The Student Room Group

how do I get a higher grade in English combined at a-level?

In my last mocks, I have been getting C's and D's and for the unis I want to get into next year, I need at least a B. How do I answer the questions to gain a B?
Hi, I sat my English lang/lit combined a level last year and got an A*, I'd be happy to help and give some advice :h:
Looking back at feedback provided by your teachers, are you able to see a pattern of where you are losing marks? The way you move forward and improve depends on where you are losing marks, so you can focus specifically on those assessment objectives.
just did a level combined. check out excel at english on youtube. paris anthology videos on there, we did duffy and handmaids tale so theres a few vids on those too. use the textbook, revise after every lesson, take time to build knowledge on context for each text, learn advanced terminology and use it. and brainwash and bullshirt in essays ALWAYS
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by MusicalMe101
Hi, I sat my English lang/lit combined a level last year and got an A*, I'd be happy to help and give some advice :h:
Looking back at feedback provided by your teachers, are you able to see a pattern of where you are losing marks? The way you move forward and improve depends on where you are losing marks, so you can focus specifically on those assessment objectives.

is the course/exam an even 50/50 split between both lang and lit?
Original post by 74darina
is the course/exam an even 50/50 split between both lang and lit?

in my experience, yes, in a way. its not like in gcse when you would have a specific book for each english. at my college we did poems, an anthology with a variety of texts, a play and two novels.you would write about these texts not just with thorough analysis of possible meanings within the narrative like in lit, but with a deep knowledge of language terms to help back up or even create your point. it is sort of meshed together, just unconventionally.
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest