The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Crazzyyy
I always run out of time in VR Questions, how can I improve it?

Hello again Crazzyyy!

Guess what I'm going to say? Keep practising! This is one of the more difficult, if not the most difficult, subtests in the UKCAT. Not many people complete the VR and get all the answers right.
WHne you say you run out of time, how far behind are you? If you're working through at least 80% (and getting a high % of the answers right), that's pretty good going.
Of the questions you complete, are you getting them correct? If not, work on getting them right before you start timing. If your answers are correct, then it's possible you need to force yourself to move through the questions faster. See our timescale below which you can use to keep yourself on track. If you haven't finished a question but need to move on, just use your gut instinct to answer - this can be quite accurate. And at least you'll have your answer in place should you run out of time.
Also which technique for reading the passage do you use? Most people find that reading the questions first then finding the links in the passage works well for them.
Hope this helps.
Original post by Ross121212
Okay thanks! I find some I can do without using the calculator and some just take too long, not to mention that sometimes the questions are ambiguous in the data they provide. Though I've read it's worth guessing if you start to run out of time.

Also should I read the question before reading the data, I've read that this helps as the data can 'bog you down' of you start analysing it? Or is this down to personal preference?

Hello again Ross121212,

Yes, technique is down to personal preference but I agree, it is easy to get carried away with the amount of data. So the advice to read the questions carefully first and establish what you're being asked to do may work well for you. An example I've noticed is when you're asked to work out which "things" showed the greatest % change over, say, a time period. If you look at the answers, you might spot that you don't need to calculate % on all the "things", just the ones in the answer options. Again, if it's a graph or chart, you might be able to visually eliminate some answers too. I did once see a student laboriously calculate every single percentage. But if he'd read the question properly and looked at the answers, he'd have realised he needed to do only half the amount of work. Another tip - and you would need to read the questions first to do this - is to keep your interim answers. They might come in handy for another part of the question.

Hope this helps a bit
HELP!!! Right this Friday me and 3 friends are all going to see Inbetweeners 2 this Friday well I say we're going to watch it but we might not get in as there's a problem...we're 13 going into Year 9 in September. One of the girls I'm going with is very tall and is 14 in October. I'm 14 this December and when I've got make-up on which is everyday and when I make an effort I look grown up. Another girl I'm going with is 14 in March but bloody hell she's grown up she's absaloutley beautiful to the point she actually looks old enough but can't take the risk. The other one is 14 in May she's very tall to but she don't look so grown up? Any suggestions what we can do? I've heard that for Inbetweeners 2 their asking for ID I mean it's not everyday you bring your passport to the Cinema it's not like it's the airport. And so what we all basically swear all the time I know it's bad but what teenager doesn't? There's not a swear word we don't know. And we know and have seen sex and billions of people have done it that's how there's so many people I mean if it was that bad why does thousand of people do it everyday. The gorgeous person holding the phone wouldn't of been here without it lol. There's nothing us girls haven't seen we've all got boyfriends and we've seen everything so I don't see what the problem is!! What can we do to persuade them or get in I'm a very persuasive person so I need to try please help me with this xxxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gerry Kitchingman
Hello again Ross121212,

Yes, technique is down to personal preference but I agree, it is easy to get carried away with the amount of data. So the advice to read the questions carefully first and establish what you're being asked to do may work well for you. An example I've noticed is when you're asked to work out which "things" showed the greatest % change over, say, a time period. If you look at the answers, you might spot that you don't need to calculate % on all the "things", just the ones in the answer options. Again, if it's a graph or chart, you might be able to visually eliminate some answers too. I did once see a student laboriously calculate every single percentage. But if he'd read the question properly and looked at the answers, he'd have realised he needed to do only half the amount of work. Another tip - and you would need to read the questions first to do this - is to keep your interim answers. They might come in handy for another part of the question.

Hope this helps a bit

Yeah that helps thanks :smile:
Has anyone got the 'Passing the UKCAT and BMAT 8th Edition' ?

If so, has anyone noticed any mistakes? I've came across quite a few, particularly in the Quantitative Reasoning section where they once used CM^2 to measure the length of a side then CM to measure area and that confused me abit... Unless I'm missing something.

Has anyone found anything similar to this in this book- though it is generally a good book?
Original post by mahumk
Hi, I've been practising for the UKCAT intensively for the last few days as my test is next week. I'm not seeing any marked improvement although I feel I'm getting better with timing and understanding the questions. Any advice on what else I can do?

Hi Mahumk,

That's good that you feel more confident with the questions and timing. When you say there is no marked improvement, do you mean with the actual mark you achieve? If that's the case, I wonder if there is one particular section which pulls your mark down. Have you noticed this? If so, you could make use of your last few days and work on this section more than the others.

Another thing you could try is to do a couple more practice tests. For the first one, just concentrate on getting the answers correct with no timing. Then do a second, timed practice. Check the difference in your marks between the two. This will tell you whether you are losing accuracy when working against the clock.

What ever you do, keep on practising but give yourself a break and early bed the night before. There's only so much you can push into your brain before it starts falling out again!

Hope this helps and Best of luck next week.
Reply 86
Original post by Gerry Kitchingman
Hi Mahumk,

That's good that you feel more confident with the questions and timing. When you say there is no marked improvement, do you mean with the actual mark you achieve? If that's the case, I wonder if there is one particular section which pulls your mark down. Have you noticed this? If so, you could make use of your last few days and work on this section more than the others.

Another thing you could try is to do a couple more practice tests. For the first one, just concentrate on getting the answers correct with no timing. Then do a second, timed practice. Check the difference in your marks between the two. This will tell you whether you are losing accuracy when working against the clock.

What ever you do, keep on practising but give yourself a break and early bed the night before. There's only so much you can push into your brain before it starts falling out again!

Hope this helps and Best of luck next week.

DA is my strongest section, but with the others I'm at a constant average of 50% and it hasn't been going up. Some of this is in timed conditions and others just as practice questions. I think the main struggle is the actual questions, especially in quantitative reasoning. In both Verbal and Abstract reasoning I feel as if I'm understanding but am still underperforming!

Thank you for your help, I'll try out the suggestions :smile:
Hi,

Thanks for all the great advice on this thread from the Apply2Medicine staff. I was on the edge of spending a lot of money which I don't have on a course but your advice brought me back from the bring and has helped restore some of my confidence.

Can you post some general strategies for the Decision Analysis section? I feel that I'm improving with it by learning to make sure that the elements are in my choice but I could still use some pointers.

Thank you! :biggrin:
Original post by Crazzyyy
I have more than a month for my ukcat and I want to improve at my QR Section.
Right I have downloaded an ebook and working through it, is there any other way I can improve on it other than the online subscription?

Thank you for all the help

hi could you tell me what e book this is?
Original post by interwebme
Hi,

Thanks for all the great advice on this thread from the Apply2Medicine staff. I was on the edge of spending a lot of money which I don't have on a course but your advice brought me back from the bring and has helped restore some of my confidence.

Can you post some general strategies for the Decision Analysis section? I feel that I'm improving with it by learning to make sure that the elements are in my choice but I could still use some pointers.

Hi Interwebme,

I’m glad we could help and thank you for the feedback!

You are doing the right thing to check your answer option includes all the codes. Do you use the same technique to eliminate incorrect answers? (i.e. not all the codes are used; not in the correct order etc).

It sounds as though you know what you’re doing but here are a few more tips that might help:

The use of tenses: check that your answer contains the correct tense (if there is one). When you’re translating sentence to code, this is a common thing that trips people up. The same applies to the use of “opposite” and “negative”. Especially “negative, because that can mean fewer, less, none or sometimes opposite.

Translate the code literally first and if it doesn’t make sense or seems clumsy, look for a more fluently worded option.

The meaning of words: as you’ve probably seen, the codes can stretch the meaning of words quite a bit. E.g. “shade” can mean a colour or shade as in shadow, shelter or even ghost. The word "person" is another tricksy one as it can mean you, me, he, she, my and so on.

The use of brackets: this trick is used in the exam frequently. It’s when the words that in the code are joined or in brackets, have been split and then their meaning changes. For example, if you had the code (person, building), (wood, structure) it can mean “his house is a log cabin”. Whereas person, building (wood, structure) can mean “he is building a log cabin”. Watch out for these!

Most students seem to find the code to sentence the easier one to do. It’s the sentence to code that is trickier. A tip here, as well as the ones above, which are still relevant, is to work out which words must be joined together or placed in brackets and eliminate any options that don’t contain these.

Remember too that you must select a confidence limit before you can move on to the next question. These don’t count in your mark (at least not this year) but there is no extra time allowed to do this.

Finally, and I hope this reassures you, most students tell me they find DA to be the least gruelling of the tests. They often finish all, or at least all but one or two, of the questions within the time.

I hope this help and good luck with your exam.
Original post by interwebme
Hi,

Hi again Interwebme,

I notice that Mahumk (see post above) says DA is their strongest section. Perhaps you can share some tips?
Reply 91
Follow @a101 on twitter for some tips
Follow @apply2medicine_ on twitter for some tips. :smile:
I missed the recent webinar but i have joined, is thee a link to listen to the webinar?
Hi, I wondered whether you had any tips for preparing the day before and on the day of the exam as my exam is in the afternoon. At the moment I am very stressed and unfortunately this has been exacerbated by the fact that I haven't practised as much as I'd wanted to in the last week, though rescheduling would be very inconvenient for me. Therefore I would greatly appreciate any tips on managing these last couple of days before the exam. Thanks.
do the medify ukcat course! blooody hell the advice they give you is just too good!
Hi! I was trying to watch the recorded AR seminar but for some reason it won't play? :frown:
Original post by sharvarivadeyar
Hi! I was trying to watch the recorded AR seminar but for some reason it won't play? :frown:

How did you get hold of the recorded seminar, even though I joined it won't direct me to AR seminar?
Original post by Elhamm
I missed the recent webinar but i have joined, is thee a link to listen to the webinar?

If you registered for the webinar you should be able to access the archives here:
VR - https://www3.gotomeeting.com/register/643578430
AR - https://www3.gotomeeting.com/register/530715446
Reply 99
750 score - whoop! Thanks for helping me crack those pesky abstracts!

Latest

Trending

Trending