The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Roger all the way. 8th title, yessss!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1621
Nice and easy straight sets win for Fed! Really want him to do it this year! Not all that fussed about Djokovic possibly going almost two years without a slam, because he still has loads more time. Just my opinion, anyway.

And was that American commentator (can't remember his name) bloody dyslexic? He kept calling Raonic 'Roanic'. It was doing my ****ing head in! :lol: :colonhash:
Original post by RyJ
Nice and easy straight sets win for Fed! Really want him to do it this year! Not all that fussed about Djokovic possibly going almost two years without a slam, because he still has loads more time. Just my opinion, anyway.

And was that American commentator (can't remember his name) bloody dyslexic? He kept calling Raonic 'Roanic'. It was doing my ****ing head in! :lol: :colonhash:

I guess when you say it like that Federer needs this win more as he's probably not gonna have many more bites at the apple but Djokovic will be desperate to reassert himself as a slam winner and no. 1 not just 2011's news so I think the high motivation from both guys will make it good and hopefully not an error strewn nervefest. I think you're talking about Jimmy Connors he was calling Djokovic "Dokervich" no wonder they took him off the commentary for his semi but he couldn't do any better with Raonic... :/
Original post by yennibubs
Hahaha I was one of those who stood in one spot for ages waiting for them after their training session. When roger came, I got completely squashed! I'm small but noone managed to push me out the way! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, it sounds worthy it though.:biggrin:
Original post by lizzy95
I guess when you say it like that Federer needs this win more as he's probably not gonna have many more bites at the apple but Djokovic will be desperate to reassert himself as a slam winner and no. 1 not just 2011's news so I think the high motivation from both guys will make it good and hopefully not an error strewn nervefest. I think you're talking about Jimmy Connors he was calling Djokovic "Dokervich" no wonder they took him off the commentary for his semi but he couldn't do any better with Raonic... :/

Since Nadal only gained about 150 points a win would make Djokovic world number 1 however with a gap of only 300-400 points and Nadal defending Montreal and Cincinnati (Masters), i'd say its highly likely that he'll go to the US Open as world number 1 anyway.

Fed is now the world number 3.... again.
Original post by Rakas21
Since Nadal only gained about 150 points a win would make Djokovic world number 1 however with a gap of only 300-400 points and Nadal defending Montreal and Cincinnati (Masters), i'd say its highly likely that he'll go to the US Open as world number 1 anyway.

Fed is now the world number 3.... again.

To think after 2013 the obituaries had already been written whether you're a fan or not you have to acknowledge how well Federer has proved his doubters wrong, win or lose on Sunday, especially with the ranking back to 3 and probably the confidence to go deep at the US Open too. I wonder how Murray will get back to the top 4 he hasn't beaten a top player since the Wimbledon final and the younger guys are stepping up, I think rather than the end of the Big 4 it's more about the emergence of a well defined big 3
Original post by lizzy95
To think after 2013 the obituaries had already been written whether you're a fan or not you have to acknowledge how well Federer has proved his doubters wrong, win or lose on Sunday, especially with the ranking back to 3 and probably the confidence to go deep at the US Open too. I wonder how Murray will get back to the top 4 he hasn't beaten a top player since the Wimbledon final and the younger guys are stepping up, I think rather than the end of the Big 4 it's more about the emergence of a well defined big 3

I do think the big 4 really began to decline in 2013 as a whole however it's a relatively slow process and I think all 4 are now past their peak. While the younger guys have got a move on I don't think they are there yet.

2016 will probably be an interesting year if the decline continues, however if he can become consistent I really feel that we'd move from a big 4 to a big 1 with Del Potro utterly dominant in the face of good but not exceptional youngsters and a declining big 4.

Right now I think we're in that 1998-2002 period (more like 98 at the moment) where a power vacuum is appearing but nobody of a Fed/Nadal/Sampras standard has appeared yet.
Original post by Rakas21
I do think the big 4 really began to decline in 2013 as a whole however it's a relatively slow process and I think all 4 are now past their peak. While the younger guys have got a move on I don't think they are there yet.

2016 will probably be an interesting year if the decline continues, however if he can become consistent I really feel that we'd move from a big 4 to a big 1 with Del Potro utterly dominant in the face of good but not exceptional youngsters and a declining big 4.

Right now I think we're in that 1998-2002 period (more like 98 at the moment) where a power vacuum is appearing but nobody of a Fed/Nadal/Sampras standard has appeared yet.

I think Delpo can win another slam but I don't think he'll ever reach Djokovic, Nadal or Federer's level he's only one year younger than Djokovic and Murray so his peak years are running out just as much as their's. I think Dimitrov proved today that he's the best of the rest and is in pole position to takeover once the Big 4 are gone. I feel for Delpo because he's missing the best moments of his career, hopefully he can come back stronger
Reply 1628
Original post by lizzy95

Yeah you're right, they both want it as bad as each other - they have everything to lose.

Jimmy Connors! That's who it was! Americans seem to struggle with names...
Original post by lizzy95
I think Delpo can win another slam but I don't think he'll ever reach Djokovic, Nadal or Federer's level he's only one year younger than Djokovic and Murray so his peak years are running out just as much as their's. I think Dimitrov proved today that he's the best of the rest and is in pole position to takeover once the Big 4 are gone. I feel for Delpo because he's missing the best moments of his career, hopefully he can come back stronger

I see him with a similar slam count to Djokovic rather than a Murray or Hewitt. While his game is physically tough on his arm it's not the physical endurance test of Nadal/Djokovic/Murray which in age should give him an extra year or two on them if he's not injured. He's took Fed to 5 at the FO twice, at Wimbledon he recorded the longest 3 and 5 set matches at a semi and the US he's already won so I think he's certainly good enough if he's consistent.

I like Dimitrov/Raonic/Nikishori but I don't think they are anywhere near as good as the last generation. That's largely evidenced by the fact that their 23/24 and have not reached a slam final yet and still have Bird and Ferrer ahead of them.
Original post by RyJ
Yeah you're right, they both want it as bad as each other - they have everything to lose.

Jimmy Connors! That's who it was! Americans seem to struggle with names...

Yeah they just overcomplicate them when they're not hard to pronounce at all. I wonder why the other commentators don't correct the likes of McEnroe and Connors, I guess us Brits like to have one over on our friends from across the pond so other than a snigger they won't correct them any time soon :rolleyes:
Reply 1631
Original post by lizzy95
Yeah they just overcomplicate them when they're not hard to pronounce at all. I wonder why the other commentators don't correct the likes of McEnroe and Connors, I guess us Brits like to have one over on our friends from across the pond so other than a snigger they won't correct them any time soon :rolleyes:

If I was a player and they pronounced my name wrong I'd actively let them know! Though it'd probably make me look like a dick :lol:
Original post by RyJ
If I was a player and they pronounced my name wrong I'd actively let them know! Though it'd probably make me look like a dick :lol:

Lol yeah Djokovic doesn't need more reasons for people to hate him! I think in football they make more of an effort on pronunciation as highlighted by the World Cup
Can anyone explain how you can get men's final tickets? Not necessarily for tomorrow but just in general. I cannot understand the Wimbledon website

Posted from TSR Mobile
I haven't seen Kvitova play this well in a long time. Absolutely pumelling the ball. Bouchard isn't playing badly, she just can't do anything when the ball is being crushed at her non-stop.
Best I've ever seen Kvitova she just destroyed Bouchard!
Well that was a disappointing final.
That was an absolutely staggering performance from Kvitova - as good as her first Wimbledon final, maybe even better. Sure as far as finals go it was not great for the viewing public, but there was absolutely nothing Bouchard could do to make it more competitive. When Kvitova plays at that level, she's unplayable.

Poor Genie - she fared much better than Lisicki in her first slam final but just wasn't give the opportunity to make a better fight of it. Still, she's young and will improve, and she has enough talent to win a slam for sure. It's hugely healthy for the women's game that we've seen two new finalists in the past two Grand Slams who will go on to claim the majors when Serena bows out.
Original post by loloway
Well that was a disappointing final.
the womens matches are always disappointing. :tongue: they are all so one-sided and much slower pace than the mens. they play 3 sets, play a slower pace, attract less viewers and receive the same prize money as the men. how fair is that? :tongue:
To be honest today was an exceptional case - it wasn't like last year where Lisicki froze up, Kvitova was simply too good. Bouchard was trying hard to make it competitive but the Czech was vaporising the ball. It was a magnificent display.

That said, the prize money argument will continue to surface with sub-hour finals like this one. The only way to solve it is to introduce 5 set finals in the women's tournament, if not for the whole tournament. Matches that are blowouts like today have the possibility of turning into competitive matches just by virtue of having to play more sets to win.

Quick Reply

Latest