The Student Room Group

somebody please explain what is happening to as and alevels?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Humzaawan123
yes labor said that they will stop the A-level reforms.... so looks like i know who i am voting for , i really hope they win because i really don't want to do these new A-levels.

VOTE LABOR....i'm gonna die if i do English lit with no coursework i mean are you kidding me

Good luck, I'll be voting labour too, but not just for this. Glad I did a BTEC anyway :wink:
Original post by Invest
Yes. Because the new system is happening with a handful of options such as AQA sciences

How exactly are the AQA sciences changing before Sept 2015? As far as I am aware it isn't. I know January exams have been scrapped and the AQA ISA/EMPAs have changed slightly in terms of timelines but that has already happened.
(edited 9 years ago)
For ****s sake

September 2015 is the year I start a levels

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 06shawm
Say your starting sixth form in 2015, you would select 3 A levels and 1 AS that you want to study. You will take the exam for the AS in 2016. You will take the 3 A levels in 2017. So the total time is 2 years in post 16 education.

So we only get a few exams in year 12 for the one AS we're doing?
Say if I took Chemistry (A2) Biology (A2) English lit (A2) and German (AS)
In year 12 the only examinations I'd be sitting would be for German?

Sorry if I'm not catching onto this :confused:
Original post by ImagineCats
So we only get a few exams in year 12 for the one AS we're doing?
Say if I took Chemistry (A2) Biology (A2) English lit (A2) and German (AS)
In year 12 the only examinations I'd be sitting would be for German?

Sorry if I'm not catching onto this :confused:

That is one of the possible scenarios. So yes you would only sit examinations in year 12 in german AS. The other scenario which is more likely:

You take Chemistry (AS) Biology (AS) English lit (AS) and German (AS) in year 12. You will sit the AS examinations for these. Once you have your results you will decide which ones you want to study at A level, A2 will no longer exist. AS and A level will be totally separate qualifications. So the marks that you achieved at AS will not have an affect on your A level results. Your A level grades will be solely determined by how you perform in your A level exams at the end of year 13.
Original post by 06shawm
That is one of the possible scenarios. So yes you would only sit examinations in year 12 in german AS. The other scenario which is more likely:

You take Chemistry (AS) Biology (AS) English lit (AS) and German (AS) in year 12. You will sit the AS examinations for these. Once you have your results you will decide which ones you want to study at A level, A2 will no longer exist. AS and A level will be totally separate qualifications. So the marks that you achieved at AS will not have an affect on your A level results. Your A level grades will be solely determined by how you perform in your A level exams at the end of year 13.

Ah I see. So it's basically the same as the previous years (the whole dropping a subject thing), but it's each year is worth 100% for each qualification? (AS and A2). Thanks so much for helping!
Also, does this mean overall we'll have more/less qualifications? Or the same? Thanks!
Ah I see. So it's basically the same as the previous years (the whole dropping a subject thing), but it's each year is worth 100% for each qualification? (AS and A2). Thanks so much for helping!
Also, does this mean overall we'll have more/less qualifications? Or the same? Thanks!

Yes, exactly. They are now independent of each other. I presume more, but we'll have too see how it actually works when it is officially introduced in 2015.
Original post by 06shawm
Yes, exactly. They are now independent of each other. I presume more, but we'll have too see how it actually works when it is officially introduced in 2015.

Thank you for the help! If you don't mind me asking, where did you get all this info from?
Thank you for the help! If you don't mind me asking, where did you get all this info from?

No problem! All the information can be found on the exam board websites. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest