The Student Room Group

Cambridge Chemistry Challenge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LeoMantys
I agree!! :biggrin: (just because I'm going on a chemistry trip that covers mostly inorganic chemistry - I didn't have a choice and I don't mind either - doesn't mean I'm not into other parts of chemistry :P) I'll be doing an EPQ on geometrics of molecules such as the importance and origin of chirality (like why there are left handed amino acids and dextrose sugars on Earth) and a Science Research Qualification (Similar to EPQ) on either Xray crystallography (<3333) (recently some Japanese chemist was able to snapshot parts of reaction mechanism with a catalyst using Xray crystallography) or on Joseph Loschmidt. I'm about to read a lot of OCPs and other articles and books ^_^. Organic Chemistry is my fav tho

Do you have any links on X Ray crystallography? And link to Japanese chemist?
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Do you have any links on X Ray crystallography? And link to Japanese chemist?

Well for X-Ray crystallography I got a link to a talk about it (during its 100th year anniversary celebration): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBxZVF3s4cU . I also advise you to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUNzoa991g4 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Fy6oiIRwJc just because I found it really interesting xD. And for that Japanese chemist... :http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/2014/05/mechanism-study-seeks-clear-x-ray-crystalline-flask-cloud
Your welcome ^_^
Okay I just got the certificate from my teachers and had a brief look at the report, It's 42 for a Roentgenium. That person's grade boundary was correct. So if you got 42 or above then well done you are one of the top 58.

It also says candidates will be emailed in the "next few days" so I assume before Friday. :smile:
I got a mid Gold which I'm happy about, if I even bothered answering the enthalpy questions I could have scraped roentgenium by the looks of those boundaries. My strengths were the unit cell question and organic synthesis + spectra.
Close:

Cu 14-21
Ag 21-27
Au 28-42
Rg 43+ (phew)

Original post by EmmaC97
This years grade boundaries for the Chemistry Challenge:
0-13 No Award
14-20 Copper
21-26 Silver
27-41 Gold
42-60 Roentgenium
(I think this is right anyway!) I just scraped a silver :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
BTW is the residential course 5 days or 1 weekend? Also is accommodation included?
Original post by LeoMantys
Thanks a lot! :smile:

Hi just finished the open day at St Catharines - Dr Wothers said that teachers should now have results, so if you haven't got your result it probably means your teacher hasn't checked their email. The candidates do not get emailed individually although those with Rontegeniums (can't spell that) will receive emails at a later date with reference to the summer school. The boundaries posted in the first post on this page are correct if you want to know your certificate (thanks to the poster). Hope this helps.
Original post by AndyChow
BTW is the residential course 5 days or 1 weekend? Also is accommodation included?

One weekend accommodation included.
Original post by Pigster
Close:

Cu 14-21
Ag 21-27
Au 28-42
Rg 43+ (phew)

Rg is 42+ I'm pretty certain (at least that's what Dr Wothers (one of the administrators of the challenge) said).
Just got the email
Apparently the dates of the camp are from 6pm on Tuesday, August 26 to 12 noon on Friday, August 29.
Original post by AndyChow
Just got the email
Apparently the dates of the camp are from 6pm on Tuesday, August 26 to 12 noon on Friday, August 29.

Congratulations on the place.
Original post by mcmillanr
Rg is 42+ I'm pretty certain (at least that's what Dr Wothers (one of the administrators of the challenge) said).

Their website says:

There were a total of **** entries into this year's competition. A total of ** students won Roentgenium awards (mark over 42), *** students won Gold awards (mark between 27 and 42), *** students won Silver awards (mark between 21 and 27) and **** students won Copper awards (mark between 14 and 21).
Original post by Protoxylic
Congratulations on the place.

i got copper yay.
Original post by Pigster
Their website says:

There were a total of **** entries into this year's competition. A total of ** students won Roentgenium awards (mark over 42), *** students won Gold awards (mark between 27 and 42), *** students won Silver awards (mark between 21 and 27) and **** students won Copper awards (mark between 14 and 21).

I don't know... You're probably correct. When they publish the report I guess we'll see.
Well...
Annoyingly, the report states:
Cu 14-20
Ag 21-26
Au 27-41
Rg 42+

It's nice that they contradict themselves.
Got mid-gold (35)... I'm quite happy about the results considering I'm the first from my college to gain such a high score (the last highest was a mid-copper in my college). There is definitely room for improvement, for me, and that's the best thing that I got out of this challenge xD Well done to everyone else who did the C3L6 challenge! For me, I need to improve on not making silly assumptions (>.>) and mathematical manipulation, however, organic chemistry was my strongest topic of success. ^_^
Anybody got their certificates and trophies yet?
5pp is 13g/m3
Got a gold :biggrin: can't say I was expecting Rg, so I'll take it and run haha! Congratulations you guys, seems like you all did amazingly :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest