The Student Room Group

Deloitte tax graduate scheme - academic requirement confusion

hi, I've been on the academic requirement page and it says they require a minimum of 2.1 for all their programmes. However, in the table it states for tax if you have 320 ucas points then the requirement is a minimum of 2.2.

Am I right in understanding that if the ucas points are met , then For tax the requirement is a 2.2 ?

Thanks
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Maxbb1
hi, I've been on the academic requirement page and it says they require a minimum of 2.1 for all their programmes. However, in the international table it states for tax if you have 320 ucas points then the requirement is a minimum of 2.2.

Am I right in understanding that if the ucas points are met , then For tax the requirement is a 2.2 ?

Thanks

Link?

Never heard of any of the big 4 accept 2.2 (outside of genuine extenuating circumstances or the PWC inspired talent route).
Reply 2
Original post by M1011
Link?

Never heard of any of the big 4 accept 2.2 (outside of genuine extenuating circumstances or the PWC inspired talent route).

Here
http://mycareer.deloitte.com/uk/en/university/apply-now/academic-requirements
scroll down to table
Reply 3

Tax
22/280 1st any
24/300 2.1 any
26/320 2.2 any

Does seem like they're saying they'll take 2.2s in tax if you have 320 UCAS. Must be new this year. Surprised by that!
Original post by M1011
Does seem like they're saying they'll take 2.2s in tax if you have 320 UCAS. Must be new this year. Surprised by that!

Must be struggling to recruit... strange, very strange
Reply 5
Original post by Hedgeman49
Must be struggling to recruit... strange, very strange

Maybe they've finally realised that a 2.2 from certain unis is better that a 2.1 from others.
Original post by M1011
Maybe they've finally realised that a 2.2 from certain unis is better that a 2.1 from others.

Sure, but then why not audit too?
Reply 7
Sure, but then why not audit too?

Agreed - quite weird.
Original post by Maxbb1
hi, I've been on the academic requirement page and it says they require a minimum of 2.1 for all their programmes. However, in the table it states for tax if you have 320 ucas points then the requirement is a minimum of 2.2.

Thanks

Might be that you need a 2.1 to do ACA but their tax grads can do the ATT-CTA route? That at least would explain an audit-tax difference.
Original post by M1011

Hey its not new its been like that for ages.... but they are actually increasing the academic requirements for the 2015 intake. http://mycareer.deloitte.com/uk/en/university/apply-now/2015acdemics

This is what it is for new tax applicants hoping to join in 2015

300 / 1st
320 / 2.1
360 / 2.2

So now they accept 2.2's if you have 360 (AAA) UCAS from 3 A Levels.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Hyrule Wayfarer
Hey its not new its been like that for ages.... but they are actually increasing the academic requirements for the 2015 intake. http://mycareer.deloitte.com/uk/en/university/apply-now/2015acdemics

300 / 1st
320 / 2.1
360 / 2.2

Define ages? I never saw that when I was applying in 2012.
Original post by M1011
Define ages? I never saw that when I was applying in 2012.

I guess i've never known it not to be like that. I applied in 2013 but have been browsing vacancies since I started uni in 2011.
Reply 12

300 / 1st
320 / 2.1
360 / 2.2

A*AB is also 360 ucas points. Is that okay ?
Original post by dbdb
A*AB is also 360 ucas points. Is that okay ?

Yeah I guess A*A*C would be accepted too :wink: When you think about it to do that well in your A Levels and to only get a 2.2 in the degree would be surprising ... given the person's high achievement before university. Deloitte Real Estate accept 260-280 UCAS points which surprised me a little.
Yeah I guess A*A*C would be accepted too :wink: When you think about it to do that well in your A Levels and to only get a 2.2 in the degree would be surprising ... given the person's high achievement before university. Deloitte Real Estate accept 260-280 UCAS points which surprised me a little.

Doesn't surprise me at all. People with top A-levels go to top unis where it is much harder to get a 2:1. Oxford can't give everybody a 2:1, yet to get in you need A*AA or better...
Doesn't surprise me at all. People with top A-levels go to top unis where it is much harder to get a 2:1. Oxford can't give everybody a 2:1, yet to get in you need A*AA or better...

I can sort of see your logic but it would only work if they accepted 2.2's from the top uni's as you put it. But in the contracts they give out it doesn't matter if you go to a top uni, these UCAS and degree conditions are flexible and apply to everyone. I should know I have got one.

For example I knew someone who went to my uni (ex-poly) who got AAB, she missed her offer at a russell group and got in through clearing. She technically could just chillax and get a low 2.2 and meet the offer because of her A Level grades. So you can have good grades and not go to a top uni.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16

Why? One presumes it's a less competitive area with less applicants, therefore lower requirements.
Original post by M1011
Why? One presumes it's a less competitive area with less applicants, therefore lower requirements.

Yes that is the reason, its just surprising given the reputation of the organization that the entry requirements are so low to get your foot in the door. Given that some less prestigious organisations ask for alot higher.
Reply 18
Yes that is the reason, its just surprising given the reputation of the organization that the entry requirements are so low to get your foot in the door. Given that some less prestigious organisations ask for alot higher.

Yes I see what you mean, but at a company as big as Deloitte prestige is relative to the area you're in. Going to Drivas Jonas as Deloitte isn't going to give you a foot in the door to other areas of the firm really. Similarly it's easier to get in to Audit than Consulting etc.
I can sort of see your logic but it would only work if they accepted 2.2's from the top uni's as you put it. But in the contracts they give out it doesn't matter if you go to a top uni, these UCAS and degree conditions are flexible and apply to everyone. I should know I have got one.

For example I knew someone who went to my uni (ex-poly) who got AAB, she missed her offer at a russell group and got in through clearing. She technically could just chillax and get a low 2.2 and meet the offer because of her A Level grades. So you can have good grades and not go to a top uni.

They can't account for people who have undersold themselves without coming up with a magical list of good unis. Then you'll get "but my course is good even though my uni is crap" so you'll have to break it down by course. Then it's a total nightmare.

So they just stick with UCAS and assume that people who got good A-levels will probably go to a good uni.

Quick Reply

Latest