The Student Room Group

Which University takes your breathe away for the pretty buildings?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Okorange
Thanks for the information! So then, if you go to MSU does that really increase your job prospects? Do some elite firms prefer MSU students over other university students?

Yes, it increases your job prospects a lot. At least in Russia, firms would give a closer consideration to those who have MSU in their CV that other graduates. And even internationally, MSU is one of the few, sometimes the only one Russian university which is recognized as reputable. At least that is what I can say from my experience.
However, job experience you have and a particular set of skills company is looking for are more valuable. In Russia, they would still chose somebody with a solid experience in the field over a fresh MSU graduate.

Nottingham University looks amazing.
Original post by Mansun
People often rate Oxbridge as having the prettiest buildings, followed by Durham perhaps. I thought Nottingham fared well on this front. But Edinburgh looks amazing, and on a big scale. I can't believe it doesn't get spoken about more, it easily matches Oxbridge for beauty.

The old part of Aberdeen Uni is nice. Some buildings at Newcastle are also nice as well. Durham had some lovely buildings.
Reply 204

East Anglia? Hmm, perhaps they were on acid when deciding.

I strongly disagree with their selection haha.
Original post by C-Rooney
East Anglia? Hmm, perhaps they were on acid when deciding.

I strongly disagree with their selection haha.

I think most people realise that buildings go through a cycle of unpopularity when the architectural style in which they were built goes out of fashion. It is currently the turn of post-war modernism.

Remember there were serious plans to demolish Whitehall and St Pancras Station
Reply 206
Original post by Mansun
Any pictures? Exeter is kind of renowned for being pretty for the landscape.

Exeter
Reply 207
Original post by nulli tertius
I think most people realise that buildings go through a cycle of unpopularity when the architectural style in which they were built goes out of fashion. It is currently the turn of post-war modernism.

Remember there were serious plans to demolish Whitehall and St Pancras Station

Really? I never actually knew that to be fair lol.
I think the Devonshire dome (University of Derby) is breathtaking

it's a pleasing mash-up of Georgian collided with something out of H G Wells

dome1.jpg dome0.jpg
dome3.jpg dome2.jpg
In my very arrogant and biased opinion, Edge Hill University, especially some of the more modern buildings

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending