The Student Room Group

Last min regrets about university

Hi

I’m meant to be moving to uni in exactly a week. I’ve never lived away from home, and my
uni city is 3 hours away.

For the longest time i’ve been adamant that I wanted to go to uni for the experience, but now that its here I’m no longer excited or even happy.

I’ve spent the last few weeks crying constantly about having to move away, I know it would be good for me to go but i’m just so upset. The shame/embarrassment of deciding not to go last min would be awful since everyone that knows me knows i’m moving away for uni.

I wish I could just be normal and enjoy uni like everyone else.

I do really want a degree and if I could go back in time and apply to a local uni I would. But I think it’s too late for that now.

Any advice? I feel awful
Reply 1
best just boss it up bro
worst comes to worst you have a 3 hour commute on the weekend
other than that you never know until you go
who knows you might change your mind about it
Whether your at uni 30 mins from home or 3 hours from home….. you are still away from home. All that changes is the amount of time to get there / back.

I say this as you might not be happy at a nearby uni either.

You need to understand why, in your case, that is. I can understand you are anxious about what the future holds, meeting new people, being away from home, wondering how you’ll cope etc and each have different solutions.

So, what’s concerning you about living away / going to uni?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi

I’m meant to be moving to uni in exactly a week. I’ve never lived away from home, and my

For the longest time i’ve been adamant that I wanted to go to uni for the experience, but now that its here I’m no longer excited or even happy.

I’ve spent the last few weeks crying constantly about having to move away, I know it would be good for me to go but i’m just so upset. The shame/embarrassment of deciding not to go last min would be awful since everyone that knows me knows i’m moving away for uni.

I do really want a degree and if I could go back in time and apply to a local uni I would. But I think it’s too late for that now.

Any advice? I feel awful

Pause. Breathe. Let the situation come to you. Every other first year is basically going through the same situation.
Anon,

Without change, it's easy to think that life is better but sometimes you can miss opportunities to grow as a person.

University is a big step! It is difficult to move out of your comfort zone, especially when you know that if you want to seek refuge away from all the new scary stuff it's a three hour commute : ( but moving out your comfort zone will grow your confidence and character : )!

Change is necessary if you want to achieve all that you want in life. It does get easier, still a bit scary but it gets easier.

This will be a big change, but all being well, in a few weeks' time when you have adjusted to living away from home and you're beginning to feel more settled, things will seem a lot different to the way things feel now.

A three hour commute does not meet you can't go home! It's likely that you will have reading week in October, which is basically a week off to study/catch-up /rest. Your timetable might also mean that you get long weekends e.g. Fridays or Mondays off, which means the commute won't steal too much of your time.

You are perfectly normal. It's not wrong to love home, being around people who know you and care about you, but sometimes you need to meet new people, be in new surroundings and have more opportunities so that you can become all that you want to be.

Don't be afraid! (There is a reason why you chose to go to university and to study your chosen subject.)

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Original post by Anonymous
Hi

Any advice? I feel awful

Hi there

Sorry to hear that you are stressed about moving to University. It is totally normal to feel upset to move away from home. I understand that it is a large change, going to a new environment and meeting new friends can be really challenging.

I was in the same place as you two years ago. As someone who is introverted and has a really close family I was also upset to move away for University.

However, I can say that University is a really good experience and a large step forwards. I have been able to meet a lot of new people and gain confidence and independence throughout the past years. (Something which I do not think would have happened if I did not move to University).

You can definitely learn a lot by going to University, and I think the decision you made to push yourself outside your comfort zone is really brave. :smile:

There are many other people in your position who will be leaving home for the first time. I am sure you will meet new friends that will be there to support you. :biggrin: Just take your time to adjust to University life and things will work out fine. :smile:

Don't stress and take your time to settle in to University. :smile:

All the best with University!

Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending