The Student Room Group

A/A* students ! revision tips needed ! HELP ME PLEASE !!!

So guys basically I got alright grades I'm my AS exams but I need to retake two of my unit one exams (easier ones) to push my grades up .

So the dilemma is I really need to get A's this year in order to get into my preferred uni next year so I need some an advice on how I can achieve this. e.g. study routine , limiting social interactions and just generally anything that can help me stay focused throughout next year so I can achieve my grades . Any suggestions greatly appreciated
Reply 1
This will sound pretty nerdy, but i found getting most of my homework done during lunch breaks, recesses etc, is extremely useful. It frees up afternoon and evenings to do extra work/reading. Also, if you do your homework pretty soon after you've had the lesson, it means everything is still fresh and if you're stuck, asking a teacher for help is much easier. One of the most important things i can suggest is ask for help. Talk to teachers, go to subject clubs/drop ins if your school has them, just make sure you consolidate your knowledge - after all, teachers get paid to teach and helping you should be their priority
Original post by sophiaaax
This will sound pretty nerdy, but i found getting most of my homework done during lunch breaks, recesses etc, is extremely useful. It frees up afternoon and evenings to do extra work/reading. Also, if you do your homework pretty soon after you've had the lesson, it means everything is still fresh and if you're stuck, asking a teacher for help is much easier. One of the most important things i can suggest is ask for help. Talk to teachers, go to subject clubs/drop ins if your school has them, just make sure you consolidate your knowledge - after all, teachers get paid to teach and helping you should be their priority

Thanks so much for the reply ! Would you recommend me starting revising from the beginning of the year and can you suggest a study regime I can follow to get A's ?
Reply 3
Original post by TheLegalDealer
Thanks so much for the reply ! Would you recommend me starting revising from the beginning of the year and can you suggest a study regime I can follow to get A's ?

DEFINITELY start at the beginning of the year. I left it all to the end, and thankfully my cramming paid off, but its not worth all the stress.
The only thing i'd suggest is reading. Do loads of it. Read textbooks, your notes, anything, just make sure you consolidate your work - that is the most important thing. Exams are becoming more about applying knowledge, rather than just reciting it, so you need to have a full and complete grasp of your subjects
DEFINITELY start at the beginning of the year. I left it all to the end, and thankfully my cramming paid off, but its not worth all the stress.
The only thing i'd suggest is reading. Do loads of it. Read textbooks, your notes, anything, just make sure you consolidate your work - that is the most important thing. Exams are becoming more about applying knowledge, rather than just reciting it, so you need to have a full and complete grasp of your subjects

How many hours do you think I should spend daily on studying?
Reply 5
Lock yourself away NO LATER THAN APRIL, when I say lock yourself away I mean literally put everything into your revision.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
How many hours do you think I should spend daily on studying?

I didnt really look at it like that. If we'd just finished a topic in a subject, i'd spend some time in the evening when i'd done all my work just reading over all my notes and then reading the relevant pages of the textbook. And then, if you;re confused over something, dont just avoid it like i did! Go and see your teachers asap.
I find it better to work in topics like that rather than time, but do whatever you prefer
I didnt really look at it like that. If we'd just finished a topic in a subject, i'd spend some time in the evening when i'd done all my work just reading over all my notes and then reading the relevant pages of the textbook. And then, if you;re confused over something, dont just avoid it like i did! Go and see your teachers asap.
I find it better to work in topics like that rather than time, but do whatever you prefer

Yhh , I think I'd do it your way because I'm so bad at following timetables , did you mostly study with classmates or more independently?
Reply 8
Yhh , I think I'd do it your way because I'm so bad at following timetables , did you mostly study with classmates or more independently?

Independently, but talking through key concepts with a couple (no more than 2/3 i'd say) of people can be so helpful, especially before any tests in class. Being able to use the correct terminology is so important and talking it out with friends really helps with that
Reply 9
Original post by sjrahman
Lock yourself away NO LATER THAN APRIL, when I say lock yourself away I mean literally put everything into your revision.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah this is so true, easter is such a crucial time to get started with revision

Quick Reply

Latest