The Student Room Group

Question about retaking as levels?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by frozo123
wow that's so good man! Impressed:wink:
what exam board were they haha?
hmm okay, ever thought of Dentistry or Medicine?

Haha thanks :smile:.

I did AQA for Maths, Physics and Biology along with Edexcel for Chemistry.

I did think about it at one point, but you need work experience and other tests such as BMAT which is fine but I'm a very lazy person so even if I did manage all that, I would just slack off and ruin it for myself.

Since you mentioned BMAT, I'm guessing that you're going for Medicine?
Reply 21
Original post by Trainz
Haha thanks :smile:.

I did AQA for Maths, Physics and Biology along with Edexcel for Chemistry.

I did think about it at one point, but you need work experience and other tests such as BMAT which is fine but I'm a very lazy person so even if I did manage all that, I would just slack off and ruin it for myself.

Since you mentioned BMAT, I'm guessing that you're going for Medicine?

Oh fair enough:smile: yep I did Edexcel Chemistry too

well are you considering oxford or cambridge? You could do natural science there:smile: and yeah I am
Reply 22
Original post by frozo123
Oh fair enough:smile: yep I did Edexcel Chemistry too

well are you considering oxford or cambridge? You could do natural science there:smile: and yeah I am

My GCSE grades aren't too great so I probably won't apply to those unis since they put a lot of emphasis on GCSE grades from what I've heard. What about you, are you considering oxford or cambridge?

I can see why you want to retake now. Good luck with your BMAT! :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by Trainz
My GCSE grades aren't too great so I probably won't apply to those unis since they put a lot of emphasis on GCSE grades from what I've heard. What about you, are you considering oxford or cambridge?

I can see why you want to retake now. Good luck with your BMAT! :smile:

Nope I don't think I'll fit in with those guys haha, and Cambridge want 95%+ in their Modules which I didn't get in most of them
thanks!
Cambridge actually don't put a huge amount of emphasis on GCSEs, so long as you meet the AS standards. Oxford like there to be majority A*s, probably 6+, however prior to not achieving anywhere near what I'd hoped at AS, I was on our college Oxbridge programme, and was told my GCSEs of 7As 3A*s and a B shouldn't be an issue for Cambridge. Obviously every case is different, however although Cambridge average at 6A*s at GCSE, that's not what they look for, more the average of what their students achieved just happened to be 6+ :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by notcoolnerd
Cambridge actually don't put a huge amount of emphasis on GCSEs, so long as you meet the AS standards. Oxford like there to be majority A*s, probably 6+, however prior to not achieving anywhere near what I'd hoped at AS, I was on our college Oxbridge programme, and was told my GCSEs of 7As 3A*s and a B shouldn't be an issue for Cambridge. Obviously every case is different, however although Cambridge average at 6A*s at GCSE, that's not what they look for, more the average of what their students achieved just happened to be 6+ :smile:

Well I rather not risk it now anyway because I only have 7a*s and then I don't average 95% in my modules haha

Quick Reply

Latest