The Student Room Group

Is Business Management a 'Mickey Mouse Degree' ?

So I got AAAA in my highers and was thinking about studying Business, but is it a worthwhile degree? I've heard that some people don't rate it and my friends brother who's at Uni (studying engineering) told me it's a 'mickey mouse' degree.

I'd like to study it at the University of Edinburagh, would much appreciate it if you guys can tell me about the course and if it's highly regarded. Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Who cares what other people think. Is it what you want to do? If so, then go for it. People who think they are higher up than us think they know it all. Seriously, take no notice and go with the flow. It is a degree that will take you to many places.
Depends where you studied it. If it's at a top university/business school then it's valued.
Reply 3
In our uni everyone mocks the business administration students and it has a sort of stigma attached to it.

Though, they're the ones who'll be laughing in the end because they generally end up as highly paid corporates, bankers, managers, etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Squirb
In our uni everyone mocks the business administration students and it has a sort of stigma attached to it.

Though, they're the ones who'll be laughing in the end because they generally end up as highly paid corporates, bankers, managers, etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

May I ask what university this is?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Depends where you studied it. If it's at a top university/business school then it's valued.

I plan to study at either the University of Edinburgh or Strathclyde University, hopefully Edinburgh though . Have to study in Scotland due to free education
Original post by sc1997
I plan to study at either the University of Edinburgh or Strathclyde University, hopefully Edinburgh though . Have to study in Scotland due to free education

They're good universities.
Reply 7
Original post by Squirb

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what I thought, the university stats show that they make some of the most money after university. Just out general nosiness, where and what are you studying?
Reply 8
Original post by Abdul-Karim

Sure, Bath

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by sc1997
That's what I thought, the university stats show that they make some of the most money after university. Just out general nosiness, where and what are you studying?

I do accounting and finance at Bath. I was talking about the business administration course above though. They've started a new business management degree for this coming year too though, not sure how that will pan out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Squirb
I do accounting and finance at Bath. I was talking about the business administration course above though. They've started a new business management degree for this coming year too though, not sure how that will pan out

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay nice! I hope to Business Management or Business and Economics at University of Edinburgh. Is the same stigma attached with International Business?
Reply 11
Original post by sc1997
Okay nice! I hope to Business Management or Business and Economics at University of Edinburgh. Is the same stigma attached with International Business?

I'm not really sure about international business, sorry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Business Management is most certainly a 'mickey mouse' degree. If you want to go into that sort of area read Economics or a similar degree.
Reply 13
Original post by Muppet Science
Business Management is most certainly a 'mickey mouse' degree. If you want to go into that sort of area read Economics or a similar degree.

Out of curiosity, what makes it a 'mickey mouse' degree? The employment rate and pay afterwards is great (from the University of Edinburgh that is)
Original post by sc1997
Out of curiosity, what makes it a 'mickey mouse' degree? The employment rate and pay afterwards is great (from the University of Edinburgh that is)

I have a friend who is reading Business Management and she described some parts of a module as counting...

Admittedly I do not know much about the course but it seems pretty plain to me that it is essentially an Economics degree but watered down and made into a pretty useless degree.
Reply 15
I can't express how much I hate the expression 'mickey mouse subject'. It goes through me.

Seriously, if that's what you want to do, go for it. Especially if you plan to go to a well respected university, why wouldn't it stand you in good stead.
Reply 16
I have a friend who is reading Business Management and she described some parts of a module as counting...

Admittedly I do not know much about the course but it seems pretty plain to me that it is essentially an Economics degree but watered down and made into a pretty useless degree.

what uni is your friend at?

You don't even know what a business management degree entails so you're making yourself look quite stupid here.

My cousin did the course at strathclyde. She did HR and law (is law a Mickey Mouse degree in your opinion?) and is now a well paid HR manager
Original post by sc1997
what uni is your friend at?

Surrey
Original post by Jordooooom
You don't even know what a business management degree entails so you're making yourself look quite stupid here.

My cousin did the course at strathclyde. She did HR and law (is law a Mickey Mouse degree in your opinion?) and is now a well paid HR manager

She did HR and law as post-grad? I admit I don't know much about the course, but it is widely known to be a mickey mouse degree - :dontknow:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending