The Student Room Group

You find a £20 note on the street...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I'd like to say i'd donate it to charity but i'd probably spend it. I certainly wouldn't hand it in anywhere, how on earth would they know whose £20 it was?
Reply 41
Original post by Scienceisgood
Turn it into £100m by playing the Euromillions!

The odds of that happens (even with 10 tickets) are astronomically small
Original post by James222
If it was in a envelope of some sort so the owner could be tracked I would hand it in.
But if just loose cash I would keep anything found less than £200

So you'd keep £150? That could make a massive difference to someones life. that could easily be rent or bills money or food they need for a month.

How much disposible income do you think people have?
Reply 43
If its just raw cash on the floor, ill pocket it

If it was in an envelope or in a wallet, i would be more incline to hand it in.
Original post by Motorbiker
So you'd keep £150? That could make a massive difference to someones life. that could easily be rent or bills money or food they need for a month.

Yea I would keep £150
If I dont take it someone else would. It depends on the situation if its in a well light area with CCTV probably easier to find the orginal owner
Reply 45

Let's be honest, if you don't know who dropped it you'd keep it because if you hand it in to the police anyone could claim it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stinkum
I don't need a £20 note that's lying on the ground in the street. I wouldn't give it a second look.

Just what kind of student are you? :hmmm:
(edited 9 years ago)
I've found £20s plenty of times.

Hand it in? Don't make me laugh, no-ones going to come and claim it are they.
I found £20 outside my local chapel years ago when I was walking my dog and I kept it. My mum always said "of all the people who could find it, it would have to be an atheist!" lol.
Yea I would keep £150
If I dont take it someone else would. It depends on the situation if its in a well light area with CCTV probably easier to find the orginal owner

Someone else may pick it up and hand it in. I think most people would if it was £150.

Original post by Andy98
Let's be honest, if you don't know who dropped it you'd keep it because if you hand it in to the police anyone could claim it

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't keep it anyway. Not sure about others. And guessing people would need to say where it was dropped and maybe some rough details otherwise you could walk in daily and say you dropped £50.
Someone else may pick it up and hand it in. I think most people would if it was £150.

I wouldn't keep it anyway. Not sure about others. And guessing people would need to say where it was dropped and maybe some rough details otherwise you could walk in daily and say you dropped £50.

Hand it in to who ???
Your magic figure in 150 myne is 200
Theft Act 1969 s2(c)

A person's appropriation of property belonging to another is not to be regarded as dishonest—....

(c)(except where the property came to him as trustee or personal representative) if he appropriates the property in the belief that the person to whom the property belongs cannot be discovered by taking reasonable steps.
Original post by muffingg
It's a note. The owner most likely wouldn't get it back ever. I'd keep it.

Completely different from if it was a wallet, phone, USB stick etc etc in which case I would hand it in or 'trace' the person from the item and contact him/her.

This.

Maybe the same for a 50, I'm not sure.

More significant sums I'd hand in. You can claim it back if the original owner doesn't claim it, anyway.

Except that if I found a massive bag of notes I'd most likely leave it completely alone, as someone said above.
Reply 53
Original post by tehforum
Theft Act 1969 s2(c)

A person's appropriation of property belonging to another is not to be regarded as dishonest—....

(c)(except where the property came to him as trustee or personal representative) if he appropriates the property in the belief that the person to whom the property belongs cannot be discovered by taking reasonable steps.

tehlawyered

I would as well. I'd like to pretend I care about it being a dent in someone's wages but I don't really.
Original post by Yasmin25
I found £20 outside my local chapel years ago when I was walking my dog and I kept it. My mum always said "of all the people who could find it, it would have to be an atheist!" lol.

What of you're a diest? :cool:
Hand it in to who ???
Your magic figure in 150 myne is 200

Hand it in to the police station. that's the standard. and my "Magic figure" is £10 or £20.

I don't know who dropped it or what their story is. £20 could be the difference in them eating this week or not. Who am i to keep the money and piss it away?

If they don'ty need it and don't claim it then i get it back after a month anyway guilt free and full of karma.
Original post by tehforum
Theft Act 1969 s2(c)

So you'd say it's theft as taking to the police station is a "reasonable step"?
So you'd say it's theft as taking to the police station is a "reasonable step"?

Possibly, but the standard of proof is very low, you only need to believe that the note cannot be traced back to the original owner.

As a side point, I think that £20 is not enough for the original owner to go to the police station.

Perhaps something more substantial will prompt a search.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by pane123
That doesn't answer my question. I am not doubting what you say is true but I need examples. The more exciting, the better.

Haha, I don't have any interesting stories or experiences to share unfortunately. But you never know, I always say it's better to be safe. I think it's rather unlikely to be chased by a drug dealer because you happened to pick up £20 which was meant to be handed to him by a dope fiend! It's even more unlikely that you'll find yourself caught up in a money counterfeiting conspiracy as a result of serial number tracking.

Quick Reply

Latest