Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

What are Barnes Halls like to live in?

I gather Lindsay is the best; but it looks like I've got Barnes
Reply 1
Original post by GeorgiabcBrown
I gather Lindsay is the best; but it looks like I've got Barnes

I have been placed there dont know anything on the halls but apparently it's nice, what block are you?
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Reply 2
I am going to be in Barnes too; wanted to know what it is like etc? Block T!
I got barnes too, im in block S. Barnes is nice from what i saw, i do think lindsay is the best but i also think it depends on the type of accomodation. What block is everyone else in? Ive not found anyone near mine :/
Reply 4
Original post by Tanya_2111
I got barnes too, im in block S. Barnes is nice from what i saw, i do think lindsay is the best but i also think it depends on the type of accomodation. What block is everyone else in? Ive not found anyone near mine :/

block Q idk if thats close
Reply 5
I lived in Barnes (S Block) last year and it does depend on which of the blocks you're in. A-F are the taller blocks of individual rooms (with sinks), G-L are the taller blocks with shared flats, N-V are two storey blocks with shared flats and X/W are shared flats with en-suite rooms.

I've been in rooms of each type of block except for X/W. A-F are decent sized rooms, obviously having your own sink is a plus although the kitchens can be a nightmare because you do share with a large amount of people. In the shared flat blocks the kitchen situation is a lot nicer as you're only sharing with 3 other people so you have heaps of cupboard and fridge space.

I honestly had a great time living in Barnes last year but that may be done to living with friends who I'd known for 2 years previously as I lived in Barnes for my final year. Saying that if you do get on more with people you meet outside your living situation then all the other halls are only a few minutes walk away with the exception of Hawthorns which will take just a tad longer to walk to. Anymore questions about the amenities in Barnes or the accommodation itself then I'll do my best to help!
what colour are the rooms in Barnes? On the facebook page it looks like they're bright yellow! also, are the shared flat block's bedrooms a decent size?
Reply 7
Original post by Pandoradaisy1234
what colour are the rooms in Barnes? On the facebook page it looks like they're bright yellow! also, are the shared flat block's bedrooms a decent size?

Yes they're all yellow painted cinderblocks, not the nicest but I guess they have to be neutral! There is a poster fair in the sports hall for at least 2 days in freshers week, an easy way to liven up your room a bit haha. As for the room sizes, at first I was happy with the size but underwhelmed with the storage space but once you start packing stuff you realise there's actually more than you first thought. I guess it depends on how much you bring with you though!
Original post by matt0902
I lived in Barnes (S Block) last year and it does depend on which of the blocks you're in. A-F are the taller blocks of individual rooms (with sinks), G-L are the taller blocks with shared flats, N-V are two storey blocks with shared flats and X/W are shared flats with en-suite rooms.

I've been in rooms of each type of block except for X/W. A-F are decent sized rooms, obviously having your own sink is a plus although the kitchens can be a nightmare because you do share with a large amount of people. In the shared flat blocks the kitchen situation is a lot nicer as you're only sharing with 3 other people so you have heaps of cupboard and fridge space.

I honestly had a great time living in Barnes last year but that may be done to living with friends who I'd known for 2 years previously as I lived in Barnes for my final year. Saying that if you do get on more with people you meet outside your living situation then all the other halls are only a few minutes walk away with the exception of Hawthorns which will take just a tad longer to walk to. Anymore questions about the amenities in Barnes or the accommodation itself then I'll do my best to help!

Thanks for that reply, it helped put my mind at ease. So the shared flats dont come with a sink in the room, right? Also whats the storage space like in the rooms? Some people have said to not take a suitcase and just use storage boxes, but i thought a suitcase would be best, what do you think?
Reply 9
Original post by Tanya_2111
Thanks for that reply, it helped put my mind at ease. So the shared flats dont come with a sink in the room, right? Also whats the storage space like in the rooms? Some people have said to not take a suitcase and just use storage boxes, but i thought a suitcase would be best, what do you think?

You're welcome :smile:. Nah there's no sinks in the rooms. As for storage it probably won't differ much from what I had which was a wardrobe with two rails and then cubbyholes at the bottom, 4 large draws in the desk and a 3 tier bookshelf above the desk. Then there's space under the bed and on top of the wardrobe. Boxes are easier for the most part, although I did take one suitcase I just dumped everything out of it then gave it back to my dad to take home. I used a lot of holdall bags as well because you can get a lot in them and can be squashed and put under the bed when they're empty.

Quick Reply

Latest