Like...

"I'm going to read law at xyz university"

Mate.. go read a book.

-_-

Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

I find it's more foreigners who use it.
Reply 2
Hahaha I was thinking the exact same thing before!!
It only sounds good if you say something along the lines of 'i'm going to read law at oxford'. Imagine if I started telling people I was going to read psychology and criminology at Salford, what a total dick I'd sound haha
Well, they will be reading a hell of a lot of Law at university if they do it right, so you can't really fault them.
Lmfao i find it really cringeworthy when people say read instead of study :lol:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I find it's more foreigners who use it.

Yeah its da freshies
Original post by jhumfy
Hahaha I was thinking the exact same thing before!!
It only sounds good if you say something along the lines of 'i'm going to read law at oxford'. Imagine if I started telling people I was going to read psychology and criminology at Salford, what a total dick I'd sound haha

Sounds cool if you have Oxbridge.. but other than that it's just... "stop forcing it."

It could be worse.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
These kids sound so pretentious :/

You're not upper class, allow yourself.

Like...

"I'm going to read law at xyz university"

Mate.. go read a book.

-_-

Thoughts?

I would disagree, everyone who I know who has a degree read so and so (mainly law).
Try doing a degree without reading and tell us all how it goes.
Original post by Jammy Duel
Try doing a degree without reading and tell us all how it goes.

:lol:

But you don't say I read xyz at A levels.

-_-
:lol:

But you don't say I read xyz at A levels.

-_-

But I do, because for most degrees that's what you will be doing a lot of the time.
I agree completely.

If someone were to tell me they are "reading" a subject, or if they were to ask me what I was "reading" I would never speak to them again beyond that conversation.

It's mostly old people though
But I do, because for most degrees that's what you will be doing a lot of the time.

I prefer to play games over read. So should I say

I'm going to play game at xyz university
Original post by martin jol
I agree completely.

If someone were to tell me they are "reading" a subject, or if they were to ask me what I was "reading" I would never speak to them again beyond that conversation.

It's mostly old people though

Someone said that at some event I went to.. I nearly burst out laughing. I was like "matee.... who do you think you are"
Reply 15
I think writing it on Personal statement and cover letters, it's fine. Saying it in convos with people is a bit off I gotta admit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
If you say read instead of study I will presume you're a private school educated southerner that'll be getting all their funding from dear old mummy and daddy rather than SFE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I prefer to play games over read. So should I say

I'm going to play game at xyz university

Suppose you could say that if you're failing.
I always say 'read.' People generally make the assumption that I'm upper class/posh. I may as well add to that assumption.
Suppose you could say that if you're failing.

How about if I'm doing a gaming course?

Quick Reply

Latest