The Student Room Group
University of Bedfordshire | Outside Campus Centre
University of Bedfordshire
Luton
Visit website

Why bedfordshire university?

I'm not posting this to be mean but I don't understand why students choose this university?

I know many people who have gotten into this university because they did so bad they had no other options some as low as 80 ucass points!

This university accepts anyone no matter what the teaching is said to be horrible and also you'll be paying £9000 to study at a uni people look down on.

The town it's in luton the people there also look down on beds! Most of the colleges in luton use beds as a way to motivate people for example " if you want to mess about go on you'll be going to bedfordshire university".

Students in luton often consider Hertfordshire university and completely ignore bedfordshire. It also has a horrible reputation!

So why do people choose this university? :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Why? Because I went to the open day, and I instantly felt welcomed. The students, the teachers, lecturers were all really kind, the admission team has been more than helpful and I have had no issues with them at all and they believe in giving people second chances. Yes, I am starting in September and OK, Luton is not the 'best' town but IMO, I had no problems thus far. Rather than concentrate on other peoples findings on the university, other people might disagree with and may enjoy it instead! Everyone is different! Also - it is not an 'easy' university to get into - they still require grades but like I said - they believe in giving people second chances. If it wasn't for universities like them, people will be stuck with no other career routes to go into. Again, I respect your opinion and everybody elses - but I have yet to find out about how the teaching is, but so far; I have no issues whatsoever with them.
University of Bedfordshire | Outside Campus Centre
University of Bedfordshire
Luton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Butterfly92
Why? Because I went to the open day, and I instantly felt welcomed. The students, the teachers, lecturers were all really kind, the admission team has been more than helpful and I have had no issues with them at all and they believe in giving people second chances. Yes, I am starting in September and OK, Luton is not the 'best' town but IMO, I had no problems thus far. Rather than concentrate on other peoples findings on the university, other people might disagree with and may enjoy it instead! Everyone is different! Also - it is not an 'easy' university to get into - they still require grades but like I said - they believe in giving people second chances. If it wasn't for universities like them, people will be stuck with no other career routes to go into. Again, I respect your opinion and everybody elses - but I have yet to find out about how the teaching is, but so far; I have no issues whatsoever with them.

Honestly I'm not saying it in a bad way I just want to understand reasons why people choose this university

As for accepting students they accept almost anyone I know someone who got U at an alevel and PP for btec and they got in today and another who only needed Pp from btec..

But you have made a good point about second chances but I'm more curious as if people actually chose this university to begin with as their first choice?

I mean I understand those who have to go through clearing choose it but other aren't they likely to get into better universities?

Also yes the people there are really nice they visited our college few times and were friendly

What other reason were for you to choose the uni and what grades do you need? Wouldn't Hertfordshire be a better choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Trustno1
Honestly I'm not saying it in a bad way I just want to understand reasons why people choose this university

As for accepting students they accept almost anyone I know someone who got U at an alevel and PP for btec and they got in today and another who only needed Pp from btec..

But you have made a good point about second chances but I'm more curious as if people actually chose this university to begin with as their first choice?

I mean I understand those who have to go through clearing choose it but other aren't they likely to get into better universities?

Also yes the people there are really nice they visited our college few times and were friendly

What other reason were for you to choose the uni and what grades do you need? Wouldn't Hertfordshire be a better choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't see much of it beforehand only what the uni website showed, since I was looking for clearing spaces. It did the course I wanted and I thought I would be in Bedford. It wasn't until it was too late I realised what I had got myself into.

The only positive is that if you work hard and have the attitude of, I am going to make the best of it, you really can find your place and do well. That's what I have done. Shame that most students seem not to.

Edit: not that I don't have gripes. I really do. Just look at my thread on all my issues with the place.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Dirk_Steelcock
I didn't see much of it beforehand only what the uni website showed, since I was looking for clearing spaces. It did the course I wanted and I thought I would be in Bedford. It wasn't until it was too late I realised what I had got myself into.

The only positive is that if you work hard and have the attitude of, I am going to make the best of it, you really can find your place and do well. That's what I have done. Shame that most students seem not to.

Edit: not that I don't have gripes. I really do. Just look at my thread on all my issues with the place.

Oh are you going to the uni now? Do let me know how it works out :biggrin:

I'm not trying to say all are not clever I'm more or less trying to find out why it's a first choice to some students even they are...

Don't worry if you don't like the uni you can always transfer! Best of luck hope it works out >.<

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did think about transferring but I decided that it wouldn't be worth it for me personally.

The biggest issue is student body engagement, both academically and as a uni. Lack of society's, events. Lectures with people talking or not attending, can be very disheartening. I feel bad for the students that really want to work hard.

That's why next sememster I'm part of an student academic mentor/lecturer program. And I'm starting an academic society. The only way the uni will improve is if students make it change.

I also agree that I don't understand people that first choice this uni though. Clearing I understand, but anything else is just baffling.
Reply 6
Original post by Dirk_Steelcock
I did think about transferring but I decided that it wouldn't be worth it for me personally.

The biggest issue is student body engagement, both academically and as a uni. Lack of society's, events. Lectures with people talking or not attending, can be very disheartening. I feel bad for the students that really want to work hard.

That's why next sememster I'm part of an student academic mentor/lecturer program. And I'm starting an academic society. The only way the uni will improve is if students make it change.

I also agree that I don't understand people that first choice this uni though. Clearing I understand, but anything else is just baffling.

Thankyou! Someone who understands :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by cementedweetabix
You know what I find interesting? I live in Hatfield (where Hertfordshire university is) and the students here feel EXACTLY the same way about Herts. Most locals go to Beds.

People love to complain. And trust me, if you work hard, a good degree will get you wherever you want to go.... regardless of where you got it :smile: I just got a high first from Herts and got accepted into two Russell Group universities for my masters. I chose Beds as it is local to me so I won't need to move.

Do let me know how you feel about beds when you start :smile:

Also I think you'll be the best to compare these two universities too. Since they both are quite near each other I always hear herts is a much better option :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do let me know how you feel about beds when you start :smile:

Also I think you'll be the best to compare these two universities too. Since they both are quite near each other I always hear herts is a much better option :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hertfordshire is definitely a much better uni, who said that it has a bad rep? thats thier opinion.

Herts is ranked much higher than that beds so in that respect its good, and the quality of teaching there is better.

Although Beds is local to me, for better prospects I decided to go with Herts to do Law. it only takes an hr to commute to there.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by DarkChaoz95
Hertfordshire is definitely a much better uni, who said that it has a bad rep? thats thier opinion.

Herts is ranked much higher than that beds so in that respect its good, and the quality of teaching there is better.

Although Beds is local to me, for better prospects I decided to go with Herts to do Law. it only takes an hr to commute to there.

So true I wouldn't mind going herts but if I had to go beds I wouldn't go university at all since I'll be paying £9000 per year

Posted from TSR Mobile
So true I wouldn't mind going herts but if I had to go beds I wouldn't go university at all since I'll be paying £9000 per year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah its all about value of money and the quality of education you want. Imo bedfordshire really needs to step up its game. How can they charge 9k like that -_-

im going to herts to do law, got accepted through adjustment. My original offer was beds cuz i thought ibwouldnt do well.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by DarkChaoz95
Yeah its all about value of money and the quality of education you want. Imo bedfordshire really needs to step up its game. How can they charge 9k like that -_-

im going to herts to do law, got accepted through adjustment. My original offer was beds cuz i thought ibwouldnt do well.

You didn't even need that uni for a choice they are always on clearing all you need is two EE or equivalent to get into their law program through clearing.

I know how can they charge 9K and people actually pay other uni like brookes and heart I think charge less ten 9K!

Posted from TSR Mobile
You didn't even need that uni for a choice they are always on clearing all you need is two EE or equivalent to get into their law program through clearing.

I know how can they charge 9K and people actually pay other uni like brookes and heart I think charge less ten 9K!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thought Law courses in popular/top unis would run out quickly anyway, For unis like herts or a bit higher I can understand there will be alot of open places.

Herts charge 9k, I understand that because its a decent uni. Im relieved Im not going to beds now. Although I dont "hate" the uni, if they dedicate themselves to improve the uni then they would be somewhat decent.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
Just to be clear, it's not just UoB who happens to let students get in with as little as 80 UCAS points. Whilst I agree it shouldn't happen, you need to look at it from a different angle. I graduated with a 1st class hons this past summer and I can only say good things about the support and intellectual gain I got from this University. The people are great, the degree content is brilliant and the experience is second to none. I've gained so many opportunities just by being on top of everything and mastering time management.

So, please don't be so negative towards one University over a few instances, I'm hoping interviews are compulsory for all courses.

If you have any questions for someone who as been through the system at this student and about to embark on an MA here then please feel free to ask.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I study here at Bedfordshire because I wanted to study psychology and criminal behaviour and the only other university in the South East that offered that course was Southampton Solent which had shockingly bad facilities and is quite far from London which I wanted to be close to. I had 340 UCAS points when they only wanted about 200 so I got the academic scholarship which meant I got about £900 to spend in the bookshop. Luton is a terribly depressing town but it is close to London which is never a bad thing and it has great transport links while still being an affordable town for students with really cheap nights out etc.

I would also agree with the earlier reply that I felt very welcomed at the open day in comparison to Portsmouth for instance which was originally my first choice. Although the course at Portsmouth was slightly different (forensic psychology) I could have been swayed to go there because I would have felt like I'd achieved something having got in etc. as they were higher on the league tables and wanted more from me. Unfortunately I found that several members of staff were horribly rude, unwelcoming, lacked social skills and just weren't any good to talk to. I still remember a particular conversation I had with this one woman I felt like strangling because I was asking her the difference between Forensic Psychology and Psychology and Criminal Behaviour courses and she said that the latter (which wasn't offered by them) wouldn't be BPS accredited. I told her that it definitely was (which it is) and she just started going on and on about the importance of BPS accreditation like I was some sort of idiot and wouldn't let me get a word in edgeways and my stepdad was hinting that we needed to leave because we had a long journey home and even my mum said "yes we know about that, we just told you" but she just wouldn't stop! I came away thinking that if those are the sort of people they showcase on an open day, what are the rest like?

I've found the teaching at Bedfordshire to be good. Some of our lecturers have done some really interesting research. Last year we had a really good lecture delivered by a guest lecturer who wrote one of our core textbooks so he did a book signing for us afterwards as well which was nice.

I don't know what other courses are like but I'm going into 3rd year of mine now and I like it.
UNI doesn't matter I have gotten offers from OXFORD BROOKES on Computer Science for Cyber Security (II10) plus 3 others but I am not going to uni cuz bedfordshire is only 1.5miles away from my home plus it's cheap and reliable with pinnacle level of offering in Cyber Secturity. Moreover, Bedfordshire earns place in World University rankings, in Computer Depertment. Furthermore, it has over 80% of employment after 2 year of achiving the Degree.
I'm not posting this to be mean but I don't understand why students choose this university?

I know many people who have gotten into this university because they did so bad they had no other options some as low as 80 ucass points!

This university accepts anyone no matter what the teaching is said to be horrible and also you'll be paying £9000 to study at a uni people look down on.

The town it's in luton the people there also look down on beds! Most of the colleges in luton use beds as a way to motivate people for example " if you want to mess about go on you'll be going to bedfordshire university".

Students in luton often consider Hertfordshire university and completely ignore bedfordshire. It also has a horrible reputation!

So why do people choose this university? :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

I personally thought the same because of the people around me. I was originally going to Beds but i was pressured into going to Herts. So i did. And I didn't really like it. I felt left out. The lectures didn't seem as accessible.

Then the next year, I moved to the Uni of Beds and I felt super welcomed. It was so warming and the place is modern too. Everyone was smiling and helping you no matter what your situation.

I am currently going to go into my third year and i've been enjoying my time for the past 2 years whether it was online or on-campus! :biggrin:

Plus, I am a student ambassador, so I am also trying to show people how actually good it is, rather than just following the herd you know :') because I feel like people are afraid to go to Beds because others will look down on you but who cares, you're going for your own good so..

Anyways, I could say more but it would become too long haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending