The Student Room Group

What is the point of life? (atheists only please)

Scroll to see replies

Since when has morality and meaning come from religion?
Well surely an atheist must have a more clearly defined and fulfilling answer to this question than a religious believer?! For example, an orthodox approach to Christianity will result in the denial of the many pleasures of life, for example the 'sin' of sexual temptation and the freedom to question scripture from the point of view of literary interest, and must only result in an obsession over repentance, showing that, in spite of religious adherence, the orthodox Christian cannot escape sin. The religious view of this life must therefore be as preparation for a future life, with pleasures that could be enjoyed in this life merely being postponed until the religious follower enters a new life. The atheist, however, understanding the transient nature of life, has no such restraints, and therefore makes full use of every opportunity for self fulfilment and self advancement. The atheist, therefore, understands that meaning is something created and fulfilled by the individual, whilst the religious believer passes life only in awaiting the next.

EDIT: Surely the presence of a purpose in life necessitates the existence of a higher intelligence to ascribe the purpose? In this case, an atheist can derive no purpose from life, except if it is in turn provided by a superior human being.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
There is no 'point' to a blind chemical process, it just happens. There's no 'point' to life, any more than there is a point to the orbit of the planets or the carbon cycle.

Humans ascribe meanings to things because it suits our purposes: we need names for things to reference them, and we need to see motivations because it helps us socially. But these urges to ascribe names and meanings are not relevant to the universe as a whole, they're only relevant to us as individuals, or us as individual societies, because they show how we fit in to the universe and how we can interact with it and to what end our actions will lead. But there is no overarching purpose, only whatever purpose we believe is necessary subconsciously or consciously (usually the former).
Original post by lazzarus
If you believe there is no god, then presumably you believe there is no heaven... what then is the point of life? If there is no moral reason to do or not do anything, and most desires are instincts to perpetuate this seemingly pointless phenomenon, why then do we bother?

For me there is only one obvious answer; that we have been programmed into life: You ask of an athiest, but I am Spinozian.
If you believe there is no god, then presumably you believe there is no heaven... what then is the point of life? If there is no moral reason to do or not do anything, and most desires are instincts to perpetuate this seemingly pointless phenomenon, why then do we bother?

Are you after a profound purpose? There isn't one.

The only thing all living things live to do is reproduce. Therefore the point to life is to reproduce.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheLifeDelusion
Well surely an atheist must have a more clearly defined and fulfilling answer to this question than a religious believer?! For example, an orthodox approach to Christianity will result in the denial of the many pleasures of life, for example the 'sin' of sexual temptation and the freedom to question scripture from the point of view of literary interest, and must only result in an obsession over repentance, showing that, in spite of religious adherence, the orthodox Christian cannot escape sin. The religious view of this life must therefore be as preparation for a future life, with pleasures that could be enjoyed in this life merely being postponed until the religious follower enters a new life. The atheist, however, understanding the transient nature of life, has no such restraints, and therefore makes full use of every opportunity for self fulfilment and self advancement. The atheist, therefore, understands that meaning is something created and fulfilled by the individual, whilst the religious believer passes life only in awaiting the next.

EDIT: Surely the presence of a purpose in life necessitates the existence of a higher intelligence to ascribe the purpose? In this case, an atheist can derive no purpose from life, except if it is in turn provided by a superior human being.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This one below is quite clear. But even if there are gods or religious figures who created life, doesn't mean there is a purpose. If you think about it logically there is only one guaranteed thing in life and that is death. The purpose of life is surely something we all aim to achieve. All living organisms aim to reproduce. Therefore, the only set purpose in life is to make babies. Beyond that you make your own more personal purpose

Original post by Andy98
Are you after a profound purpose? There isn't one.

The only thing all living things live to do is reproduce. Therefore the point to life is to reproduce.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you believe there is no god, then presumably you believe there is no heaven...

Correct

what then is the point of life?

So the only thing that brings meaning to your life is heaven?

I find meaning in all manner of ways throughout my life and it feels rich and rewarding and I have absolutely no notion of there being a heaven.

I feel utterly privileged that evolution came together in such a way that I get a shot of being alive right now with the senses that I do to enhance the experience. Admittedly it is kind of ironic that the level of conciousness evolution has allowed me to attain has made me aware how brief the experience is. I do not however feel the need to travel a disillusionary path and invest in the narcissistic notion that there is an all knowing being who is looking out for me and will sort me out when my time comes to an end.

If there is no moral reason to do or not do anything

Ridiculous contemptuous assumption that if someone does not believe in god that they cannot possess morals. The notion of 'right and wrong' can exist out-with a belief in deities.

and most desires are instincts to perpetuate this seemingly pointless phenomenon

This "seemingly pointless phenomenon" is the most astounding and wonderful thing I know of. Just because something does not have a predefined meaning does no mean it cannot be wonderful and you cannot feel privileged to be a part of it.

why then do we bother?

Why would we not bother? Billions of years of evolution have come together to this point and given you the opportunity to be a concious being who can appreciate and question their environment. To me it would be utter madness to "not bother" with it.

The last thing I would ever want to do with my limited time here would be to invest myself in a fantastical notion and not see the planet, the solar system and the universe for what it is! Which I feel is nothing short of awe inspiring.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Teddysmith123

And reproduction

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
And reproduction

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yh survival and reproduction thats it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Teddysmith123
Yh survival and reproduction thats it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Seeing as this is the only guarantee in life, the point of life is to die. I think we will all accomplish this. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 592
At some point in the past,we invented God(as a principle); that was so long ago that now we can't remember why. briefly,that is the point of life: to find out why was that?!?!?!
Original post by QuantumSuicide
Seeing as this is the only guarantee in life, the point of life is to die. I think we will all accomplish this. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

True

Posted from TSR Mobile
There is no point in life. Humans don't serve a function - we're not needed for the Earth to keep spinning - humans are purposeless. However, my 'point' in life is what I want it to be - which is why it's great to be an atheist - I don't need the idea of judgement day to get out of bed in the morning: experiencing our planet; exploring vast and vibrant cultures; and living off lives' luxuries is my reason to live.

Religious people are trapped and threatened with a great divine - it's sad. Enjoy your life as of now - don't burden on an unforeseeable afterlife; find your own purpose in life and you won't feel compelled to administer subjective philisophical arguments.
Reply 595
There is no point apart from God. There are no morals apart from God. apart from God, nothing matters people. wake up. You can believe there is no God for sure, but if that's the case, nothing means anything. The universe is expanding and will one day disappear. All will be dead and gone and the planet will be no more as if it never was and you and I will have no memory of it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by QuantumSuicide

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, just because it's inevitable that doesn't mean it's the point of life...:facepalm:
I just want to be as happy as is possible.
There isn't one general answer specific to everyone, on a global scale you could argue it's to reproduce. However, I guess the purpose is just to be happy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's no point of life other than that which you create. How arrogant we are to believe that our species is of cosmic significance.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending