The Student Room Group

GDL Funding help??

I'm about to start the GDL course this September & believed I could apply for the Professional and Career Development loan, however turns out for the GDL you can't!

So after all this false information I'm now stuck!

Anyone any suggestions or able to tell me how you funding yours?!

Any help is much appreciated :-D

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I was in your dilemma last year, I found out about the loan from Barclays themselves, who told me I could apply for it directly through them.

I filled out tons of paperwork, signed various documents and was told by the manager of the branch that this was a "sure thing". In hindsight I should have done my own research, but being assured by the manager of the branch at the time validated itself to me really. Anyway, to cut a long story short, two weeks before I was due to begin the GDL at UoL Moorgate, I receive a letter in the mail (after months had gone already by following submitting all the documentation) that stated I was ineligible for the loan as you don't actually go straight out to work following the GDL.

I deferred to start this year instead (**** you very much Barclays) and have secured UoL's new MetroBank loan (http://www.law.ac.uk/postgraduate/metro-bank-loan-scheme-faqs/) whilst also stashing some dollar away from the past few months of working.

uoL's new loan scheme was released last week and I believe (off the top of my head) that BPP also have a loan scheme. Suppose the most important question is where are you going to study the GDL?
Reply 2
Thanks for this, glad it wasn't just me! Feel I could have been sorted much sooner if it wasn't for all the false information everyone is happy giving out!

I've accepted a place at UCLAN, but currently wondering if its too late to have a look into these two others?
Reply 3
Yeah I know exactly how you feel. Those front office morons at Barclays are absolute bellends. Utterly clueless.

Each loan is exclusive to the school providing them, so you'd need to have accepted a place at UoL (CoL) to apply for their loan and the same thing with BPP.

Time is of the essence, so I'd suggest making some calls to various people so you can get some reliable information. I'd probably start with UCLAN's student finance department!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Tucks
I was in your dilemma last year, I found out about the loan from Barclays themselves, who told me I could apply for it directly through them.

I filled out tons of paperwork, signed various documents and was told by the manager of the branch that this was a "sure thing". In hindsight I should have done my own research, but being assured by the manager of the branch at the time validated itself to me really. Anyway, to cut a long story short, two weeks before I was due to begin the GDL at UoL Moorgate, I receive a letter in the mail (after months had gone already by following submitting all the documentation) that stated I was ineligible for the loan as you don't actually go straight out to work following the GDL.

I deferred to start this year instead (**** you very much Barclays) and have secured UoL's new MetroBank loan (http://www.law.ac.uk/postgraduate/metro-bank-loan-scheme-faqs/) whilst also stashing some dollar away from the past few months of working.

uoL's new loan scheme was released last week and I believe (off the top of my head) that BPP also have a loan scheme. Suppose the most important question is where are you going to study the GDL?

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=VZ_-B7d6ghIC&pg=PA186&lpg=PA186&dq=box+v+midland+bank&source=bl&ots=c5tK4hdnHr&sig=0wMRRsCUAaL2XXnMHgV_-cCQtfY&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Bl3WU_n0J6mq0QX9roCIBA&ved=0CDgQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=box%20v%20midland%20bank&f=false

Box v Midland Bank.

A real world application of contract law, surely not?
Reply 5
Thanks!!

Fingers crossed 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6

Seems like an extremely similar situation. It wasn't like it was a random trainee who made the assurances to me either, it was the branch head honcho.

Got a first hand head start on contract law it seems!
Original post by Tucks
Seems like an extremely similar situation. It wasn't like it was a random trainee who made the assurances to me either, it was the branch head honcho.

Got a first hand head start on contract law it seems!

Pursue it :tongue:
He had a duty to exercise reasonable skill and care, and if you relied on his misrepresentation in some way then there might be an actionable claim,
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by tehforum
Pursue it :tongue:
He had a duty to exercise reasonable skill and care, and if you relied on his misrepresentation in some way then there might be an actionable claim,

Haha, I would, if I had the time and the resources buddy!
I'm in exactly the same boat. I knew I was applying kind of late (I was expecting to work abroad for a year but my work visa fell through) and so wouldn't be able to get a traineeship for the GDL this year, but because there's there's so much confusing, outdated information out there on various law careers advice sites cheerfully promising that its easy to get a Careers Development Loan to fund the GDL, and because I have no student debt so far (I did my BA abroad on a scholarship), I figured it wouldn't be a problem to take on a small debt for this year, and apply in the coming year for traineeships/scholarships that would take me through the LPC/BPTC. I also went in-person to Barclays and was assured that it should be no problem. Got my offer to study the GDL at Northumbria and phoned up the national careers service...and discovered that I'm kind of stuck.
So I'm also looking for any advice on how to fund this on my own without deferring. Surely there must be loan options out there that aren't exclusive to particular institutions (e.g. UoL's agreement with Metrogate, BBP's with Investec)?
Original post by daedalus2014
I'm in exactly the same boat. I knew I was applying kind of late (I was expecting to work abroad for a year but my work visa fell through) and so wouldn't be able to get a traineeship for the GDL this year, but because there's there's so much confusing, outdated information out there on various law careers advice sites cheerfully promising that its easy to get a Careers Development Loan to fund the GDL, and because I have no student debt so far (I did my BA abroad on a scholarship), I figured it wouldn't be a problem to take on a small debt for this year, and apply in the coming year for traineeships/scholarships that would take me through the LPC/BPTC. I also went in-person to Barclays and was assured that it should be no problem. Got my offer to study the GDL at Northumbria and phoned up the national careers service...and discovered that I'm kind of stuck.
So I'm also looking for any advice on how to fund this on my own without deferring. Surely there must be loan options out there that aren't exclusive to particular institutions (e.g. UoL's agreement with Metrogate, BBP's with Investec)?

The Co-op offer a Career Development Loan of up to 10k... don't know if that's of any help?
Reply 11
It's the same as the Barclays one...not able to get it for the GDL. Nightmare!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm the same - accepted GDL place with Northumbria but no funding...might have to withdraw as don't know where else to look? Nobody in my family have any money or any means to help me either so that's not even an option :-( Has any one had any luck finding anything?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
No sorry. Think it's a case of trying to find it myself. The university of law (if I'm right) offer funding (I think) but only at certain places. Would have to double check that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by elaine77
I'm the same - accepted GDL place with Northumbria but no funding...might have to withdraw as don't know where else to look? Nobody in my family have any money or any means to help me either so that's not even an option :-( Has any one had any luck finding anything?

I was in the same position as you (as I said in a post earlier in this thread).

My family also struggle for money, so I had to defer a year to figure it all out; originally I planned to work for the year and try to save up enough to fund my tuition after deferring. Jobs, as I learnt, are scarce and it didn't work out at all. I was never going to find enough money purely through working whilst helping my family out at the same time. Saying this, deferring for a year and working to get the money may be a viable option for you?

Other than that, I don't know what to suggest really. I lucked out with UoL's Metro Bank loan and I start the GDL in September, a year later than I had planned. Unfortunately UoL's loan is like BPP's and is exclusive to students studying with the University that offers it.

However, the past year's experiences have steeled my mind and have humbled my outlook as well. I am much more focused than I was last September, so in some ways, deferral was a good thing for me.

You have to consider your choices seriously. There are deadlines as to when you can pull out of a course; a "cooling-off" period if you will. If you pass a specific date after accepting your place, the University may lock you in and you'll be stuck with footing the bill for a large amount of money.

It's a hard choice to make, but if you don't think you'll 100% be able to secure funding, you'd best withdraw from the course before it's too late and re-asses your options.

I speak from experience; it's terrible knowing you have a place to study and yet can't find the money to fund it. However, it's an even worse feeling being contractually bound to a bill for (in my case) £10,000 tuition which you may not ever find a viable means to pay.

Just don't panic (like I did). Assess your options both swiftly and logically. Your best option right now is to contact your University by phone and firstly ask them the timeline for withdrawal/deferral and secondly, ask them if they can advise you on how to move forward. They probably have experience dealing with these situations, so they may have suggestions regarding how you could secure funding or regarding what your next move should be.

I'm tired, so I apologise if my thoughts are a little jumbled, but I hope you catch what I'm trying to say. I'm certainly no expert so please don't take my word as definitive; as I said, your best bet is to contact your University by phone or in person. If you have any questions for me, I'm more than happy to share what I've experienced over the past year.

Good luck.
Original post by Tucks
I was in the same position as you (as I said in a post earlier in this thread).

My family also struggle for money, so I had to defer a year to figure it all out; originally I planned to work for the year and try to save up enough to fund my tuition after deferring. Jobs, as I learnt, are scarce and it didn't work out at all. I was never going to find enough money purely through working whilst helping my family out at the same time. Saying this, deferring for a year and working to get the money may be a viable option for you?

Other than that, I don't know what to suggest really. I lucked out with UoL's Metro Bank loan and I start the GDL in September, a year later than I had planned. Unfortunately UoL's loan is like BPP's and is exclusive to students studying with the University that offers it.

However, the past year's experiences have steeled my mind and have humbled my outlook as well. I am much more focused than I was last September, so in some ways, deferral was a good thing for me.

You have to consider your choices seriously. There are deadlines as to when you can pull out of a course; a "cooling-off" period if you will. If you pass a specific date after accepting your place, the University may lock you in and you'll be stuck with footing the bill for a large amount of money.

It's a hard choice to make, but if you don't think you'll 100% be able to secure funding, you'd best withdraw from the course before it's too late and re-asses your options.

I speak from experience; it's terrible knowing you have a place to study and yet can't find the money to fund it. However, it's an even worse feeling being contractually bound to a bill for (in my case) £10,000 tuition which you may not ever find a viable means to pay.

Just don't panic (like I did). Assess your options both swiftly and logically. Your best option right now is to contact your University by phone and firstly ask them the timeline for withdrawal/deferral and secondly, ask them if they can advise you on how to move forward. They probably have experience dealing with these situations, so they may have suggestions regarding how you could secure funding or regarding what your next move should be.

I'm tired, so I apologise if my thoughts are a little jumbled, but I hope you catch what I'm trying to say. I'm certainly no expert so please don't take my word as definitive; as I said, your best bet is to contact your University by phone or in person. If you have any questions for me, I'm more than happy to share what I've experienced over the past year.

Good luck.

Thank you for replying to me,

I just received my induction booklet and a 14 day cooling off so I think I am going to email them this week and withdraw as I have no way of securing the funding.

I feel like I am stuck between a rock and a hard place because I don't even want to be a solicitor as such, I want to be a Barrister, and a criminal prosecution one at that! Coming from the background I come from and having no money or links with anyone or anywhere I'm worried I'm just hoping for something that's never gonna happen...

My A-Level results are not great as I had to work and earn money whilst doing them, not to mention they were taken a decade ago when they were much harder! My degree is good, a high 2.1, and its in Crime Science which I thought might give me an edge over other applicants, especially for criminal law, but I also feel a bit bound by my geographical location which is in the worst part of the country (north east) for any type of professional employment. Then there's the fact that the majority of big firms are commercial, not so much criminal.

On the other hand, working in any other sort of job or field just makes me feel depressed as this is all I have wanted to do since the age of 12....

So hard, just don't know what to do for the best...
Reply 16
Criminal seems to be a bit harder atm due to no more legal aid.

However I would suggest try & gain some work experience. That way you start to make good connections & understand how other people made it.

There is always the option of securing a job within a solicitors/chambers in the hope that they will help you progress or in some cases fund the course for you. It does depend on the firm however & would require a lot of research but could be worth it in the long run.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by elaine77
Thank you for replying to me,

I just received my induction booklet and a 14 day cooling off so I think I am going to email them this week and withdraw as I have no way of securing the funding.

I feel like I am stuck between a rock and a hard place because I don't even want to be a solicitor as such, I want to be a Barrister, and a criminal prosecution one at that! Coming from the background I come from and having no money or links with anyone or anywhere I'm worried I'm just hoping for something that's never gonna happen...

My A-Level results are not great as I had to work and earn money whilst doing them, not to mention they were taken a decade ago when they were much harder! My degree is good, a high 2.1, and its in Crime Science which I thought might give me an edge over other applicants, especially for criminal law, but I also feel a bit bound by my geographical location which is in the worst part of the country (north east) for any type of professional employment. Then there's the fact that the majority of big firms are commercial, not so much criminal.

On the other hand, working in any other sort of job or field just makes me feel depressed as this is all I have wanted to do since the age of 12....

So hard, just don't know what to do for the best...

Believe me, I know that Scylla and Charybdis feeling. Despite everything, I implore you to follow your dream, but at the same time you must remain realistic, even if that means delaying or even halting the chase temporarily, just as I have done.

Despite my background (which I suspect is similar to yours), I have had the chance to work at various financial institutions globally and despite the prospects, they've never given me that sense of passion that I feel for a profession in law, despite it being the much harder route. So I really empathise with you there as well.

Location is largely irrelevant when considering the GDL; from what I understand, it's generally the same material across the board. Obviously there will be differences in things such as practical applications in the City, etc.

Have you considered the Graduate LLB at all? I'm not too versed in the specifics, but from my very limited knowledge, it may turn out to be a better option for you? Or maybe have a look at the part time GDL?

Before you outright withdraw, make sure you discuss your situation with them first, they may be able to help you out. If they make promises, get it in writing, these institutions are businesses after all. Also, take a little time (not too much!) to really make sure you've researched every avenue.
(edited 9 years ago)
I already asked them and they said to look at charitable trusts for help but all that the Uni could offer was an Access to learning fund which isn't allowed to be used on fees just maintenance...which is not what I need, its the fees I can't cover..

I don't think the GDL location matters its the applications for pupillage's...or even TCs.. up here there are hardly any opportunities and probably lots and lots of graduates applying for them..

I posted in another thread and have been told to basically give up as I have no chance lol... It certainly looks that way anyway....
Reply 19
You do have a chance but it might take you longer than you thought.

I met a girl during work experience who was able to work as a legal secretary & do the GDL part time while funding it herself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending