The Student Room Group

SQA Results' Day Discussion Thread - Tuesday 5 August 2014

Scroll to see replies

I got AABBB (Maths, Geography, English, Human Biology and Chemistry). I left at the end of S5 and I'm working for a year with a firm of solicitors, then going on to do BSc Mathematics at Strathclyde (September 2015) :-) No idea how I got an A for geography and a B for English? Maybe the marking wasn't very harsh this year... Although I was expecting an A for Higher Human Biology so I guess my A for Geography compensates that! Anyone else planning on Maths at Strathclyde? :smile:
Original post by SEANGRAY_
I got AABBB (Maths, Geography, English, Human Biology and Chemistry). I left at the end of S5 and I'm working for a year with a firm of solicitors, then going on to do BSc Mathematics at Strathclyde (September 2015) :-) No idea how I got an A for geography and a B for English? Maybe the marking wasn't very harsh this year... Although I was expecting an A for Higher Human Biology so I guess my A for Geography compensates that! Anyone else planning on Maths at Strathclyde? :smile:

One of my choices will be Maths & Physics at Strathclyde, although I'd prefer Glasgow - so I might see you at Strathy some time...
Original post by jackamakka
One of my choices will be Maths & Physics at Strathclyde, although I'd prefer Glasgow - so I might see you at Strathy some time...

Will maybe see you there then! What else are you applying for? I'm applying for maths at strathclyde, pharmacology at Cale, microbiology at Cale, psychology at Cale and chemistry at strathclyde :smile: my results (AABBB) aren't good enough for Glasgow, but I think Cale looks more relaxed/ fun socially than Glasgow but that's just going from what I've seen online! I don't really know about Strathclyde as I've never ever seen the campus or anything before but I know the maths department is good. I'm also planning on teaching myself advanced higher maths... What are people's thoughts on this? Should I do it or just leave it?
Original post by SEANGRAY_
Will maybe see you there then! What else are you applying for? I'm applying for maths at strathclyde, pharmacology at Cale, microbiology at Cale, psychology at Cale and chemistry at strathclyde :smile: my results (AABBB) aren't good enough for Glasgow, but I think Cale looks more relaxed/ fun socially than Glasgow but that's just going from what I've seen online! I don't really know about Strathclyde as I've never ever seen the campus or anything before but I know the maths department is good. I'm also planning on teaching myself advanced higher maths... What are people's thoughts on this? Should I do it or just leave it?

I'm applying for Maths and Physics at Glasgow (both separately and as joint honours), Maths and Physics at Strathclyde and Physics with Teaching at Strathclyde. My results are AAAAB, which satisfy the requirements for Glasgow and Strathclyde.

If you enjoy maths and you're wanting to take it further, by all means self study Advanced Higher. But if it's not necessary for you, and you don't feel like it's going well, then it might not be the best idea.
Original post by jackamakka
I'm applying for Maths and Physics at Glasgow (both separately and as joint honours), Maths and Physics at Strathclyde and Physics with Teaching at Strathclyde. My results are AAAAB, which satisfy the requirements for Glasgow and Strathclyde.

If you enjoy maths and you're wanting to take it further, by all means self study Advanced Higher. But if it's not necessary for you, and you don't feel like it's going well, then it might not be the best idea.

Cool, thanks!
Original post by jen123456
You may not be interested, but just letting you know, you would definitely get a conditional to study law at strathclyde, probably of around BB at 2 additional highers. :smile: maybe something to look into

Thanks, but one of my As was in Music (the other was English) and I was told by a Strathclyde representative that they wouldn't accept it as a higher for Law? Oh well, I'll keep looking into it nonetheless. Thanks!!!
Reply 2386
Original post by It'sTriggy
Sorry just wondering.

Do you have any work experience for medicine and have you set a date for your ukcat? If so, how long have you been studying for it?

Work experience has been difficult to gain but I have got a few things booked (I hope) for next month or two. And done a few volunteering placements as well. My ukcat is at the start of next month. Studying a month and had tried to familiarise myself every now and then (basically whenever I could be bothered) during the summer :smile:
Do you guys think I'll get an unconditional for Geography and History with AAAAB even though my B was history? :/ (hypothetically with the addition of a good personal statement) - this is for Glasgow by the way.

P.S congrats to everyone on the results, it's great seeing so many doing excellent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got AAAAB (1 mark off an A) the b was in chemistry and I'm just wondering if anyone knows of someone who got into medicine with my results?

Thanks
Original post by MartinLaird
Do you guys think I'll get an unconditional for Geography and History with AAAAB even though my B was history? :/ (hypothetically with the addition of a good personal statement) - this is for Glasgow by the way.

P.S congrats to everyone on the results, it's great seeing so many doing excellent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As you said, with the addition of a good personal statement, it could be possible. Im not sure how much Glasgow offer unconditional offers though, and so it would also depend on that
Original post by The beast97
I got AAAAB (1 mark off an A) the b was in chemistry and I'm just wondering if anyone knows of someone who got into medicine with my results?

Thanks

you should request a remark, if you were to get an A from that it would probably be more managable
But the remark grade wouldn't come before I apply so it's pointless?
Can you get a remark if got a higher grade in your exam than in your prelim?
The closing date for non-priority clerical check or marking review requests is 27 August 2014. The outcome of a clerical check will be delivered to a centre within 10 working days of the receipt of a request; the outcome of a marking review will be delivered to centres from 2 September 2014.

The deadline for medicine applications is the 15th October

You'll never know if you don't try.
Original post by Larissa14
Can you get a remark if got a higher grade in your exam than in your prelim?

Your centre will probably see you to have less of an incentive to do so but you should find out your percentage if possible and if you are close then there is no harm in getting a remark
I got an A in the prelim. Just don't want the grade to go down
Original post by scotland101
Your centre will probably see you to have less of an incentive to do so but you should find out your percentage if possible and if you are close then there is no harm in getting a remark

thanks, i thought you could do it if you got a high prelim mark but a low exam result. Is there a limit to how of your subjects you can put through for this marking?

You said you were 1 mark off an A right? It's upto you whether you want to take the risk that could pay off. I think Medicine is so competitive now that you pretty much need 5 A's to be considered
Original post by scotland101
You said you were 1 mark off an A right? It's upto you whether you want to take the risk that could pay off. I think Medicine is so competitive now that you pretty much need 5 A's to be considered

If you were only 1 mark off an A, the likelihood of your mark to go down far enough to give you a B is very slim, and so the chance that it'll go up is much greater. Obviously, the marker could've had a massive screw up and you could get a B, but as I said the likelihood of that happening is remote. But again, the choice is yours...
Original post by Larissa14
thanks, i thought you could do it if you got a high prelim mark but a low exam result. Is there a limit to how of your subjects you can put through for this marking?

Well your probably best just using it if you are really close to an A like 1 or 2% off as you can actually move up or down a grade and you wouldn't want to move down a grade. Discuss it with your guidance/support teacher at school.

Honestly the new system is a bit confusing to me, it's like the SQA don't have faith in their own markers which doesn't do much to reassure me haha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending