The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Can anyone help me? I need an english literature epq idea. I'm on edexcel and want to analyse some texts but I'm not sure what to investigate.
Reply 5241
Original post by Chlomc
Yeah. Mine was into the use of Hypnosis as a Psychological treatment. The effectiveness of it, whether it was more dangerous than helpful and comparing it to other treatments.

Hey, my epq topic is on effectiveness of a treatment too. its on leukaemia n im assessing the effectiveness of chemo. could you help me out? I jus started it a week ago and am stuck now which totally sucks. Could you please tell me the layout of your essay? and how many words did you reach?
Original post by nbi
Hey, my epq topic is on effectiveness of a treatment too. its on leukaemia n im assessing the effectiveness of chemo. could you help me out? I jus started it a week ago and am stuck now which totally sucks. Could you please tell me the layout of your essay? and how many words did you reach?

Mine was about 4800 words. I broke my essay up into sections such as "Addiction" "Pain management" and "Behavior alteration". For each section I looked through various journals about how effective the Hypnosis treatment was (IE how many people improved and by how much) and compared it with other forms of treatment such as Champix for those with a smoking addiction and how effective that was compared to Hypnosis. I also looked into the side effects of each treatment/cost to help judge what was more appropriate.

I suggest you break yours into sections too. Maybe start of by just briefly explaining what Leukemia is and how Chemo works (you can take this out later if you go over the word count, but it's a good place to start - I did something similar for mine). Your next section could be on Chemo's success rates which you should include some statistics for and talk about the fact it's the most common treatment for Leukemia (I think it is but I cba to google it :L). You're next section could be on the side effects of it , psychological and physical and question whether putting people through the treatment is always worth it + whether the numerous side effects make chemo an appropriate treatment. You could research and perhaps find info/case study on people who turn down the treatment and talk about that. In your next section you could include a little about other treatments and evaluate how effective/appropriate they are and then compare that to chemo. In your conclusion just put everything together and think do you think that chemo is the best treatment or do you think others are better, even if they are better does the cost of them being taken on full scale stop them being the major treatment for Leukemia?

Some useful links I found quickly
http://www.cancer.org/cancer/news/treatment-without-chemotherapy-effective-for-leukemia-patients-in-study
http://www.mercola.com/article/cancer/cancer_options.htm
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/leukemia/basics/treatment/con-20024914
http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/chemotherapy-versus-death-from-cancer/
Reply 5243
Original post by Chlomc
Mine was about 4800 words. I broke my essay up into sections such as "Addiction" "Pain management" and "Behavior alteration". For each section I looked through various journals about how effective the Hypnosis treatment was (IE how many people improved and by how much) and compared it with other forms of treatment such as Champix for those with a smoking addiction and how effective that was compared to Hypnosis. I also looked into the side effects of each treatment/cost to help judge what was more appropriate.

I suggest you break yours into sections too. Maybe start of by just briefly explaining what Leukemia is and how Chemo works (you can take this out later if you go over the word count, but it's a good place to start - I did something similar for mine). Your next section could be on Chemo's success rates which you should include some statistics for and talk about the fact it's the most common treatment for Leukemia (I think it is but I cba to google it :L). You're next section could be on the side effects of it , psychological and physical and question whether putting people through the treatment is always worth it + whether the numerous side effects make chemo an appropriate treatment. You could research and perhaps find info/case study on people who turn down the treatment and talk about that. In your next section you could include a little about other treatments and evaluate how effective/appropriate they are and then compare that to chemo. In your conclusion just put everything together and think do you think that chemo is the best treatment or do you think others are better, even if they are better does the cost of them being taken on full scale stop them being the major treatment for Leukemia?

Some useful links I found quickly
http://www.cancer.org/cancer/news/treatment-without-chemotherapy-effective-for-leukemia-patients-in-study
http://www.mercola.com/article/cancer/cancer_options.htm
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/leukemia/basics/treatment/con-20024914
http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/chemotherapy-versus-death-from-cancer/

that is what im planning to do now or rather, i have started on it. 2500++ words in and suffering every moment omfg. how many words do you think I should write about alternative treatments. I am going to look at 2 of them - stem cell transplant and radiation and of now, it seems like for these 2 alternative treatments, i might reach 1500 words. is that okay?
I am already planning to talk about the side effects of chemo and these 2 treatments.
AND A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!!!! supervisor is on holiday and cba to reply back.. thats wad she said before summer holidays anw -.-feels great to have someone who is on the same wavelength as me about my essay finallyyy
I have just finished year 11. The sxith form have told us to think of ideas and gather resources... I am stuck trying to pick a question... Can someone help me?XD
Original post by Marcusroye98
I have just finished year 11. The sxith form have told us to think of ideas and gather resources... I am stuck trying to pick a question... Can someone help me?XD

Think of an area of one of your subjects that really interests you.
Can't really help on specifics unless you give more info on what subjects/subject areas you like :P

It may also be worth thinking about what you want to do at uni/after sicth form and tailor it to that.
Original post by EllainKahlo
Can anyone help me? I need an english literature epq idea. I'm on edexcel and want to analyse some texts but I'm not sure what to investigate.

You could do analysis of language changes over time in literature, or differences between styles of poetry around the world or pre/post certain time periods?

Or maybe pick someone who is revered as an author in a particular field of writing and analyse why that may be the case? Stephen King is a truly phenomenal horror author.
Original post by scrawlx101
what about this:

Should celebrities be made to give a selection of their money to charity?

Is that okay?

That's a very closed question, and the answer is pretty much no - you cannot force people to do things with their money that they have earned without being in a communist society.
Original post by lamyers1
Think of an area of one of your subjects that really interests you.
Can't really help on specifics unless you give more info on what subjects/subject areas you like :P

It may also be worth thinking about what you want to do at uni/after sicth form and tailor it to that.

I am very interested in natural disasters and geography.
I want to get a degree in geology then specialize in Volcanology :P
So something about volcanoes :P
I am very interested in natural disasters and geography.
I want to get a degree in geology then specialize in Volcanology :P
So something about volcanoes :P

You could do something on prediction methods for volcanoes erupting, and maybe include earthquakes too as the technology is likely to be similar?

The socio-economic impacts of volcanic eruptions and things that could be put in place to prevent this. You could then spread this from the local area to worldwide effects - like the icelandic volcano that erupted and disrupted planes, with ash spreading massively etc. If this is too small a topic, you could extend this to have a section on earthquakes, floods and/or tsunamis as well?

I don't know much about geology so can't help you on that front!
That's a very closed question, and the answer is pretty much no - you cannot force people to do things with their money that they have earned without being in a communist society.

What about "Are Celebrities paid too much?"

I am doing AQA Psychology
Edexcel Economics
AQA English Lit
Edexcel Biology

I want to be a psychologist when I'm older? Any good topics I could explore which connect with psychology or stem cells(my fav topic in biology).
Original post by marethyu
Any good medicine EPQ ideas?

I did mine on the effectiveness of artificial hearts and whether it would be likely that they could ever replace human heart transplants due to the deficit. Wrote 6000 words and got an A* ^.^

You could also write about treatment options for different diseases depending on what specific areas you are interested in, the cost of maintaining the NHS as it is and whether privatisation is a good thing, whether targets in hospitals and GP practices are good/working...
You could do something on prediction methods for volcanoes erupting, and maybe include earthquakes too as the technology is likely to be similar?

The socio-economic impacts of volcanic eruptions and things that could be put in place to prevent this. You could then spread this from the local area to worldwide effects - like the icelandic volcano that erupted and disrupted planes, with ash spreading massively etc. If this is too small a topic, you could extend this to have a section on earthquakes, floods and/or tsunamis as well?

I don't know much about geology so can't help you on that front!

Thank-you!
I could do something like...... What systems could we use to reduce the impacts of a Volcanic Eruption??
I want to do it about natural disasters but especially volcanoes. Any ideas on a question?

Yellowstone super volcano. What would happen if it erupted? And prediction when??? I'm jot sure on question but I think yellowstone would be awesome to do!
Original post by scrawlx101
What about "Are Celebrities paid too much?"

I am doing AQA Psychology
Edexcel Economics
AQA English Lit
Edexcel Biology

I want to be a psychologist when I'm older? Any good topics I could explore which connect with psychology or stem cells(my fav topic in biology).

That could be a discussion point, but then it is what they earn...

For applying to uni for psychology, you probably want to focus more on mental health disorders that you could be dealing with.
Maybe look into the effectiveness of different types of therapy for certain disorders, like talking therapy. Or the impact that the media, social media and things like 'selfies' have an impact on self esteem and the emergence of disorders like anorexia and depression? I did that when I did an EPQ at GCSE.

If psychology is your aim I would stay away from stem cells as that more falls under psychiatry I think and medicine, but if you'd find it more interesting then go for that. Maybe look at treatments for diseases like parkinsons and alzheimers, which are becoming far more prevalent in our ageing population.
Original post by jolanta97
I was thinking if you want to do something football related you might as well do some research into something recent like the world cup in Brazil (it's impact on people, environment, economy etc) i hope it helps you

Good idea but because its so recent you may not find as much information
Thank-you!
I could do something like...... What systems could we use to reduce the impacts of a Volcanic Eruption??

That sounds like a great question because then you can discuss the impacts and detecting equipment at the same time. :smile:
Original post by Mistee M
Yellowstone super volcano. What would happen if it erupted? And prediction when??? I'm jot sure on question but I think yellowstone would be awesome to do!

I think yellowstone would be good :smile:
The effects are fairly obvious so I was considering doing systems and plans to reduce impacts of an eruption??
that sounds like a great question because then you can discuss the impacts and detecting equipment at the same time. :smile:

yey :dddd
That could be a discussion point, but then it is what they earn...

For applying to uni for psychology, you probably want to focus more on mental health disorders that you could be dealing with.
Maybe look into the effectiveness of different types of therapy for certain disorders, like talking therapy. Or the impact that the media, social media and things like 'selfies' have an impact on self esteem and the emergence of disorders like anorexia and depression? I did that when I did an EPQ at GCSE.

If psychology is your aim I would stay away from stem cells as that more falls under psychiatry I think and medicine, but if you'd find it more interesting then go for that. Maybe look at treatments for diseases like parkinsons and alzheimers, which are becoming far more prevalent in our ageing population.

Can you give me an example of the title,i'm thinking of something to do with the psychological effects of giving up smoking? To be honest its always something ive been curious about interms of withdrawl symtpoms and problems a person might face.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending