The Student Room Group

2nd Yr accommodation options

Hi, what are my best options for accommodation in the 2nd Yr if I haven't yet found a group to move in with?
Also latest by which month I should have secured a place to live, for Sep start? It's December already and some of my flatmates have signed contracts for next Yr. Should I start to panic and fix on something and compromise or do I have atleast till Feb to completly convince myself of the location and the roommates?
Thanks
Original post by Do_it_now
Hi, what are my best options for accommodation in the 2nd Yr if I haven't yet found a group to move in with?
Also latest by which month I should have secured a place to live, for Sep start? It's December already and some of my flatmates have signed contracts for next Yr. Should I start to panic and fix on something and compromise or do I have atleast till Feb to completly convince myself of the location and the roommates?
Thanks

Hi @Do_it_now

Don't panic! There's still plenty of time to decide what you'd like to do. Are you in halls at the moment?

I just started second year and I chose to stay in halls again this year. I rebooked new halls with friends I had made in first year so that we could all live together, so we were able to allocate rooms altogether. I also had friends who rebooked halls alone, so they ended up with new flat mates in September - so that could be an option if you're happy to get new flat mates in September?

There are also usually students needing a final house mate in private housing/flats, which might be something you could consider, again if you're happy to live with new people next year.

I wouldn't panic about timeframe, but I would definitely start considering your options now. I had my accommodation secured by January last year ready to move in in September, but I also know other students who hadn't secured accommodation by April or even till the summer. But from experience, the earlier the better, then you have more to choose from.

If you're unsure about living with your current flat mates again, take some time to think whether you'd like to spend another year with them, or if you'd like to see who else is out there. I personally like the idea of staying in halls again this year as it's so close to my campus and I have everything I need nearby. There really isn't a right or wrong answer, it all depends where you'd feel most comfortable.

I hope you get sorted!
Emily 🙂
Student Rep at BCU
Reply 2
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @Do_it_now

Don't panic! There's still plenty of time to decide what you'd like to do. Are you in halls at the moment?

I just started second year and I chose to stay in halls again this year. I rebooked new halls with friends I had made in first year so that we could all live together, so we were able to allocate rooms altogether. I also had friends who rebooked halls alone, so they ended up with new flat mates in September - so that could be an option if you're happy to get new flat mates in September?

There are also usually students needing a final house mate in private housing/flats, which might be something you could consider, again if you're happy to live with new people next year.

I wouldn't panic about timeframe, but I would definitely start considering your options now. I had my accommodation secured by January last year ready to move in in September, but I also know other students who hadn't secured accommodation by April or even till the summer. But from experience, the earlier the better, then you have more to choose from.

If you're unsure about living with your current flat mates again, take some time to think whether you'd like to spend another year with them, or if you'd like to see who else is out there. I personally like the idea of staying in halls again this year as it's so close to my campus and I have everything I need nearby. There really isn't a right or wrong answer, it all depends where you'd feel most comfortable.

I hope you get sorted!
Emily 🙂
Student Rep at BCU

Hi Emily,
Thanks for your reply. I'm at the campus accommodation arranged by the uni for all 1st Yr students. So there's a whole lot of students looking around as we need to vacate the halls for the next set of freshers. That's the pressure. I like the suggestion that in the new year there may be a few groups in private housing looking for housemates to make up the numbers.

I'm inclined towards house share solely based on the rent as the halls are 50% more expensive.

Thanks for the advise, I'm not as tensed as earlier at missing the Dec deadline.

Xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending