The Student Room Group

SQA Results' Day Discussion Thread - Tuesday 5 August 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L01
If a Uni is looking for ABBB and someone has BBBBC would they consider an offer?

That's a difficult one, you'll need to call and ask

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would health and food technology be a pointless higher. I did it at national 5 but no one really seems to take it in general and I was wondering if unis would look down on that
Original post by ashleymacleod
I might have to change some of my courses and I was thinking of crashing higher geography. Could anybody tell me what it's like?

Good subject to take. You learn about a wide variety of topics, from all the intricacies of the atmosphere, to population growth and demographics, to the devolving world and global health. It's reasonably easy to crash in my opinion. The only downside is the exam is a bit horrid in terms of writing a lot in a shirt space of time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2483
crashing advanced higher geography?
I got AAAAB in my highers so I think I'm just going to have a chill year,

AH history
H art
Int 2 cake decorating (LOL)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just received a lovely email from the University Of Glasgow:

"I am sorry to advise you that the University of Glasgow would not be able to make you an offer for entry in September 2015.

I am sorry to be writing in these disappointing terms"

Great. That's my dreams crushed. I was only one B out as well 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, similar circumstances with me here, don't worry.

Needed BB from maths and physics Got B for maths C for physics :frown:

I'm trying to get the paper remarked but im not too hopeful.

Im going to repeat higher physics at college.

your hopes and dreams aint "Crushed" its just going to take longer for you to achieve them.

hell next year I recon ill be more prepared for uni than I was this year :P
Original post by MartinLaird
I got AAAAB in my highers so I think I'm just going to have a chill year,

AH history
H art
Int 2 cake decorating (LOL)

Posted from TSR Mobile

that cake decorating still counts as a qualification though. Never know it might come in handy :biggrin:
Original post by MrFulton1
Just received a lovely email from the University Of Glasgow:

"I am sorry to advise you that the University of Glasgow would not be able to make you an offer for entry in September 2015.

I am sorry to be writing in these disappointing terms"

Great. That's my dreams crushed. I was only one B out as well 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't give up, have you thought about college courses? It may take longer but you can go to uni after college and you'll have more experience and maybe more money

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys, I'm in a real dilemma right now. I've basically been denied from both my insurance and firm offers because seemingly the SQA have messed up one of my marks, according to the teachers, who also believe that something has gone wrong along the way. Anyway, I've been offered this one course in clearing but it's partly related to what I wanted to do, but it has a huge part of something which I dreaded doing in it and was trying to avoid. If I was to pick this course, would there be any chance I could move to something else if it popped up in clearing at a later stage? Or maybe I could try calling around in the first week to see if anything is up for grabs at other Universities?

Please help me, thanks.
Original post by Confused!
Guys, I'm in a real dilemma right now. I've basically been denied from both my insurance and firm offers because seemingly the SQA have messed up one of my marks, according to the teachers, who also believe that something has gone wrong along the way. Anyway, I've been offered this one course in clearing but it's partly related to what I wanted to do, but it has a huge part of something which I dreaded doing in it and was trying to avoid. If I was to pick this course, would there be any chance I could move to something else if it popped up in clearing at a later stage? Or maybe I could try calling around in the first week to see if anything is up for grabs at other Universities?

Please help me, thanks.

That's a hard one. Have you thought about a re-mark? College? Repeats?

If you're not 100% you want to do this course you have been offered in clearing then don't do it. you may be able to change after a year but the modules offered would have to match up (I would assume) and even then you aren't guaranteed a place. You could be stuck on this course for 4+ years.

I missed my offer by one grade (needed B, got C) and I'm going to be re-sitting it at college. So maybe that's an option, night classes and work for a year?

you could even travel for a bit!
Yep, an urgent appeal has been sent in and I'm currently waiting on the result. The course is done through a college for two years which means I won't be able to mix and match modules to my choice but I will be able to use all the facilities in the University like I'm a full-time student there. Basically it's a uni course done in college for 2 years and then its uni full time from then on. I have been given a place through a verbal offer so far but I can't find anything else. I don't know if holding out on clearing will be any use because everyone seems to be saying the same thing, ''Scottish places are full'', but surely they will have something if someone from England etc doesn't apply to them by the end? I really don't want to go down the college route because our family plans are to move to Canada once I finish Uni which will not work out if I spend two years in college and then defer into Uni. Besides, doesn't it cost to go to college and then uni? Even then, you're not guaranteed a place. Travelling is no problem though, I got a car and was willing to go to Edinburgh if needs must but I can't find anything in clearing and it's driving me crazy!
Original post by Confused!
Yep, an urgent appeal has been sent in and I'm currently waiting on the result. The course is done through a college for two years which means I won't be able to mix and match modules to my choice but I will be able to use all the facilities in the University like I'm a full-time student there. Basically it's a uni course done in college for 2 years and then its uni full time from then on. I have been given a place through a verbal offer so far but I can't find anything else. I don't know if holding out on clearing will be any use because everyone seems to be saying the same thing, ''Scottish places are full'', but surely they will have something if someone from England etc doesn't apply to them by the end? I really don't want to go down the college route because our family plans are to move to Canada once I finish Uni which will not work out if I spend two years in college and then defer into Uni. Besides, doesn't it cost to go to college and then uni? Even then, you're not guaranteed a place. Travelling is no problem though, I got a car and was willing to go to Edinburgh if needs must but I can't find anything in clearing and it's driving me crazy!

Have you considered a "2+2" where you do two years in college where you gain a HND. and then a further two years in Uni to get your degree? a HND can be used to apply for year 3 In uni. where are you hoping to study? and what?
Reply 2493
I got BBBBC this year and I wanted to study law but the entry requirements want AABB. should I abandon law?
tbh id say yeah cos thats quite a large gap between what u got and what u need plus the competition for law is quite high. Is there anything else u would like to do?
Reply 2495
Original post by tinababy
tbh id say yeah cos thats quite a large gap between what u got and what u need plus the competition for law is quite high. Is there anything else u would like to do?

I'm going into 6th year so I'll be picking up a few extra highers so I may get an A in them. is there a chance if I get good higher grades this year?
Original post by OxFox
I'm going into 6th year so I'll be picking up a few extra highers so I may get an A in them. is there a chance if I get good higher grades this year?

Firstly, if i were you id email or phone the uni you would consider going to and ask if thats a possibility. If they say yes m you would probably have to get realy good predictions for next year and then really really good marks to get in. Dont give up tho. Even if it takes a year or two longer to get ur dream job thats better than being stuck with one you hate for your whole entire professional career.
Original post by Con08
What subjects is everyone taking for s6?

AH Maths
AH Physics
AH French
H Computing
Original post by OxFox

A girl in the year above mine got into Dundee university for law, and had offers from various other uni's (except glasgow) with worse grades than yours. I'd think you'd definitely get a conditional, some uni's also offer summer school programmes, which if you complete, can aid your chances of getting in, even sometimes without the grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2499
Original post by Bott
crashing advanced higher geography?

I'd say it's one of the best subjects to crash. You don't really need to know anything from previous standard grades/national 5, and if you do, it is included in the higher course so you don't have to go and learn it yourself. The good thing is that Higher geography is basically a slightly more complicated version of Standard Grade georaphy, so you didn't miss out on much. Geography is also very highly valued by unis as it teaches many skills and has a very broad subject matter, and doesn't just stick with Geography, it goes into Modern Studies, History, Geology, Sociology, Chemistry, Biology, so it's a great, broad and relatively easy crash higher to do! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending