The Student Room Group

1 year industry for biomedical science - any recommendations?

I would be applying for a placement year (in industry) this year as part of my sandwich course for biomedical science and would like to get some recommendations for the best placements that are on offer. I'm looking for the best opportunity that would suit my course and be something that I would enjoy.
I would like to go into research but I am not sure what field at the moment, probably virology or microbiology something like that.
At the moment my uni offers companies such as GSK/ Drug control centre/ Pharmacy assistant and a few others but these are more suited to pharmaceutical/ biochem science students and is not something I would be keen on.
Anyone have any recommendations I would like to start applying as soon as possible.
Thanks for your time and help.
What uni are you studying at? And is it a compulsory part of your course?
Find out what research centres are in your area (might take a bit of researching) or anywhere near where you could do placement and start emailing. I know you said you are more interested in virology but cancer research could be a possibility? They have centres all around the country.
I'm also kind of in the same boat though I won't be applying for my placement this year, next year instead and I'm hoping to maybe see if I can get a placement in an alzheimer's centre or a virology lab. I have no idea what the competition is like though :/ I'd assume it's quite competitive to get really good places.
Reply 3
Original post by SophieSmall
Find out what research centres are in your area (might take a bit of researching) or anywhere near where you could do placement and start emailing. I know you said you are more interested in virology but cancer research could be a possibility? They have centres all around the country.
I'm also kind of in the same boat though I won't be applying for my placement this year, next year instead and I'm hoping to maybe see if I can get a placement in an alzheimer's centre or a virology lab. I have no idea what the competition is like though :/ I'd assume it's quite competitive to get really good places.

Yeah I've been advised to apply before January next year for a placement in 2015/2016 as you said its very competitive as there are a lot of people who are now doing the sandwich course, and that sounds so interesting! you would really enjoy being a part of those research fields. Cancer research is also a great suggestion, I expect that to be very popular to I have also heard its a popular choice for the final year project, I guess if you did it for you placement year you will have a head start if you also chose it as a final year project.
Thanks for your help :biggrin:
Original post by nmm1234
Yeah I've been advised to apply before January next year for a placement in 2015/2016 as you said its very competitive as there are a lot of people who are now doing the sandwich course, and that sounds so interesting! you would really enjoy being a part of those research fields. Cancer research is also a great suggestion, I expect that to be very popular to I have also heard its a popular choice for the final year project, I guess if you did it for you placement year you will have a head start if you also chose it as a final year project.
Thanks for your help :biggrin:

Yeah, it's important to try to apply as early as possible for the most competitive places. Although I won;t have to start looking til next year I think I'll still start emailing around anyway and find you what kind of places are available and also if there are any paid places available since you get such little maintenance money from student finance during placement year D:

Good luck I hope you find a place!
Reply 5
Original post by Harvey Dent
What uni are you studying at? And is it a compulsory part of your course?

Studying at Kingston University, and yeah I would think so.. I really want to do it anyway as I need the experience as well as the degree when it comes to getting a job after graduation.

:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by SophieSmall
Yeah, it's important to try to apply as early as possible for the most competitive places. Although I won;t have to start looking til next year I think I'll still start emailing around anyway and find you what kind of places are available and also if there are any paid places available since you get such little maintenance money from student finance during placement year D:

Good luck I hope you find a place!

Sure I guess I will start doing that to and yeah definitely paid, thank you! wish you all the best to :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending