The Student Room Group

homesickness

Hello, I’m currently in my first year studying mental health nursing and I feel sick constantly. I’ve been feeling dizzy, and nauseous, I don’t feel like eating at all. I’ve been going to the toilet often and this happened before the sickness as I was on holiday. I'm currently at home and I really don't want to go back to uni. I really regret not picking a uni a bit closer to home and now I'd need to wait until 2nd year.
Original post by mylifeasci
Hello, I’m currently in my first year studying mental health nursing and I feel sick constantly. I’ve been feeling dizzy, and nauseous, I don’t feel like eating at all. I’ve been going to the toilet often and this happened before the sickness as I was on holiday. I'm currently at home and I really don't want to go back to uni. I really regret not picking a uni a bit closer to home and now I'd need to wait until 2nd year.

@mylifeasci

Do you think your ill health is due to anxiety? Have you been to the doctor?

It might be an idea to reach out to your personal tutor to see how they can help you.

It might also be an idea to access wellbeing/support services at your university.

It might be useful to think about how you can reduce your fear or stress about university. Maybe that's having a regular time when you call home. Maybe that's having more things from home in your university room. Maybe it's a timetable for studying or meals. Maybe it's taking up some exercise or trying to improve sleeping patterns. Maybe it's going home on weekends until you gradually feel comfortable to spend two, three or four weeks away from home.

Talk to your doctor (it might not be anxiety), talk to your family and talk to your university so they know the best way they can support you.

All the best!

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
Have you registered with your local GP? It would be a good idea to call 111.
<snip>I really regret not picking a uni a bit closer to home and now I'd need to wait until 2nd year.

changing courses in this manner is unlikely with Pre-registrationc courses due to difference in course structure

Hi @mylifeasci,

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing sickness. As others have asked, have you registered with a GP, getting in touch with a professional to find out what is going on may help as this seems to have been going on for a while and is impacting your daily life.

If you are worried about talking to the GP I would recommend writing a list and making note of everything you are experiencing, how long the symptoms last for etc. to give them a better idea of what you have been going through. You might also want to inform a family member or friend so they can be with you throughout the process.

Also, is there a student wellbeing service you can contact at your university? They would be able to help give practical advice you can use to evaluate your options. Universities usually offer wellbeing services and sometimes emergency appointments.

I hope this helps and good luck.

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep

Hi @mylifeasci,

I’m sorry to hear you’re experiencing a tough time at the moment. Feeling homesick is completely normal and is a common experience for many students. One thing I liked to do was make my room as homely as possible - “a home from home” sort of. You should continue to make an effort to stay in touch with your family and friends back home either through video, phone calls, or planning visits when possible. This can give you something to look forward to and, you will appreciate their loved ones and their support even more!

Another thing that helps is to create a routine in your new environment which can provide a sense of structure and stability. This allows you to manage your time effectively and keeps you focused on your time at university/work. It can be a daunting experience at first, but it’s totally worth it in the end if you’re kind and patient with yourself. Engage with activities you enjoy and remember to always talk to others if you need to:smile:

Hope this helps,
Ellie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending