The Student Room Group

Got C E E U in As exams, please help!!!

I got the above results in biology, chemistry,physics and math respectively. I plan to resit them cause I know i could do better and could probably get As, I was just overconfident and lacked motivation to read. Well I've learnt my lesson :frown:

I plan to resit them all as i do my year 13 exams(A2) it'll be a lot to handle and i don't know where to start. Advice and tips would be really appreciated, maybe some success stories from anyone who got almost similar grades.

I want to do Bio medical engineering in university but i want to drop chemistry in year 13 and might not resit it got an E in my As exam. Do you think this would affect me later on in relation to the course i wish to pursue?
Please help! :frown:
Original post by darkest_giza
I got the above results in biology, chemistry,physics and math respectively. I plan to resit them cause I know i could do better and could probably get As, I was just overconfident and lacked motivation to read. Well I've learnt my lesson :frown:

I plan to resit them all as i do my year 13 exams(A2) it'll be a lot to handle and i don't know where to start. Advice and tips would be really appreciated, maybe some success stories from anyone who got almost similar grades.

I want to do Bio medical engineering in university but i want to drop chemistry in year 13 and might not resit it got an E in my As exam. Do you think this would affect me later on in relation to the course i wish to pursue?

You've just posted the same thing like 5 minutes ago...
Reply 2
Original post by Incubator
You've just posted the same thing like 5 minutes ago...

Sorry, this is my first time on the student room. Haven't got the hang of it.

i did those exact same subjects at AS and got DEEE. i resat my AS but my results were no better so i went and did a btec level 3 in applied science. im now going to do an engineering foundation year. if you know in your heart you worked at 60%-100% to your full potential dont bother resitting the year. you can still get into biomedicine/engineering through a btec.if you didnt really pay attention in class and you know you could have worked harder then resit.

the problem with the btec is it limits the unis you can apply for. im going to the university of bradford which isnt that high up on the league tables. personally that doesnt matter, its a wonderful community and they even phoned me up twice before ive even enrolled to ask me if i had any questions. the actual lecturer/professor of my course also rang me up! i thought that was really caring and unique. its not a russel group university but experience and the actual degree is more important than the uni you went to.
Original post by pinejuice
i did those exact same subjects at AS and got DEEE. i resat my AS but my results were no better so i went and did a btec level 3 in applied science. im now going to do an engineering foundation year. if you know in your heart you worked at 60%-100% to your full potential dont bother resitting the year. you can still get into biomedicine/engineering through a btec.if you didnt really pay attention in class and you know you could have worked harder then resit.

the problem with the btec is it limits the unis you can apply for. im going to the university of bradford which isnt that high up on the league tables. personally that doesnt matter, its a wonderful community and they even phoned me up twice before ive even enrolled to ask me if i had any questions. the actual lecturer/professor of my course also rang me up! i thought that was really caring and unique. its not a russel group university but experience and the actual degree is more important than the uni you went to.

I completely and utterly disagree with the last comment. Especially with the desire to work within the science domain it is highly beneficial to be at a Russel group university due to its prestige and the experience here is completely different. Russel group universities are centered around research, research they must produce every single year and if science is your forte - this is where you want to be. Your lecturers are not just teachers, they're researchers - they actively design, carry out and write up hundreds of research articles every year thus the contacts you make and the opportunities you have to partake in completing this research is what sets you apart from other university graduates with the same degree.

If it means taking a year out, do it. £9000 a year is an expensive fee which you don't want to regret 3/4 years down the line when a Russel group graduate gets a job over yourself. Yes you may still get into a university with your current grades, but you must remember universities are businesses - they want you to go there because you're going to pay their wages. You must think ahead to when there will an opportunity when you want to be paid, you're first graduate job. The university you received your degree from could be the factor which makes you more desirable than the other candidates.
Original post by manchestergal
I completely and utterly disagree with the last comment. Especially with the desire to work within the science domain it is highly beneficial to be at a Russel group university due to its prestige and the experience here is completely different. Russel group universities are centered around research, research they must produce every single year and if science is your forte - this is where you want to be. Your lecturers are not just teachers, they're researchers - they actively design, carry out and write up hundreds of research articles every year thus the contacts you make and the opportunities you have to partake in completing this research is what sets you apart from other university graduates with the same degree.

If it means taking a year out, do it. £9000 a year is an expensive fee which you don't want to regret 3/4 years down the line when a Russel group graduate gets a job over yourself. Yes you may still get into a university with your current grades, but you must remember universities are businesses - they want you to go there because you're going to pay their wages. You must think ahead to when there will an opportunity when you want to be paid, you're first graduate job. The university you received your degree from could be the factor which makes you more desirable than the other candidates.

Completely agree. But it doesn't mean that all people who graduate from a Russel Group are unemployed. Some employers prefer more practical employees, and if you actually look into stats, Russel Groups don't actually provide students with enough practicality.

:smile:
Reply 6

As an individual who participated at Newcastle University Bitesize Uni, I've been told differently. Newcastle University is a Russell group university and during my stay there, we attended a lecture which had employers from different businesses and companies (BBC, Disney, etc.) The first thing the employers told us, was that, Yes Russel Group Universities are more prestigious due to its research, along with its different uni experience, but this doesn't mean that just because graduates came from a Russel Group University; it'll have gained them an 'advantage' over other graduates with the same course, when applying for a job. Afterwards, they revealed their 'top' priority...and it was "Work Experience and Determination", which you could get from all Universities, even non-Russell Group and the 'least' priority was the 'University you go to'.

For example:
A 'Dentist' graduated from Manchester Uni (Russell Group) was applying for a job at NHS, and is up against a 'Dentist' graduate from Plymouth Uni (Non-Russell Group). The person who graduated from Manchester Uni got a 2:1, whilst the person who graduated from Plymouth Uni achieved a first honour. But the person from Plymouth Uni also have 'more' work experience and placements than the person from Manchester Uni. Therefore employers would prefer the graduate from Plymouth Uni as he/she would have better understanding of work life, due to having more work experience and is probably more suitable and will become more successful than the other person from a Russell Group Uni.:smile:

(Apparently though, if you came from Oxbridge, that may have a slight advantage on others obviously...but only if the person achieved a 2:1 or 1st, as it would look bad on employers if the person got in the uni and struggled) -> I've just been told this, so i'm not sure :confused:
Original post by pinejuice

I'm studying the same course at Bradford this September! (Y)
Original post by MrLovermanShaba
I'm studying the same course at Bradford this September! (Y)

that's great! :smile: what do you want to progress onto? i want to do chemical engineering if all goes well so fingers crossed. i think enrolement is on the 19th. i cant wait to start uni!
Yes same here! I'm hoping to chemical engineering if foundation year goes smoothly fingers crossed.
I know same here... really excited:biggrin:
Where you staying?

I had a similar experience and ended up doing physics at Durham. Wrote about it http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2055250
Original post by TunaTunnel
I had a similar experience and ended up doing physics at Durham. Wrote about it http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2055250

I'm actually sort of in the same boat at the moment.

I've just had my AS grades and ended up with B C D in Business studies, Maths, and Physics respectively.

I hope to resit 2 modules from Maths and a module from Physics and hopefully come out with A B B or A B C.

I will be applying for an Engineering foundation year this year at the University of Manchester and the University of Birmingham.

Could you please give me some tips on Physics? I AM SO LOST? :frown:

I have no Idea what is going on sometimes, and I really need Physics to get where I want to be in the future.

Thank you

you are completely correct, i should have thought more carefully about addressing russel group unis! for someone like me who just wants a job personally i dont think it matters which you go to. but definitely if you want to continue your academics or pursue a more competitive job then a russel uni will help

Agree to an extent, but I think you're wrong in that a Russell Group uni isn't your only option - you should focus on selecting a research-intensive university, particularly if you want to work in a science related profession. Of course all Russel Group institutions are research intensive, but there are universities that have the same research standards but just aren't in the group - St Andrews, Bath, Surrey, Royal Holloway and Lancaster to name just a few.

Quick Reply

Latest