The Student Room Group

Maths at cambridge??

Now I know this is a long shot but Im a mature student (22) I have A levels;

Maths (A*)
Economics (B)
English (B)

Im taking further maths next year and if I get an A* I can go kings or UCL (spoken to them)...

BUT...
Say I take STEP 2,3 and get a 1 in both.. Will that be enough to get an interview say I apply the following year with them grades?

Bare in mind my GCSEs are average (A's B's and C's)...
Original post by Tiri

Maths (A*)
Economics (B)
English (B)

Im taking further maths next year and if I get an A* I can go kings or UCL (spoken to them)...

BUT...
Say I take STEP 2,3 and get a 1 in both.. Will that be enough to get an interview say I apply the following year with them grades?

I'm definitely not an expert so take this with a pinch of salt but if you apply to Cambridge with A*s in Maths and Further Maths as well as 1,1 in STEP 2 and 3, I'd say you've got a very good chance.
Original post by Tiri

Maths (A*)
Economics (B)
English (B)

BUT...

Technically the offer is A*A*(m+fm)A, but if you do indeed get 1,1 then it's more than likely they'll accept you. They're extremely difficult papers though.
Moved to University of Cambridge forum :smile:
Original post by Tiri

Maths (A*)
Economics (B)
English (B)

BUT...

A*A* in M + FM and 1, 1 in STEP II + III is pretty much a guaranteed interview. You will also be in with a strong chance of getting an offer on the strength of those results alone.
Original post by ClickItBack
A*A* in M + FM and 1, 1 in STEP II + III is pretty much a guaranteed interview. You will also be in with a strong chance of getting an offer on the strength of those results alone.

What if theyre interview wasnt spectacular...say they scored 6s and 7s out of 10...but the ums is high and they have 1,1 . Would a 'not great' set of interviews be overlooked?
Reply 6
Original post by newblood
What if theyre interview wasnt spectacular...say they scored 6s and 7s out of 10...but the ums is high and they have 1,1 . Would a 'not great' set of interviews be overlooked?

The maths interview is a test of maths not personality. It is difficult to imagine somebody who scored 1,1 getting such low interview scores alongside the rest of the field who will include those who never achieve an offer and the 50% of those who get a STEP offer but failed to do as well as 1:1.

What nobody can tell you is if everybody who ever applied with 1;1 achieved always gets an offer. There are not that many in that situation. It seems to me far more people expect to do well at STEP in this forum than subsequently go on to do so.
Original post by newblood

Depends on individual DoS' weightings of criteria and the strength of the competition etc. Nothing is a sure shot, of course, but I'd be surprised if they didn't at least get a spot through the pool.
Original post by Colmans
The maths interview is a test of maths not personality. It is difficult to imagine somebody who scored 1,1 getting such low interview scores alongside the rest of the field who will include those who never achieve an offer and the 50% of those who get a STEP offer but failed to do as well as 1:1.

What nobody can tell you is if everybody who ever applied with 1;1 achieved always gets an offer. There are not that many in that situation. It seems to me far more people expect to do well at STEP in this forum than subsequently go on to do so.

I dont think most people expect to do well....certainly before I started preparing I thought it would take a lot more work to get 1,1 than i feel i had to do...though we will see on results day ofc.

People are simply posing hypothetical questions in the best possible scenario...because, after all, to get into cambridge that is what you need

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending