The Student Room Group

SQA Results' Day Discussion Thread - Tuesday 5 August 2014

Scroll to see replies

[QUOTE="Asklepios;49067788"]
Original post by Hayden97

I would still double check with the universities you're interested in though, just incase :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will do thank you.:smile:
Original post by Asklepios

I would still double check with the universities you're interested in though, just incase :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, a lot of universities have Int 2 B as their minimum requirement!
Yeah I got a D in Higher English. I think I have to resit for university is this correct? I heard most universities ask for it. I am wanting to apply to edinburgh or heriot watt for international business.
Original post by Passwords
This year I took 3 Advanced highers, biology, chemistry and maths. I'm totally happy with biology and chemistry but before I chose them I was considering the three main sciences at advanced highers (Physics instead of maths) but my guidence teacher discouraged me because of the 3 science investigations and I agreed so took maths instead because I was better at it. Now that I got the same grade for both Higher physics and maths I'm beginning to consider physics again because I enjoy most of it more (hated most of Unit 1, liked unit 2 and absolutely loved unit 3)

I should really just ask my question before I ramble more so Are 3 AH science investigations as impossible as people say? And should I take it and endure the mechanics part(which I don't like) just to enjoy the more molecular physics part (which I love)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you want to do it, do it. I had a friend at school who did 4 AH - the 3 sciences and maths mechanics, because he was interested in all 4 and didn't know what to drop and he survived fine. He is smart but wasn't top of the year or anything. My teachers tried to put me off my subject choices in S6 too (although I didn't want to do 3 sciences), its just because they don't want you to feel really overburdened with work but 3 projects is definitely doable.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse

I would've found it impossible, but it's doable. People have done it on this forum before, but if you don't like a large part of the course, and love only a small part of it, you might want to consider that, too!

Original post by Asklepios
It's not that hard to do 3 investigations, loads of people do so. Just stay organised and make sure you get all your practical work done quickly.

In the old AH at least, there was hardly any molecular physics (a bit on quarks and the standard model, but that was it really), but there was a huge chunk on mechanics. I'm not sure how this has changed for the new AH though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the help, the mechanics does put me off a bit though and I still like Maths so its a tough decision. Also I'm not really sure which would be most beneficial to me as I want to do Chemistry at uni. For edinburgh AH maths is recommended as well...

Anyways ill stop derailing this thread from results.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This has been a very pleasant Results Day this year. Lots of happiness, some sadness, no big problems. And now a very tired SAM bids you all a very good evening.
Original post by ScottishScott
Wow thanks so much! :biggrin: How about you, how did you do or were you not waiting on results?

I'm not actually waiting on results, I'm getting my GCSE results on the 21st :smile:
Original post by Decision11
Yeah I got a D in Higher English. I think I have to resit for university is this correct? I heard most universities ask for it. I am wanting to apply to edinburgh or heriot watt for international business.

A 'D' counts as no award unfortunately, so if they ask for it then you would have to resit :yes: Bear in mind if you do resit then you have to resit the entire year's worth of Higher English.
Best of luck :smile:
Original post by mysqa
This has been a very pleasant Results Day this year. Lots of happiness, some sadness, no big problems. And now a very tired SAM bids you all a very good evening.

Thanks for all your help SAM. :biggrin:

Original post by Gingerbread101
A 'D' counts as no award unfortunately, so if they ask for it then you would have to resit :yes: Bear in mind if you do resit then you have to resit the entire year's worth of Higher English.
Best of luck :smile:

A D is an award, but not a pass. :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Passwords
Thanks for the help, the mechanics does put me off a bit though and I still like Maths so its a tough decision. Also I'm not really sure which would be most beneficial to me as I want to do Chemistry at uni. For edinburgh AH maths is recommended as well...

Anyways ill stop derailing this thread from results.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would say maths would be more useful. Only because it is easier to 'pick up' bits of physics you might need in the future but a strong grounding in maths is invaluable :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
x

Original post by Hype en Ecosse

A D is an award, but not a pass. :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whoopsie daisy, there you go :^_^:

I had a check, both Edinburgh and HW only ask for a SG/Int2 pass in English. Did you pass last year? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I think i need to sit it at higher as I noticed that strathcylde uni,wants a B int2. If can just pass it next year that would be great. I probably will see if I can get a tutor for it ,if needed. Thank you for the advice and replys
This is super late but I'm only getting a chance to say it now. Congratulations to you lot who got results today!! :biggrin: :biggrin: I hope you got what you wanted/needed, and if not, try not to worry too much as there's always a way to work around it! :h:

Congrats again! :woo: :party:
I'm asking this on behalf of a friend, any response would be hugely appreciated!

She got ABB at Higher this year. She also has a bunch of SG's, 2A's and a B at Int 2 from last year and is hoping to do a business related degree at Uni. What are the chances of her still being accepted next year? She's planning on taking 1 Advanced Higher and 3 more Highers in 6th year - will the Uni's be likely to give her a conditional offer based on her performance in 6th year?

I had a wee look at some Uni courses with her. If the minimum entry requirements are, for example, BBBC or BBBB does she still have a chance even though she only has 3 Higher this year? I can't see anything written on the courses she's interested in about one sitting/two sittings, but she's worried that because she only has 3 Highers she won't be considered.

Original post by YellowPaiges
I'm asking this on behalf of a friend, any response would be hugely appreciated!

She got ABB at Higher this year. She also has a bunch of SG's, 2A's and a B at Int 2 from last year and is hoping to do a business related degree at Uni. What are the chances of her still being accepted next year? She's planning on taking 1 Advanced Higher and 3 more Highers in 6th year - will the Uni's be likely to give her a conditional offer based on her performance in 6th year?

I had a wee look at some Uni courses with her. If the minimum entry requirements are, for example, BBBC or BBBB does she still have a chance even though she only has 3 Higher this year? I can't see anything written on the courses she's interested in about one sitting/two sittings, but she's worried that because she only has 3 Highers she won't be considered.

Hello!

It completely depends on the university, their requirements and how competitive they are. I would imagine that most universities would be willing to give your friend a conditional offer based on some of their results of 6th year. This is of course after taking into consideration the subjects being taken (and what the ABB was in), the personal statement and the reference. It's not completely ruled but that a university will give her an unconditional based on her 3 Highers this year, but it is unlikely.
:party: omg time to go out and have some fun! anyone else going edinburgh?
Congrats to everyone who got their results today, hope you all got into the unis you wanted :h:
Original post by Ecosse_14
Hello!

It completely depends on the university, their requirements and how competitive they are. I would imagine that most universities would be willing to give your friend a conditional offer based on some of their results of 6th year. This is of course after taking into consideration the subjects being taken (and what the ABB was in), the personal statement and the reference. It's not completely ruled but that a university will give her an unconditional based on her 3 Highers this year, but it is unlikely.

Thanks for your reply, it's kind of you to take the time to help.

I think she was considering Napier/Stirling/RGU...I know she was talking about Edinburgh but that's probably a bit out of reach. Her A was in English, the B's in Business and Geography - she's taking Advanced Business next year but isn't sure what else. It's reassuring to hear that they'll hopefully be willing to hand out a conditional - I'm so out of touch with this exam/Uni business so I haven't been much use!
pathways to get into medicine with 5 C's in fifth year

give me routes advice and tips thanks guys

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending