The Student Room Group

South Western Railway in London

Can I use my oyster card if I'm travelling to Barnes from Waterloo? If yes, does this cost more than the usual fare for the tube? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm not used to travelling by train.
Reply 1
Original post by imsorryjen
Can I use my oyster card if I'm travelling to Barnes from Waterloo? If yes, does this cost more than the usual fare for the tube? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm not used to travelling by train.

My assumption is ur going university of roehampton.

Oyster card will make it cheaper than buying a train ticket.

If ur going uni you can get a student oyster card. IDK how it exactly works but yh you can get one and gives 30% discount.

I believe from Waterloo to Barnes it will be 2.80 with student oyster card at max. Because peak hours it will be more expensive.
Reply 2

Not a stupid question at all!

To answer the question accurately, more details are needed.

Do you have a valid railcard?

What time are you intending to make the journey?

Are you planning on travelling whilst in the city centre?

This will help me to figure out what the best value option is for you :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by DMCG1801
Not a stupid question at all!

To answer the question accurately, more details are needed.

Do you have a valid railcard?

What time are you intending to make the journey?

Are you planning on travelling whilst in the city centre?

This will help me to figure out what the best value option is for you :smile:

No railcard at the moment, leaving and returning during mornings and evenings, and I'm only planning on using it to get to and from uni. Thanks!
Reply 4
No railcard at the moment, leaving and returning during mornings and evenings, and I'm only planning on using it to get to and from uni. Thanks!

No worries. In this case, your best option is to get yourself a student oyster card which will offer you cheaper journeys than your contactless card or any zonal ticket.

You can apply for this here:

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/free-and-discounted-travel/18-plus-student-oyster-photocard

This should be your cheapest option :smile:
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest