The Student Room Group

What to do if you fail all GCSE's??

Okay so I'll be starting year 11 in sept and I received my mock exam results today and I got mostly D's and E's in the important subjects!! I've never done so badly in my life and it's making me soooooooooo stressed and depressed because I know I'll probably end up failing next year also! I really don't want to have to sit foundation papers next year because I know C's are not good enough at all anymore!!
I'm only 15 but I'm so stressed! I feel like giving up on school!!
are there any career paths that do not require good gcse results??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DeeXiomara
Okay so I'll be starting year 11 in sept and I received my mock exam results today and I got mostly D's and E's in the important subjects!! I've never done so badly in my life and it's making me soooooooooo stressed and depressed because I know I'll probably end up failing next year also! I really don't want to have to sit foundation papers next year because I know C's are not good enough at all anymore!!

Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated.":smile:
Reply 2
you need to calm down you dont need to give up on school, if you still have year 11 you need to start working harder to get the grades up from D's and E's even if you have to do foundation papers its better to get C's than D's and E's, although if you were planning to go to college arent there any in your area that take lower grades? i know that there were colleges in my area that took students that got grades lower than D's and such.
Original post by heyoka
you need to calm down you dont need to give up on school, if you still have year 11 you need to start working harder to get the grades up from D's and E's even if you have to do foundation papers its better to get C's than D's and E's, although if you were planning to go to college arent there any in your area that take lower grades? i know that there were colleges in my area that took students that got grades lower than D's and such.

what courses did they do?
Reply 4
Original post by German123
what courses did they do?

maths english and economics at Alevel thats if you get 5 C's but there are other things you can do at college to get you qualification to go on and get a job or even get you into uni, there are Btecs, from what i know you focus on one Btec in things like ICT, health and social care, hairdressing,media etc. do you know what you want to do after year 11? mabye you should start researching now and making a plan to work towards.
Reply 5
Rejoice! For they can always be resat.
Original post by heyoka
maths english and economics at Alevel thats if you get 5 C's but there are other things you can do at college to get you qualification to go on and get a job or even get you into uni, there are Btecs, from what i know you focus on one Btec in things like ICT, health and social care, hairdressing,media etc. do you know what you want to do after year 11? mabye you should start researching now and making a plan to work towards.

I though you will need at least B grades(maths/Eng) to study those at A level as A levels are harder and you need the basic(GCSE) skills......?
Original post by heyoka

they got D's and E's in what?

...so they did maths, Eng and Econ at A level-How could they do those without passing those GCSES (apart from Econ)?
Reply 8

...so they did maths, Eng and Econ at A level-How could they do those without passing those GCSES (apart from Econ)?

Maybe it's a bad college? :confused:
Reply 9
I though you will need at least B grades(maths/Eng) to study those at A level as A levels are harder and you need the basic(GCSE) skills......?

no that depends on the college you go to, some colleges will want you to have a B at GCSE to go into the course but some colleges will take you in even if you get a C, my college was in like the top 10 in england, i wanted to do history but only got a C at GCSE they still let me do it, tho i also wanted to do bioliogy but i got a C at GCSE they wouldnt let me, so it also depends on the subject, i dont really see why they wouldnt let you do maths or english with a C and GCSE but, again it depends on the college, you might need to lower your standards.
Use the summer to think about what you want from life. Most things, yes, require GCSEs. It is most likely that you will have a miserable job otherwise. Anyone can pass GCSEs if they work for it. No ones asking you to be a genius for the most part you just have to regurgitate information. But it will take time, especially if you're already weak. Go back over your years work and learn it before september. If you want this, you will have to make sacrifices with your time. The easiest way to look at it is to do each piece of work you are set to the best of your ability - and always aim for perfection. These exams are not difficult, you just have to learn how to remember information. But do look at other options, perhaps non-academically. But every path you consider will have resistance that you must learn to overcome.
Original post by Magistl
Maybe it's a bad college? :confused:

probably as most plcaes i know want A/A* at GCSE but will allow B grades.
Reply 12

i said that you need to at least pass with C's to do subjects like maths and english,you still have a year left if you work hard you should be able to get your grade up to a C shouldnt you? if you got lower than C's then you would have to do other things at college like BTEC's because they require lower grades to get onto the course. Am i making things worse for you? i am sorry if im confusing you more :s-smilie:
Reply 13
Lol dont worry I got Ds in Year 10 apart from in maths and science because my English wasn't this good back then but in Year 11 I was top in almost every class

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by heyoka
i said that you need to at least pass with C's to do subjects like maths and english,you still have a year left if you work hard you should be able to get your grade up to a C shouldnt you? if you got lower than C's then you would have to do other things at college like BTEC's because they require lower grades to get onto the course. Am i making things worse for you? i am sorry if im confusing you more :s-smilie:

No its cool and by the way i have already finished my GCSES.

I am just wondering why colleges/sixthforms will not allow some people to do A level History if they fail English GCSE(dont get a C) but get an A grade in History GCSE....?

Also i though BTECS are overlooked/looked down upon by some unis(Not the rubbish ones) is this true or...?
Original post by heyoka

By the way i am not the OP.
Original post by DeeXiomara

Whatever you do, don't fail English and Maths; if you do you will certainly have to re-take.

I did very poorly in my mocks all those years ago, lots of D's and E's... but if you pull your finger out you can get good grades. All of mine bar 1 were C or above; and you will be fine.

Use every moment of the time until the exams doing practice papers (which is what I did, and would recommend), and you will be fine!
Reply 17
No its cool and by the way i have already finished my GCSES.

I am just wondering why colleges/sixthforms will not allow some people to do A level History if they fail English GCSE(dont get a C) but get an A grade in History GCSE....?

Also i though BTECS are overlooked/looked down upon by some unis(Not the rubbish ones) is this true or...?

ah sorry i didnt notice you werent the OP :colondollar: hmm thats a tough one, because if you can get a A in history doesnt that mean you would be able to pass english? since english and history would go hand in hand, if you can write well you should be able to write well in both history and english, most colleges/sixthforms want the student to have passed maths and english, uni's also ask for a standard of C for both maths and english.

i guess BTEC's would be looked down upon by universities but as long as your going into a course similar or the same as the BTEC your doing and mabye throw in some experience if your college offers a placement then they should still accept the student.
I got really bad results in my mocks but it just motivated me to revise more and try really hard and I ended up getting good results.
Original post by heyoka
ah sorry i didnt notice you werent the OP :colondollar: hmm thats a tough one, because if you can get a A in history doesnt that mean you would be able to pass english? since english and history would go hand in hand, if you can write well you should be able to write well in both history and english, most colleges/sixthforms want the student to have passed maths and english, uni's also ask for a standard of C for both maths and english.

i guess BTEC's would be looked down upon by universities but as long as your going into a course similar or the same as the BTEC your doing and mabye throw in some experience if your college offers a placement then they should still accept the student.

I dont wont to do BTECS as that will just put me at a disadvantage when applying to unis etc.

if someone gets an A in History or RS GCSE it does not mean they will/would be able to pass english GCSE-some people experienced this
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest