The Student Room Group

Newcastle United Society Thread III

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Twinport53
Better than Cabella or Ben Arfa? :confused:

Thought Cabella was going to play in the Cabaye role? :confused:

Ben Arfa obviously has explosive talent but in terms of consistency a player like Gnabry would do well. I think you could find room for both anyway, Gnabry is probably going to make it as a 1st team Arsenal player long term.
Reply 61
Original post by Zürich
Thought Cabella was going to play in the Cabaye role? :confused:

Ben Arfa obviously has explosive talent but in terms of consistency a player like Gnabry would do well. I think you could find room for both anyway, Gnabry is probably going to make it as a 1st team Arsenal player long term.

Tbh I don't want to loan players, especially not if they are from clubs higher than us in the league. Unless there is an option to buy.

Cabella will play on either wing, he played mainly LW for Montpellier last season. De jong will play as the CAM behind a lone striker.

Cabaye was our DM alongside Tiote, but built play from the back. He is a totally different player to Cabella and De jong, they are his replacement in the only sense that we will look to them to create through them now, but neither can play the deep lying playmaker role like Yohan did.
Tbh I don't want to loan players, especially not if they are from clubs higher than us in the league. Unless there is an option to buy.

Cabella will play on either wing, he played mainly LW for Montpellier last season. De jong will play as the CAM behind a lone striker.

Cabaye was our DM alongside Tiote, but built play from the back. He is a totally different player to Cabella and De jong, they are his replacement in the only sense that we will look to them to create through them now, but neither can play the deep lying playmaker role like Yohan did.

Fair enough wrt loans, he'll probably end up at a relegation threatened side on loan tbh.

De Jong is an excellent little player tbh(watched him loads at Ajax and he's always looked like a player who could make it in the PL) , think he could be one of the surprise packages of the season.

Imagine Sissoko will be dropped then? Assuming Ben Arfa starts but Pardew seems to blow hot and cold on him really.
Reply 63
Original post by Zürich
Fair enough wrt loans, he'll probably end up at a relegation threatened side on loan tbh.

De Jong is an excellent little player tbh(watched him loads at Ajax and he's always looked like a player who could make it in the PL) , think he could be one of the surprise packages of the season.

Imagine Sissoko will be dropped then? Assuming Ben Arfa starts but Pardew seems to blow hot and cold on him really.

Gnarby has looked good on the odd occasion I have seen him for you, no offence but I don't want our own squad stagnating at the cost to improve somebody for your future XI?

De jong looks decent, he has a good touch and movement, his finishing makes him one of the best in the squad, especially for a number 10. He can't really dribble with the ball, and doesn't really take a man on 1v1, which I presume is down to the fact he isn't very quick and is over 6 foot tall :biggrin:

TBH I would happily drop Tiote and keep Sissoko in CM, he is quicker and stronger and adds something to the team going forward.

I would be happy playing something like... 4-2-3-1

Krul
Janmaat - Mbiwa - New CB - Haidara
Anita - Sissoko
Ben Arfa - De Jong - Cabella
New Striker

I like Riviere in the sense that he is an upgrade on Shola, but he is not good enough to lead the line and get 15 goals a season. He has only scored into double figures once in his career.

I think we need somebody like Lacazette from Lyon or Aubemeyang from Dortmund tbh :frown:

We need a CB who is commanding to play along side Mbiwa, Yanga should be learning from Colo and slowly edge him out of the team over the coming season or 2. But for some reason we seem adamant that Mbiwa isnt good enough for the league when he has played mainly at RB :confused:
Reply 64
Ben Arfa won't be starting this season. He'll be off before the window shuts, He's in the development squad at the minute. I'd take Gnabry on loan off Arsenal like
Original post by Vintage
To be fair Pardew enquired about Tom Cleverly at Man Utd (As he wanted a few more English players) and was quoted a ridiculous £14 million. A) He's not worth that and B) you can get better abroad for cheaper.

No wonder English players in the top division now are a minority. Clubs demanding stupid money for them so other clubs go abroad for cheaper players. :facepalm2: its a vicious cycle that no-ones stopping.

When was this? :laugh: Deary me, he's not worth half that. It's beyond ridiculous some of the fees that English players go for these days, Oxlade Chamberlain £12m when he'd never played above League One, Smalling £10m when he'd played about 5 games, Zaha £15m, Carroll £35m, Downing, Young, Rhodes, Delph,Wickham... I could go on.

I can't see how the ''English tax'' can be stopped anytime soon though, there's so little English talent being produced these days. Supply & demand.
Reply 66
Original post by sr90
When was this? :laugh: Deary me, he's not worth half that. It's beyond ridiculous some of the fees that English players go for these days, Oxlade Chamberlain £12m when he'd never played above League One, Smalling £10m when he'd played about 5 games, Zaha £15m, Carroll £35m, Downing, Young, Rhodes, Delph,Wickham... I could go on.

I can't see how the ''English tax'' can be stopped anytime soon though, there's so little English talent being produced these days. Supply & demand.

Pardew hinted at it in a press conference, He said English midfielder at Man Utd on the fringes of England squad.. It can't be Carrick so it had to be him.

I agree about the English tax, That is why i can't understand how Tom Ince wasn't snapped up by us or an Everton etc.
Reply 67
Jonas, HBA & Obertan all told they can move on. (No Shock There) Jonas is training with another Premier League club (Believed to be Leicester)

Can't believe the way we've treat Jonas. Absolutely disgusting. Just because his next appearance would trigger a one year contract extension (& wage rise)

Although its been hinted at if we get rid of those 3 players we are set to take that Grenier for £8-10m
Still can't believe you gave Obertan a 5 year contract.
So Marveaux has gone on loan.
Reply 70
Grenier missed training for Lyon yesterday :blush:
Reply 71
**** off Pardew, if Hatem is going down, you are coming with him you liar. You can't be fat and be as lean as Hatem.

HATEM BEN ARFA :love:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-united-fcs-cold-war-7542013

http://metro.co.uk/2014/07/31/alan-pardew-must-play-hatem-ben-arfa-to-save-both-their-newcastle-united-careers-4816054/

Hatems agent:

“We don’t know what the problem is. Pardew in the past has said Hatem was extraordinary. Hatem has done everything for Newcastle, every effort has been made ​​to discuss the problem.

“We are in a situation where there doesn’t seem to be a solution. He is simply doing his job: he trains well, he enjoys training with the reserves where he has a great coach in Peter Beardsley.”

On Hatem being fined for being overweight

Hatem Ben Arfa

“It’s unfair and humiliating. We will challenge the fine.

“We asked Newcastle to give us the player’s physical records. Hatem went on vacation with a personal trainer, he has worked to prepare for this season. That 1.5 kg? Yes, it is a pound of muscle and 500 grams of fat. He lost 2% body fat. We therefore challenge the fine.”

“Hatem doesn’t have to leave. He can go on a free after his contract is over six months, or a year, this is not a problem.

“Who knows how long Pardew will be at Newcastle. In two months, he may not be here. Hatem love this club, he is idolised by fans.

“Hatem remain professional and is working hard. He prefers a return to Lyon, but it is not economically feasible. Lyon is his first club, so there is a level of attachment. He loves Bernard Lacombe.

“However, for me, it is very difficult financially Newcastle want a lot of money for Hatem.”

Ben Arfa is a prick, he's fell out with almost every manager he's ever worked with, if you honestly think Pardew is 100% the problem then you're deluded. We'll never know the full story of what's gone on between them due to no one from the club commenting, that doesn't mean that his agent is right though.

And besides, the lads lazy, selfish and unbelievably inconsistent. No better than Taarabt.
Reply 73
Original post by Conzy210
Ben Arfa is a prick, he's fell out with almost every manager he's ever worked with, if you honestly think Pardew is 100% the problem then you're deluded. We'll never know the full story of what's gone on between them due to no one from the club commenting, that doesn't mean that his agent is right though.

And besides, the lads lazy, selfish and unbelievably inconsistent. No better than Taarabt.

Never said he wasn't a prick, but you are deluded if you think Pardew isnt the problem for 95% of our best technical players watching from the bench instead of playing.

Also:

Graeme Bailey ‏@GraemeBailey 56s

Newcastle agree a loan deal with Shakthar Donetsk for striker Facundo Ferreyra.They still want another main striker on permanent deal too.
Never said he wasn't a prick, but you are deluded if you think Pardew isnt the problem for 95% of our best technical players watching from the bench instead of playing.

95% being Marveaux and Ben Arfa? Other than those two I can't think of any two players who haven't had the game time that arguably they deserve. Pardew gets a lot of grief and I don't like the bloke but it's fairly obvious that something fairly big has happened behind the scene with both and that's why Ben Arfa will most likely be following Marv out the door.

And besides, both players are talented but have only ever really showed glimpses of their talent, nothing consistent, and we're not in the position where we can have a passenger playing incase they produce some brilliance.

Anyway;

No idea how good this 'Chucky' lad is, apparently we've tracked him for a while so he may well do decent, but we also tracked Luuk for years and that turned out poorly.

Also seems any deal for Remy is off, Pardew has gone from ''We're interested if he is'' to ''a deal seems unlikely'' after apparently contract talks today, meaning he's rejected us again lol.
Why does Mbiwa even play? He looked to totally indifferent just then when we conceded.
Reply 76
This Rolando Aarons looks an interesting prospect, Shame he'll get Pardewed and sign for Gateshead.

I just can't get excited about any of our transfers or upcoming season with that bell end in charge. I'm hoping we have a **** start to the season so Ashley gets rid of him.
Meet and greet at the Black Page this Tuesday? Anyone going? Sounds like a farewell
Reply 79
You knew Mike Ashley couldn't wait to jump back out the shadows and into controversy. Just as some fans (SOME. Not me) are praising him for spending so much money (Not really much considering Cabaye & Debuchy sales) he decides that all Newcastle backroom staff have to pay for their own complimentary match day tickets. Absolute tight bastard.

Quick Reply

Latest