The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2160
Original post by Ashnard
And that's all she wrote: Federer wins (4-6,3-6,6-4,7-5,6-2)! I must say, after watching Federer lose so many matches throughout the years having been match points up, it was very satisfying today to witness the shoe on the other foot with him winning after being match points down. Next up for him is the second match on Saturday against Cilic, whom he has a 5-0 H2H record against.

Cilic also had a 0-5 H2H record with Gilles Simon, who he beat in the fourth round. I know Simon isn't quite in the same league as Fed, but Cilic has been playing extremely well (notably against Berdych, yesterday) lately. I'm a bit worried for Federer, but I think he'll take it...

And you're right, it is refreshing to see Federer back on form! If he wins the title, I'll most likely wet myself with happiness. I ain't even mad.
Williams vs Wozniacki for the US Open title on Sunday it is! Should be a great final whoever wins I'll be happy for, both women deserve to win, hopefully it'll be a nice end to the grand slam season for the WTA
Original post by RyJ
Cilic also had a 0-5 H2H record with Gilles Simon, who he beat in the fourth round. I know Simon isn't quite in the same league as Fed, but Cilic has been playing extremely well (notably against Berdych, yesterday) lately. I'm a bit worried for Federer, but I think he'll take it...

And you're right, it is refreshing to see Federer back on form! If he wins the title, I'll most likely wet myself with happiness. I ain't even mad.

I'm not too worried about Cilic to be honest. He is playing well but he doesn't have the retrieving skills to force the errors out of Federer in the way that Monfils did. Federer's also been returning serve quite well this tournament so I think he'll be able to handle the big Cilic serve without too many problems.

Usually when the top players like Djokovic or Federer narrowly avoid a loss in the big tournaments they go on to steamroll the opposition until the final (e.g. Djokoivc AO 2013; Fourth round Wawrinka). Yesterday felt like a Benneteau moment to me for Federer so I'm quite confident that he'll make it to the final in three or four stes. Not sure if he's going to go all of the way though.
Djokovic starting very slowly, Kei definitely isn't going to hand this to him
Nikishori takes the first set. Djokovic breaks in the second.
Nishikori on the verge of a huge upset now, Djokovic needs to dig deep to get out of this one
Wow, this is great.
Reply 2167
Come on kei!
As a Federer fan, I couldn't be more happier about Nole's defeat. Although, Federer has to get past Cilic who has been playing top level tennis since coming back from his suspension. And if Federer gets there, Kei will be a tough matchup for him.

C'mon Roger and also c'mon Wozniacki.
Gutted for Djokovic but when Nishikori is playing that well no one can live with him, amazing achievement for him and I wish him the best in the final. Maybe the era of big 4 dominance is really over, I guess we'll see with Federer's match
Nishikori! What a legend!
Federer's fans and the man himself must know this is his big chance to win #18 his win over Monfils was very reminiscent of Djokovic's over him in 2011 and we all know how that ended for him... I doubt the Cilic match will be a simple affair though, both guys will be fired up by the first semi
Seeing that both Djokovic and Murray have been declining recently and Nadal has his injury problems, maybe Federer can dominate the sport once again at 33.
Original post by Badshah
Seeing that both Djokovic and Murray have been declining recently and Nadal has his injury problems, maybe Federer can dominate the sport once again at 33.

I don't think so. Murray is on his way back, Nadal can never be ruled out (see 2013) and Djokovic knows how to come back from disappointing losses (run after US Open last year and his Wimby win this year after losing to Nadal yet again at RG) Even if Fed wins the US Open he can't reverse the aging process and as we've seen with Nishikori the younger guys are coming, I don't think Federer will ever dominate again
Shame to see Djokovic in his muted version today. Seems like he struggles to really 'get up' for matches that are not against Fed, Murray or Nadal nowadays. Congratulations to Kei though, the frontrunner of the 'young guns' has come of age. Expect to see him win this now (should final nerves be controlled well enough).
Didn't see that coming. What a performance from Nishikori.
Reply 2176
Wow. Right on cue, the rain starts to pour...
In the last couple of slams back to RG '11 Djokovic has either won or lost to the eventual champion, regardless of opponent Kei will be a force in the final.
Original post by lizzy95
I don't think so. Murray is on his way back, Nadal can never be ruled out (see 2013) and Djokovic knows how to come back from disappointing losses (run after US Open last year and his Wimby win this year after losing to Nadal yet again at RG) Even if Fed wins the US Open he can't reverse the aging process and as we've seen with Nishikori the younger guys are coming, I don't think Federer will ever dominate again

Lol, it was only a joke.
Reply 2179
The bookies (Sky Bet) are currently giving the following odds for the outright winner in the Men's Singles:

Fed: 4/6
Nishikori: 13/8
Cilic: 8/1

Hmmm....

Quick Reply

Latest