The Student Room Group

AS further maths timetable

Hi guys, i'll be self studying as further maths during year 13 as i will be doing engineering and i think that doing as further maths will benefit me. Im with AQA and will be doing fp1, mechanics 2 and mechanics 3. However im not sure about what kind of timetable i should make for self studying further maths. Im sure that before the summer fp1 will be done and dusted but im rather worried about mechanics 2 as the specification states that knowledge of core 1-4 is required. So im not too sure when i should start m2 or what knowledge of core 3 and 4 is required, could anyone help me? I suppose that once mechanics 1 has been done (with normal maths) then i can start mechanics 3 since only knowledge from core 1 and 2 is needed along with the trigonometrical identities of sec^2x = tan^2x + 1, which sounds odd but oh well.
So could anyone give me a rough idea as to when i should start M2 self teaching and/or what goals should i meet when it comes to self studying further maths, such as finishing the modules etc?

Thank you guys in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by League_Masters
Hi guys, i'll be self studying as further maths during year 13 as i will be doing engineering and i think that doing as further maths will benefit me. Im with AQA and will be doing fp1, mechanics 2 and mechanics 3. However im not sure about what kind of timetable i should make for self studying further maths. Im sure that before the summer fp1 will be done and dusted but im rather worried about mechanics 2 as the specification states that knowledge of core 1-4 is required. So im not too sure when i should start m2 or what knowledge of core 3 and 4 is required, could anyone help me? I suppose that once mechanics 1 has been done (with normal maths) then i can start mechanics 3 since only knowledge from core 1 and 2 is needed along with the trigonometrical identities of sec^2x = tan^2x + 1, which sounds odd but oh well.
So could anyone give me a rough idea as to when i should start M2 self teaching and/or what goals should i meet when it comes to self studying further maths, such as finishing the modules etc?

Thank you guys in advance.

The maths needed in M2 is mainly the calculus and a bit more trig

It is all learnable within the module if you are able - certainly could be begun when C3 is done i.e. alongside C4
Original post by TenOfThem

It is all learnable within the module if you are able - certainly could be begun when C3 is done i.e. alongside C4

Awesome thanks, I think c3 will be done before Christmas so I can start m2 right then. I could then start m3 just as m1 is done too, which means I will have to self study it alongside m2 which will be alright. Thanks again.
Awesome thanks, I think c3 will be done before Christmas so I can start m2 right then. I could then start m3 just as m1 is done too, which means I will have to self study it alongside m2 which will be alright. Thanks again.

yes

have you considered FP3 instead of M3 - I think that differential equations are valuable to engineers
yes

have you considered FP3 instead of M3 - I think that differential equations are valuable to engineers

No I haven't, wasn't too sure that fp3 contained valuable information for engineering. Would it be preferable and doable for self study?
No I haven't, wasn't too sure that fp3 contained valuable information for engineering. Would it be preferable and doable for self study?

It is my understanding that differential equations would be of use - I am not sure wether this would be more/less valuable than the projectile work in M3

I do think FP3 is very self-learnable
It is my understanding that differential equations would be of use - I am not sure wether this would be more/less valuable than the projectile work in M3

I do think FP3 is very self-learnable

I will definatlu consider it, may I ask is there a reason for taking it over fp2? Is it simply the differential equations?
I will definatlu consider it, may I ask is there a reason for taking it over fp2? Is it simply the differential equations?

it is :smile:
it is :smile:

Lol ok, thanks again. So if I did fp3 when would you think I should start it? After core 3 and alongside core 4 and m2?
Lol ok, thanks again. So if I did fp3 when would you think I should start it? After core 3 and alongside core 4 and m2?

yes

if you know where you are applying - they will be more than happy to have a conversation either by email or on open days about their preferred options at AS FM
Finally, what specific knowledge from core 3 and 4 do I need for further pure 3?

Do you need C3 and some C4 for M2? I'm doing M2 possibly this year (AS level). Do you mean to say it would be very hard?
Original post by MathMeister
Do you need C3 and some C4 for M2? I'm doing M2 possibly this year (AS level). Do you mean to say it would be very hard?

From the specification (AQA so im not sure about the others), knowledge of M1 and core 1-4 is needed. This is because of the use of differential equations and trigonometry needed to tackle some questions in M2. Thats not to say that M2 will very hard, as that is subjective. But from the opinion of others (again subjective), the jump from M1 to M2 is not so big compared to the jump of nothing to M1.

For me if i run into a topic that i cant do due to the need of learning some principles from c3 and c4, just go and learn that specific principal from the internet or a book. You don't need to know everything from c3 and c4 to do it.
(edited 9 years ago)
From the specification (AQA so im not sure about the others), knowledge of M1 and core 1-4 is needed. This is because of the use of differential equations and trigonometry needed to tackle some questions in M2. Thats not to say that M2 will very hard, as that is subjective. But from the opinion of others (again subjective), the jump from M1 to M2 is not so big compared to the jump of nothing to M1.

For me if i run into a topic that i cant do due to the need of learning some principles from c3 and c4, just go and learn that specific principal from the internet or a book. You don't to know everything from c3 and c4 to do it.

PRSOM.
PRSOM.

What other modules are you doing?

For me if i run into a topic that i cant do due to the need of learning some principles from c3 and c4, just go and learn that specific principal from the internet or a book. You don't need to know everything from c3 and c4 to do it.

I am doing Edexcel Maths and Further Maths. May somebody possibly share whether they know what c3-4 knowledge is needed for it. I understand it's trigonometry and calculus but could somebody please specify.

What other modules are you doing?

An email from my college said that for Maths I will study C1, C2 and S1.
They also said that for Further Maths I will study Fp1, M1 and S2. However, they then said that because pupils asked of them to teach M2 instead of S2 as they thought it was easier they will be teaching M2 this year. (So I believe I will study M2 rather than S2.)
They also said that for Further Maths I will study Fp1, M1 and S2. However, they then said that because pupils asked of them to teach M2 instead of S2 as they thought it was easier they will be teaching M2 this year. (So I believe I will study M2 rather than S2.)

That seems like an odd decision given that M2 does indeed require the additional differentiation methods taught in C3, along with the trig work from C3.

I am not sure what you are asking us to specify
That seems like an odd decision given that M2 does indeed require the additional differentiation methods taught in C3, along with the trig work from C3.

I am not sure what you are asking us to specify

It's just that differentiation and trigonometry make up a rather substantial amount of c3. So it would be like learning an extra half module if you need it all. Do you honestly need to learn all of differentiation and trigonometry? It seems doable but rather odd choice indeed. :smile:
I am doing Edexcel Maths and Further Maths. May somebody possibly share whether they know what c3-4 knowledge is needed for it. I understand it's trigonometry and calculus but could somebody please specify.

Yeah, it is difficult for us to exactly pinpoint what is needed for m2 from c3 and c4, given that i'm not too familiar with edexcel. Perhaps you could buy the recommended textbook and read it to see what it requires.
What i do know is that you need to know how to differentiate and integrate to a standard of c3, so perhaps from an edexcel c3 textbook you can see what that involves?

I can't give a definite answer as i havent started m2 as of yet as i will do that after Christmas.
It's just that differentiation and trigonometry make up a rather substantial amount of c3. So it would be like learning an extra half module if you need it all. Do you honestly need to learn all of differentiation and trigonometry? It seems doable but rather odd choice indeed. :smile:

Have you heard of mymaths, its a great website to use for revision, as it goes over the gist of topics in c3 and c4. Perhaps you could use that.

Quick Reply

Latest