The Student Room Group

did anyone take english lit or lang at a level?

if u did, did you find it interesting, boring etc
Loved it
Reply 2
Original post by brownbearxo
Loved it
both?
Hi! I did English Language AS and I found it pretty interesting tbh. I kinda miss it now haha :P But truthfully while I was studying it it was quite a task getting myself to write 600-900 word essays and commentaries. If you are planning on taking Language I'd say good luck! Be sure to read widely, explore different genres and practice as much as possible because that's the only way to improve! :smile:
English lit
I did English language and found it boring, haha. I just missed the literature side but hadn't wanted to do literature alone. Everyone I know who did it loved it though :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by sharvarivadeyar
Hi! I did English Language AS and I found it pretty interesting tbh. I kinda miss it now haha :P But truthfully while I was studying it it was quite a task getting myself to write 600-900 word essays and commentaries. If you are planning on taking Language I'd say good luck! Be sure to read widely, explore different genres and practice as much as possible because that's the only way to improve! :smile:
for my a levels i chose lit media sociology and business for law i am definately changing media to history but i am not sure if i should change sociology to english language
Reply 7
English Lit. - if you enjoy writing essays/enjoy poetry/enjoy reading. it's probably for you.

the coursework is a bit of a bitch but certainly manageable.
I did English Language and loved it. I was on the AQA syllabus and 50% of AS was exam and 50% was coursework and this ratio was also the same for A2. Both examinations at AS and A2 for ours was written so if you like writing essays based on sources given to you in the exam without reading a ton of books (relatively, compared to Lit) then it is the way to go. If you like reading various different literature from multiple authors and comparing and contrasting and remembering lines etc then go for Literature too. If you're more creative, then English Language is also for you as you'll have to produce work of your own with the help of a teacher etc.

Quick Reply

Latest