The Student Room Group

I need help, I'm sick with worry!!!

I'm in year 10 and this year I sat edexcel core science! I found the three exams fine, I knew roughly what marks I had attained and in physics which was 42 out of 60! However as the results day draws closer I started going over the physics exam in my head, I knew every question I answered correctly and adding them up they came to 35! In a panic I am frantically adding up e marks on a calculator, worrying constantly about the grade boundaries and feeling generally down! I add up different amounts of marks for each question incase I've had things wrong! The lowest mark I've got is 30 and now the highest 38 what's happening to me, am I losing my mind??!! Why am I forgetting the marks and questions I thought I had had correct? Why am I forgetting the questions and constantly thinking of the worst possible outcome? J don't want to fail! I don't want to disappoint anyone! To top it all off, on Thursday, results day, I'm flying to Vegas for a weeks holiday with my parents and my brother, if I fail I'll ruin the holiday, it's all I'll think about!!! I would have basically the on away £4000!! I'm so worried, I feel sick, I stay up late worrying, quietly adding up my marks over and over !! Please, I need someone to help me calm down, I don't want to see my GP at all, I'm too scared to tell my parents how I feel!
Reply 1
Original post by lewishowell
I'm in year 10 and this year I sat edexcel core science! I found the three exams fine, I knew roughly what marks I had attained and in physics which was 42 out of 60! However as the results day draws closer I started going over the physics exam in my head, I knew every question I answered correctly and adding them up they came to 35! In a panic I am frantically adding up e marks on a calculator, worrying constantly about the grade boundaries and feeling generally down! I add up different amounts of marks for each question incase I've had things wrong! The lowest mark I've got is 30 and now the highest 38 what's happening to me, am I losing my mind??!! Why am I forgetting the marks and questions I thought I had had correct? Why am I forgetting the questions and constantly thinking of the worst possible outcome? J don't want to fail! I don't want to disappoint anyone! To top it all off, on Thursday, results day, I'm flying to Vegas for a weeks holiday with my parents and my brother, if I fail I'll ruin the holiday, it's all I'll think about!!! I would have basically the on away £4000!! I'm so worried, I feel sick, I stay up late worrying, quietly adding up my marks over and over !! Please, I need someone to help me calm down, I don't want to see my GP at all, I'm too scared to tell my parents how I feel!

I'm in year 11 and I'll be getting my GCSE results Thursday. Basically just try your hardest not to think about it. If I go over all the mistakes I made I drive myself mad. At the moment I'm just trying to distract myself so I don't think about it. For me watching a few youtube videos or going for a jog usually makes me forget. I'm sure you've done better than you think. So just try to calm down and relax. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your holiday! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
omg I'm in year 10 too, and I'm so scared.
I took the science test as well, and as far as I can remember, a lot of the questions on the physics paper were multiple choice. (I sat Edexcel).
OMG I'm so scared!!!
I just want a 'C' and above.
Do you think people achieve higher than their mock grades? :confused:
P.S: I know I failed Chemistry because I asked my piers what they got after the test, and I gave the wrong answer for every question.

Thinking about your exams is the single worst thing you can possibly do. As someone suffering from anxiety, I know that's easier said than done - I was nervous about my exams non-stop from the point I finished them to when I got my results. But there's a difference between being nervous - which you can deal with - and flat-out panic - which is unhealthy. When I finish an exam, I make it my aim never to think about it again. I don't go over questions and I certainly do not start adding up my marks and trying to work out what I've got. Since the mark schemes are not publicly available until months after results day, you have absolutely no way of knowing how many marks you actually got, regardless of what you do. Anyone who claims it's possible to work out your own score is lying. It isn't. Don't worry about a mark you don't even know if you got!

Another thing I noticed it that your perception of how your exam went gets worse over time. I finished my AS levels thinking I did quite well, whereas just before results day I had convinced myself that I had failed catastrophically (I hadn't). Worrying about your performance is natural and as I've said, it's really impossible to judge how well you did. So stressing about it isn't helpful.

You also need to put things into perspective. You're in Year 10. Despite what people have told you, your exam results at this level really do not matter very much at all. Even if you completely failed (which I know you haven't) - it wouldn't matter very much! Once you've finished your GCSEs, nobody really cares that much about them. To claim that they're unimportant is not completely accurate, but they are definitely, definitely not the end of the world. I'm sure you've done much better than you think but even if your results are disappointing, do not panic. I know that getting disappointing results is not nice, but you have to realise that these results don't mean very much. They definitely will not ruin your holiday. You'll probably have forgotten about them after a few days, whatever the outcome. Of course your family wants you to do well, but they're not going to disown you if you do less well than expected on a test that is really not that important!

Basically, you need to chill out. I know that this is a lot easier said than done and it's a bit hypocritical since I certainly wasn't chilled out. But you've got to understand that worrying about your results doesn't help anything, and analysing your exam performance is extremely unhelpful. Most importantly - think of these exams as mocks for trial exams. Your final GCSE exams in Year 11 are a little bit important because they might affect which college or sixth form you go to, but even they aren't that important. The exams you're doing at the moment - only your core exams - really aren't that important. Obviously it'd be great to do really well and I'm sure you've done better than expected but just remember, if it doesn't go brilliantly - do not panic. It is not the end of the world. I can't stop you from feeling nervous (I gave myself the most terrific stomach ache from fear a few days ago) but I can try to help you put things into perspective.
Reply 4
why are you stressing so much, stressing wont help the marks you got or not, so whats the point, just take it easy, why you crying mate youre just in year 10, sitting one gcse is absolutely nothing, loads and loads of people will be receiving more gcses than you so calm down im sure there more worried than you just chill
Chill dude. I'm sure you done well, stress just makes you worse (mentally). Just enjoy your holiday.
Reply 6
Original post by K3lvin
why are you stressing so much, stressing wont help the marks you got or not, so whats the point, just take it easy, why you crying mate youre just in year 10, sitting one gcse is absolutely nothing, loads and loads of people will be receiving more gcses than you so calm down im sure there more worried than you just chill

I sat other exams aswell, I sat maths which I found ok, and also geography,RE and welsh and feel great about this, and the other sciences, it is just this physics exam!

Hello! :biggrin: I'm anxiously awaiting results too (but my worry is English). I did core and additional GCSE Science in year 9. I got a D in Physics and Chem but a A in my controlled assessment and a C in Bio. I got a C overall. So you have nothing to worry about. Personally, I want to do A Level English Language, A Level Art and A Level Creative Writing at College but am worried, not that I won't pass, but that I won't get the B I need for Creative Writing. But after speaking to my brother about my worries he told me that I have done as much as I can do. Also to expect to fail, that way when you don't you'll be over the moon. Just tell them how you feel, chances are that you worried over nothing.
Reply 8

Don't worry you are not going mad, it is just cause you are nervous and i had the same thing before i got my a level results last week. i would add up what i thought i got and i got different answers each time, i gave up in the end. stop trying to guess what you got and just don't worry. it will be hard for you to know what you got right for certain anyway. just try and relax for the next few days, buy/rent some movies and have a few days in just watching films, it worked for me XD. if your not a film sort of person though, perhaps get outside, away from your laptop/phone so you can't try and work out what you got, go for a walk or a bike ride or something.
Reply 9
Original post by tgwktm
Don't worry you are not going mad, it is just cause you are nervous and i had the same thing before i got my a level results last week. i would add up what i thought i got and i got different answers each time, i gave up in the end. stop trying to guess what you got and just don't worry. it will be hard for you to know what you got right for certain anyway. just try and relax for the next few days, buy/rent some movies and have a few days in just watching films, it worked for me XD. if your not a film sort of person though, perhaps get outside, away from your laptop/phone so you can't try and work out what you got, go for a walk or a bike ride or something.

I'm just a huge natural worrier!! I'm going to Vegas Thursday and I can't let these results, if they are bad get me down or spoil my holiday! I've done them a year early so it doesn't really matter, I can also resit them next June, maybe they'll motivate me to do better, if I fail!😊. I can resit maths in November anyway, but I'm confident with maths now
Original post by Lollililypop
Hello! :biggrin: I'm anxiously awaiting results too (but my worry is English). I did core and additional GCSE Science in year 9. I got a D in Physics and Chem but a A in my controlled assessment and a C in Bio. I got a C overall. So you have nothing to worry about. Personally, I want to do A Level English Language, A Level Art and A Level Creative Writing at College but am worried, not that I won't pass, but that I won't get the B I need for Creative Writing. But after speaking to my brother about my worries he told me that I have done as much as I can do. Also to expect to fail, that way when you don't you'll be over the moon. Just tell them how you feel, chances are that you worried over nothing.

So even if I had say an A and a B in Chemistry and Biology and I know I've had an A* in my CA, I can pass if I get day a D in Physics?? So I can fail one exam and still not fail the whole qualification and pass?
Reply 11
I'm just a huge natural worrier!! I'm going to Vegas Thursday and I can't let these results, if they are bad get me down or spoil my holiday! I've done them a year early so it doesn't really matter, I can also resit them next June, maybe they'll motivate me to do better, if I fail!������. I can resit maths in November anyway, but I'm confident with maths now

well it is good you have that chance to retake them. I would say that you would be more motivated to do better next time you take them, if you need to do that. doing badly can motivate you, i remember i was so scared i would fail gcse maths after my first mock came out as a D, so I put loads of effort in and ended up with an A so it is definitely possible.
So even if I had say an A and a B in Chemistry and Biology and I know I've had an A* in my CA, I can pass if I get day a D in Physics?? So I can fail one exam and still not fail the whole qualification and pass?

Of course! :biggrin: I got 50% C and 50% D in Additional or Core (One of them) and I got a C overall. In science you find that they, if it was out of 4 marks, if you get correct working but wrong answer you get 3 marks. Science is quite lenient. I have done triple science this year as I have done Core and Additional already. I think I have failed it but I could be surprised. My CA was an A and I did very well in Bio. Who knows. My tip is, even if you do not get the grade you need, it isn't the end of the world. You've still got year 11. I, if I pass the six I am collecting tomorrow, I will have 12 qualifications (including an E). Good luck! <3 Chances are you're worrying over nothing.
Thank you all for your help! Edexcel grade boundaries were released last night! They were in my favour even with 30 marks I get a B

Quick Reply

Latest