The Student Room Group

How would you rate World Cup 2014?

Poll

How would you rate the World Cup?

Sepp Blatter has rated the World Cup in Brazil at a strange 9.25 - he rated the last one 9.

I'm not going to follow the mad, corrupt old duffer and offer decimals - we've got 1-10.

BUT, after all the votes are cast, I'm going to use a fairly simple algorithm to come up with an overall average which'll show how you rate it TO THE DECIMAL POINT.

I'm interested to see how The Student Room rates it, either above or below Blatter's perception.

So, come in and vote - 10 being the 'best', 0 being the 'worst'. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

10. I can remember 5 world cups and this was the best by far.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Truly the flattest most dire WC I can ever remember during my existence. You couldn't even say that the big nations were average .. they were all awful apart from Germany and Holland during the group stages. The referees were disgracefully bad which played into the hands of the South American teams and their dirty continuous foul play. Gameplay was in most games very slow. The only game of real importance that I will remember is the 1-7 game and perhaps the final. That is it. In years to come noone will remember Neymar or Messi or Ronaldo or Aguero or Balotelli or whoever. Noone turned up. Not a touch on 1998 or any other WC's since then in my opinion. I give it a 4.
The group stages were great, but the knockout rounds were frankly very disappointing.

I'd give it a 6 overall. How Blatter thinks 2010 was a 9 I do not know.

1998 was a 10.
I guess you guys don't rate extra time,

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
bump :frown:
Reply 6
Best World Cup I've ever seen. 1998 was the one which made me fall in love with football and 2002 was quite good (bar the silly kick-off times), but I found 2006 and 2010 pretty poor until the final few games. This had everything for the majority of the tournament.
Probably the best I've seen. Just wish England weren't so crap.

Voted 8.
It's the best World Cup of this entire century :tongue: I would rate it a tad below France 1998, though that tournament will probably never be topped for me due to nostalgia. It was the first World Cup I ever saw and like the majority of boys in my age group, it was the catalyst for my interest in football.

2014 has had everything - shocks, controversy, good open football & two games which will go down as all time classics.

<big gap>
I have to say at first I was like :erm: However, I have to say that it turned out to be really good in the end :biggrin:
Ummm I think it was the best in recent memory. Better than anything before France 98.

A few dud games but there were some fabulous games and moments as well as some stunning results!

*cough* Germany's destruction of Brazil *cough*
Voted 8.

Some good games, good performances, upsets, controversies and some lovely, lovely goals.

Only thing that was missing for me, was some significant form of tactical development, not really much that really seemed to push the boundaries more than what has already been happening slowly in the club game.
Reply 12
I love Brazil. So I rate this a -1,030,275,487,476,229,153,756,835,674,468,275,468,229,487,476,756,153,030,835,764 :smile:
Its get voted "the best" because its the most recent. The same people calling this the best WC will probably say 2018 was the best in 4 years time.

2013/14 was voted the best premier league season before 2013/12 was and 2012/11 was and so on.

Wayne Rooney's goal was voted the best goal in English history recently. LOL.

Its the best this century, but not better than 1998 or 1994 which had equally as many goals, equally as many extra times and penalties. But they're forgotten about so of course they're going to get brushed aside.

What about the 1982 WC which had France 3-3 W.Germany semi final (1-1 before extra time), Brazil 2-3 Italy etc, had a higher goals per game ratio than this WC!

The best goals don't even come from this WC, go and have a look at the best goals from 1998 or 1986. You get volleys and long rangers from every WC, which is what this WC comprised of.

I'd give it 7.5 but I'll be kind and give it an 8, but people voting 10 must have short memories of WC's.

The knockout matches in this WC have let the tournament down for it to be considered the best. Germany 7-1 Brazil was a freak score, but not that great of 'game'. Every other game from quarters onwards was ordinary or dull.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
Two out of 10. Really poor. The quality of play was terrible. The quality of the players was absolutely shocking. Football died a long time ago, all the players suck now.
it was sik but there were some dodgy refereeing decisions and the African teams were sadly underwhelming!
Spain knocked out at group stages, underdogs like costa rica domainting. Doesn't happen often.

So for me it's a 10
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Spain knocked out at group stages, underdogs like costa rica domainting. Doesn't happen often.

So for me it's a 10

Spain were knocked out in the group stage in 1998 as well, in previous world cups they've managed to not get any further than the quarter finals as they were then the perennial underachievers. Northern Ireland beat them in 1982 when they were hosts!

Costa Rica a 'shock'? What about 2002 where South Korea, Turkey, Senegal, and the USA got to the quarter finals? 1994 were Bulgaria and Sweden reached the semi's?

So on that basis if that's your predicament for what constitutes a 10, then lots of other WC's fit your criteria also.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sharpshooter
Spain were knocked out in the group stage in 1998 as well, in previous world cups they've managed to not get any further than the quarter finals as they were then the perennial underachievers. Northern Ireland beat them in 1982 when they were hosts!Costa Rica a 'shock'? What about 2002 where South Korea, Turkey, Senegal, and the USA got to the quarter finals? 1994 were Bulgaria and Sweden reached the semi's?So on that basis if that's your predicament for what constitutes a 10, then lots of other WC's fit your criteria also.
I have only seen the 2006 and 2010 world cups , so my rating was based on those two. I was to young to watch those you suggested.
8. Very rich in entertainment value with loads of goals.

However quality lacked in areas to the point that only Germany only ever deserved to win it for me.

Quick Reply

Latest