The Student Room Group

MAT LAB newbie - need help finding resources.

Hey guys,

I'm starting Uni this September doing Mechanical Engineering and I know Mat Lab is one of my modules so i'm trying to learn it before uni starts.

I already have some experience with python ( done a few projects here and there ) - but not a wizard. so not a total beginner.
I've also done further maths in sixth-form so i'm familiar with matrices and differential equations to some extent.

I would appreciate it if you could help me find some resources ( preferably up to date because i have the 2014 version, don't know if it makes any difference ) so i can self study.

Cheers :cookie:
Reply 1
It's okay, as long as you have some experience with python, basic .m should be a piece of cake for you.

There're plenty tutorial online you can check, for example: http://ocw.mit.edu/resources/res-18-002-introduction-to-matlab-spring-2008/other-matlab-resources-at-mit/

Another thing is you need figure out whether simulink is involved in the module, that would require additional knowledge of math and logic.
Reply 2
Original post by Novezeil
It's okay, as long as you have some experience with python, basic .m should be a piece of cake for you.

There're plenty tutorial online you can check, for example: http://ocw.mit.edu/resources/res-18-002-introduction-to-matlab-spring-2008/other-matlab-resources-at-mit/

Another thing is you need figure out whether simulink is involved in the module, that would require additional knowledge of math and logic.

Thanks for the reply and the MIT site looks promising.
Just checked the version and its actually [ R2013a Mat Lab and Simulink ]
what does Simulink allow you to do in comparison to Mat Lab it self?
Reply 3
Original post by dynostatic
Thanks for the reply and the MIT site looks promising.
Just checked the version and its actually [ R2013a Mat Lab and Simulink ]
what does Simulink allow you to do in comparison to Mat Lab it self?

Simulink is more "module-based" comparing to matlab code but as you may expected there're many crossed area between them.

The aim of using simulink is to minimize the complexity of some engineering simulation process, such as engine, aero, building, thermal which can hardly be done by code itself (normally one block involves many lines of codes, like this AC/DC converter: http://www.mathworks.co.uk/help/physmod/sps/examples_v2/ac-dc-three-level-pwm-converter.html)
I would highly recommend that you don't buy any books. Books are very difficult to learn the basics of computing/programming language from. There are plenty of web resources which are much better.
You probably don't need to be a master at it before going to university. It's essentially a programming language for maths, so if you have some familiarity already, it should be adaptable.

Youtube is a good resource though. So is the MATLAB website. It really depends what you want to do - But you can find "projects" online to test out as well.

For first year you will probably use these sorts of MATLAB skills: Variables, matrices, storing outputs (A goes to A1 for use later, etc), plots and maybe differentation/integration type operations. 9 times out of 10, it's just typing in the words and letting the software do the rest.
Reply 6
Everyone else will be a newbie at it, so dont worry. We were always encouraged to use the 'Help' file, although it's not always terribly helpful. If not then I just googled the hell out of that sh*t... :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by SillyEddy
You probably don't need to be a master at it before going to university. It's essentially a programming language for maths, so if you have some familiarity already, it should be adaptable.

Youtube is a good resource though. So is the MATLAB website. It really depends what you want to do - But you can find "projects" online to test out as well.

For first year you will probably use these sorts of MATLAB skills: Variables, matrices, storing outputs (A goes to A1 for use later, etc), plots and maybe differentation/integration type operations. 9 times out of 10, it's just typing in the words and letting the software do the rest.

Alright Thank you.
I found a very good book from the university of Utah which i think is very up to date and focuses on the use of the software in the engineering industry.
I just want to be a few steps a head,trying to learn from previous experiences for once :cool:
Reply 8
Original post by ahpadt
Everyone else will be a newbie at it, so dont worry. We were always encouraged to use the 'Help' file, although it's not always terribly helpful. If not then I just googled the hell out of that sh*t... :biggrin:

Yeah thats basically how I survived commuting at sixth form, with no teacher i had to learn python all by myself and do a project.:angry::angry::angry:

without stack overflow, google and some Chinese websites i could not survive :cookie:
Reply 9
Do you have access to Matlab already?

I would simply recommend the online matlab documentation, it's pretty good for fully understanding the functions etc.
Yes, Ive got the 2013 version.
And thank you for your input. :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest