FP2, I work relatively quick when motivated and don't tend to forget).

All the others seem to be fine, except for S3/S4, I can't find many good resources online. There are also very few people who have also done those (in comparison to the other units).

Does anybody know any reliable website which I could teach myself S3/S4 with or have any materials that could possibly be shared?

For S3/S4, the only good resources I was able to come across were the actual textbooks (and the old textbooks.) Get them off eBay or Amazon.
Reply 3
Original post by Mav455
Hi, first off, I did A Level statistics, not maths so I`m not sure if what we go over in S4 and S3 is similar, so please check beforehand:smile:
One of my friends studied Stats aswell, but in another college. His teacher has made a Youtube channel though, for the subject so have a look:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MathsAcademyUK/videos

Just to make sure, is the S3 you`re studying include all the sampling tests like Sign, Wilcoxon, Kruskal and so on? If so, let me know as I have some resources for it.

The channel is great, just the thing I was looking for, I was doing S2 from videos primarily as well so I'm already used to working like that.
I don't think I'll need any of those sample tests, S3 shouldn't be going into that much detail, I don't think I'll need them for S4 either. This channel should cover everything I need for S3, not quite sure about S4 though, I haven't been through it yet (the official specs for edexcel aren't very detailed either, my teacher told me about some things which I didn't see in the spec, forgot what it was now though). I know I'll need t distribution and that there will be some testing for up to 2 samples normally distributed with the same unknown variance.
That website will be very helpful, thank you very much for that, highly appreciated that you took the time.
Reply 4
Original post by Damask-
For S3/S4, the only good resources I was able to come across were the actual textbooks (and the old textbooks.) Get them off eBay or Amazon.

I'll definitely buy the textbooks, can't do that just yet though because when I need something I usually have to work, Ive been working at my school and will be paid at the end of the year (been teaching gcse maths basically) so I can't do that right now. Thanks for the idea.

Quick Reply

Latest