The Student Room Group

Magaluf girl was born-again Christian!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2681472/She-dropped-Godly-protection-moment-Friend-reveals-Magaluf-girl-family-born-Christians-FORGIVEN-organiser-event-claims-doesnt-know-fuss-about.html

This girl was, according to her friend, a committed Christian and from a family of evangelical Christians. I've seen this happen over and over again. Because of the emotional and psychologically repressive nature of the religion, when they rebel they really rebel.

On a more general note, it is absolutely bizarre that The Guardian and feminists are saying, "How dare you criticise this girl for having sex, and making her own decisions".

These are the same feminists who, when it comes to a sober, conscious, adult making a decision to go nude in front of a camera (page 3 girls), that is absolutely outrageous and must be stopped. But if a girl sucks off 24 guys for a wine cooler, that is her decision.

I strongly resent the users who are saying, "So what? Plenty of people do gangbangs, etc". They don't do it in public! I think it's quite sanctimonious for certain feminists to say that this behaviour cannot be criticised or judged. Also, the girl was Irish so people can stop with the "Is this British values?"
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

So what if she was a born-again Christian? You can't spin this into a 'look religion is repressive...look at this girl...'. It's tiresome.

You don't have to read so deeply into this. She was off her face, everybody around her was too. As I understand it, she was promised a 'holiday' which turned out to be a drink called 'holiday'. No justification of course for this display in public, but is probably what prompted her to do it

Indeed, I concur its not to be done in public. But it happened, so get over it
Original post by Phoebe Buffay
She was off her face, everybody around her was too

I'm sorry, she wasn't off her face. I have seen the video, it's very clear that she was alert. She wasn't messy drunk in any way

As I understand it, she was promised a 'holiday' which turned out to be a drink called 'holiday'. No justification of course for this display in public, but is probably what prompted her to do it

That's disgusting, what kind of values was she taught? Even the most common women 50 years ago wouldn't imagine doing something like this. What is going?

Indeed, I concur its not to be done in public. But it happened, so get over it

Hey, it is currently a news story, for good or for ill. I am perfectly entitled to comment on it.

Furthermore, "get over it" is what many of us feel like saying to feminists who claim that an adult woman consenting to take her clothes off for Page 3 must be banned, but a woman sucking off 24 guys in a public bar is a perfectly valid expression of female sexuality. Seems like hypocrisy to me
Another development, the guy who made the video has said he "doesn't see what the fuss is about" and called the 24 guys "studs".

The first comment is unbelievable, what a slimeball and a creep. And on the issue of studs, I've seen the video; trust me, these guys aren't studs. It's actually all utterly pathetic.

In addition, the girl's friend claims this happened because she "dropped her Godly protection for a moment'
(edited 9 years ago)
feminists are crazy
Original post by MostUncivilised
I'm sorry, she wasn't off her face. I have seen the video, it's very clear that she was alert. She wasn't messy drunk in any way

That's disgusting, what kind of values was she taught? Even the most common women 50 years ago wouldn't imagine doing something like this. What is going?

You are a very judgmental person. Its not good to refer to values people people held 50 years ago and say 'look whats happened'. Why is it even relevant what people did with themselves 50 years ago?

Hey, it is currently a news story, for good or for ill. I am perfectly entitled to comment on it.

Furthermore, "get over it" is what many of us feel like saying to feminists who claim that an adult woman consenting to take her clothes off for Page 3 must be banned, but a woman sucking off 24 guys in a public bar is a perfectly valid expression of female sexuality. Seems like hypocrisy to me

Yes you are. But you seem to take a pretty poor shot at religion, then turn your keyboard on feminism. While I don't doubt the hypocrisy in the example you give, I can't recall any commentator saying that this was a 'perfectly valid expression of female sexuality'
Another development, the guy who made the video has said he "doesn't see what the fuss is about" and called the 24 guys "studs".

The first comment is unbelievable, what a slimeball and a creep. And on the issue of studs, I've seen the video; trust me, these guys aren't studs. It's actually all utterly pathetic.

In addition, the girl's friend claims this happened because she "dropped her Godly protection for a moment'

See, I think you in the first bit of what you've said, you've underlined why many feminists go beyond the call of duty to defend this girl beyond reason - its the pervasive idea that a girl who does this is a 'slag' whereas if the tables were turned, the guy would be applauded.

Tbf the guy does sound a bit creepy, its pretty sad.

And lol who cares what her friend said?
You are a very judgmental person.

Nonsense. I am one of the most open-minded people I know. I am fairly open-minded about promiscuity, recreational drug use, homosexuality (as long as all three are done safely), and so on.

But I am perfectly entitled to say that sucking off 24 guys in a public bar is incredibly stupid thing to do, and selfish given she could have passed around STDs. I am entitled to say, I wouldn't want a girl like that to go out with my son if I had one.

Yes you are. But you seem to take a pretty poor shot at religion

Religion is like an open door, you only need to press and it swings wide open. Religion is so ridiculous I don't need to try very hard; putatively celibate priests raping little boys and then having the gall to say that they are in a position to lecture other people about their sexuality, telling people AIDS is bad but condoms are worse, telling us that the earth is 4,000 years old and despite God's mandate for genocide and slavery in the old testament, he is actually a really good guy.

Oh and their condemnation of anyone who isn't heterosexual. And their depiction of women as being fundamentally inferior to men. Should I stop now or keep going?

then turn your keyboard on feminism. While I don't doubt the hypocrisy in the example you give, I can't recall any commentator saying that this was a 'perfectly valid expression of female sexuality'

In The Guardian yesterday. And I think you are trying to have a bet both ways. Are you, or are you not, saying what she did is a valid expression of female sexuality? Essentially, is it okay"? If you were doing sex ed for girls in their first year of secondary school, would you tell them this is acceptable behaviour?
(edited 9 years ago)
Her family are born again Christians doesn't make her a christian by default...
Last time I checked, that isn't a christian thing to do...
See, I think you in the first bit of what you've said, you've underlined why many feminists go beyond the call of duty to defend this girl beyond reason - its the pervasive idea that a girl who does this is a 'slag' whereas if the tables were turned, the guy would be applauded

Actually I don't think he would. If a guy licked 24 unknown vaginas for some alcopop, people would throw brickbats at him. He would be considered pretty pathetic, and this is what other guys on TSR have repeatedly said.

Also, most guys have not been applauding what the guys did, they've said that the guys are also pathetic. But perhaps not as sad as the girl and I think that's fair. As I said, if a guy licked 24 unknown pussies, or a gay guy sucked 24 unknown cocks, for a $5 drink, they would cop plenty of flak. Which demonstrates this isn't simply a gender thing
Original post by OnionRing
Her family are born again Christians doesn't make her a christian by default..

She is also a Christian herself, as the article makes clear.

Last time I checked, that isn't a christian thing to do..

:lol: When did that ever stop people who call themselves Christian from doing anything?
She doesn't actually appear overly drunk in the video to be honest, running around looking fully aware trying to find more willing blokes. Drink isn't fully to blame, I have been off my face before and never been tempted to put numerous flaccid penis' in my mouth in public...it was most likely a combination of the drink, peer pressure, having a 'celeb' egging her on and being away from home for probably the first time. Going on holiday does sometimes have that escapism feel and consequences aren't always high on your mind. The bit that disturbed me was one of the blokes at the end seemed very resistant to taking part; his friends physically pulled down his boxers and a few of them restrained him so he had to- had that been a girl then it would be unacceptable. Men in some ways are just as much victim to this culture of being seen as a 'lad' as women.

I feel for her, whilst it was her decision no one should have released it nor the media used her as an example of the depravity in these places.
Just because she's religious doesn't mean that her religion caused her to do it. It's none of your business so I don't understand why you are so passionate about. I think it's disgusting too but it has nothing to do with me, it doesn't add or take away anything from my life. This has nothing to do with religion or feminism or whatever, some girl did something others would deem stupid on holiday, that's nothing new, people do stupid shameful stuff on holiday all the time I don't get why people are suddenly banging on about old fashioned values, I certainly don't want to go back to the 50s, people seem to forget all the horrible stuff that happened back in the day e.g racism. We definitely don't want to adopt 'old fashioned values'. There are far worse things happening in the world right now e.g Syria why not be passionate about these atrocities instead of being so passionate about a girl sucking off 24 men in Magaluf.
Nonsense. I am one of the most open-minded people I know. I am fairly open-minded about promiscuity, recreational drug use, homosexuality (as long as all three are done safely), and so on.

If this is the case, then why did you refer back to women who lived 50 years ago, asking whether or not they would have done this? Because 50 years ago things like homosexuality weren't even legal.

But I am perfectly entitled to say that sucking off 24 guys in a public bar is incredibly stupid thing to do, and selfish given she could have passed around STDs. I am entitled to say, I wouldn't want a girl like that to go out with my son if I had one.

As I said before, you are perfectly entitled to say so. I was not disputing that.

Religion is like an open door, you only need to press and it swings wide open. Religion is so ridiculous I don't need to try very hard; putatively celibate priests raping little boys and then having the gall to say that they are in a position to lecture other people about their sexuality, telling people condoms are bad but AIDS is worse, telling us that the earth is 4,000 years old and despite God's mandate for genocide and slavery in the old testament, he is actually a really good guy.

Oh and their condemnation of anyone who isn't heterosexual. And their depiction of women as being fundamentally inferior to men. Should I stop now or keep going?

But you see, your argument attacks feminism, but then you just throw in religion just because you can. It doesn't make a very coherent argument.

In The Guardian yesterday.

Can you provide a link, because I cannot recall reading any such article

And I think you are trying to have a bet both ways. Are you, or are you not, saying what she did is a valid expression of female sexuality? Essentially, is it okay"? If you were doing sex ed for girls in their first year of secondary school, would you tell them this is acceptable behaviour?

To me, it would have been a 'valid expression of female sexuality' had it been behind closed doors. The problem here is that it was in public.

Let's face it, I'm not teaching sex education. I would only say to somebody that it's their life, and they can do as they wish, so long as its consensual, and its done away from people who may not wish to see it
Reply 14
This is just getting more and more pathetic.

This girl was from a family of born-again Christians. I've seen this happen over and over again. Because of the emotional and psychologically repressive nature of the religion, when they rebel they really rebel.
(...)
Also, the girl was Irish so people can stop with the "Is this British values?"

I think you are onto something here. However, I don't think that is the whole story. I think that the culture around her obviously encouraged her to rebel in a certain way. + It doesn't matter that this particular girl was Irish; British youth do have the reputation abroad of being sleazy, slutty binge-drinkers, and that reputation doesn't come from nowhere!

On a more general note, it is absolutely bizarre that The Guardian and feminists are saying, "How dare you criticise this girl for having sex, and making her own decisions".
(...)
I strongly resent the users who are saying, "So what? Plenty of people do gangbangs, etc". They don't do it in public! I think it's quite sanctimonious for certain feminists to say that this behaviour cannot be criticised or judged.

I totally agree with you, that attitude is totally irresponsible and despicable.

The girl has zero respect for herself; the boys have zero respect for her. (The latter is not surprising given her behaviour, but doesn't exactly encourage responsible behaviour in boys.) Both are to blame IMO - and I don't give a **** that the girl wanted it (I don't dispute that she did). This is not behaviour you encourage by participating in it unless you are a sleazy scumbag yourself.

That is my opinion and for once I don't care if people find it offensive.
Original post by Shefflibs
The bit that disturbed me was one of the blokes at the end seemed very resistant to taking part; his friends physically pulled down his boxers and a few of them restrained him so he had to- had that been a girl then it would be unacceptable. Men in some ways are just as much victim to this culture of being seen as a 'lad' as women.

I could not agree with you more. You are absolutely spot on with that point. In my time, I've also seen situations where a guy will be peer pressured by his mates to take part in a spit roast, or something similar, when he's not entirely comfortable. The ring leader that is applying the pressure for three or four other guys (with varying levels of enthusiasm, though he is always absolutely committed as it were) to take part often (from my perpsective) seems to have a vaguely homoerotic agenda in terms of seeing his mates with no clothes in, in seeming to be more interested in having sex with his mates around than being with a woman, even when he could have had sex with her alone.

I know some people say this is just male bonding, hence the reason the ringleader spends more time interacting with his mates and holding the camera than doing anything sexual, but I don't completely buy the bonding argument. It seems a bit... off

I feel for her, whilst it was her decision no one should have released it nor the media used her as an example of the depravity in these places

Agree.
(edited 9 years ago)
What's funny is that the feminists who aren't condemning the girls actions are doing so in pre-emptive reaction to society not criticising the men. However consider if you flipped the genders and a man did what the girl had done - the feminists would be quick to blame the man and society for it's treatment of women as pieces of meat, etc.
Actually I don't think he would. If a guy licked 24 unknown vaginas for some alcopop, people would throw brickbats at him. He would be considered pretty pathetic, and this is what other guys on TSR have repeatedly said.

Also, most guys have not been applauding what the guys did, they've said that the guys are also pathetic. But perhaps not as sad as the girl and I think that's fair. As I said, if a guy licked 24 unknown pussies, or a gay guy sucked 24 unknown cocks, for a $5 drink, they would cop plenty of flak. Which demonstrates this isn't simply a gender thing

No it doesn't demonstrate this 'isn't a gender thing'. You base what you say on the things guys on TSR say:rolleyes:

You know, look at the 'LAD' culture that even reaches TSR. If you look at the ordinary guy, and his friends, i think it would be more likely that he would be applauded and be called a 'lad'.

As for the comparison with a gay guy fellating so many guys, I think it would be of a similar reason to why the girl is taking so much flak
Reply 18
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2681472/She-dropped-Godly-protection-moment-Friend-reveals-Magaluf-girl-family-born-Christians-FORGIVEN-organiser-event-claims-doesnt-know-fuss-about.html

This girl was from a family of born-again Christians. I've seen this happen over and over again. Because of the emotional and psychologically repressive nature of the religion, when they rebel they really rebel.

These are the same feminists who, when it comes to a sober, conscious, adult making a decision to go nude in front of a camera (page 3 girls), that is absolutely outrageous and must be stopped. But if a girl sucks off 24 guys for a wine cooler, that is her decision.

I strongly resent the users who are saying, "So what? Plenty of people do gangbangs, etc". They don't do it in public! I think it's quite sanctimonious for certain feminists to say that this behaviour cannot be criticised or judged. Also, the girl was Irish so people can stop with the "Is this British values?"

Wine Cooler?! £2 bottle of Cava was what I heard through the grapevine
If this is the case, then why did you refer back to women who lived 50 years ago, asking whether or not they would have done this? Because 50 years ago things like homosexuality weren't even legal

Nobody would say everything was better back then. Clearly some things were not. However, it is wrong to say that because we now believe in rights for women, rights for gay people, and so on, therefore we have to accept a girl sucking off 24 lads in a public bar.

There is no logical connection between the two.

But you see, your argument attacks feminism, but then you just throw in religion just because you can. It doesn't make a very coherent argument.

I was expressing my opinion. Particular incidents in the news often engage more than issue, not "Well, this incident either involves religion or feminism". The world is complex, sometimes an incident can evoke three or even four issues! Incredible, I know.

Can you provide a link, because I cannot recall reading any such article

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/04/stark-warning-women-sun-magaluf-investigation

The Graun calls it a "stark warning for women", as if this kind of behaviour has any implications for the average woman.

To me, it would have been a 'valid expression of female sexuality' had it been behind closed doors. The problem here is that it was in public.

We completely agree on that. I would have no problem if she'd done it behind doors (well, if it were real oral sex, not just her putting her mouth on their soft dick for 2 seconds which is just pathetic). In fact, if she'd sucked 24 guys in a gangbang, I would have said you go girl. If that makes you happy, do it to your hearts content.

The whole point of this was that it was in public. That is the crux.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending