The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys,

I've totally procrastinated all summer and I'm back at school next week for yr 13 ahh!

I need to complete my research before i get back. I needs some advice.. Do I need to print out all the resources I have and those I fine? Do I highlight them and make a comment?

I need some guidance!!
Original post by DomStaff
Thanks.

No problem - fire away.

Not at all, mine was definitely more than 50. Some of which were irrelevant when I came to evaluate them, but I wrote about that. I printed each source and highlighted it etc, then wrote a comment. So some I said 'this is useless'. I probably had about 20 solid sources though and 50-60 overall. Long story short, 40 is fine.

I wrote mine over the Christmas holidays (instead of revising for January mocks!). It probably took 2 weeks, but I am a perfectionist. For every hour spent writing, I would equal that (or double it) proof reading and checking.

I recommend proof reading and printing off every 500 words or so that you do. Then obviously do at least 5 checks of the whole thing at the end; every time I changed something albeit a comma or whatever.

Once you get into it, you'll be fine.

Thank you for replying, you've honestly helped me loads, everyone at sixth form was telling me you shouldn't have more than 10 sources, but I was convinced you could, I mean the whole thing is research based, therefore it makes sense that you need millions of sources!

Yeah I'll probably leave like 2 months to write and perfect it, I'd love to get an A*, bet it's a fab feeling!
Original post by AMKrishnan
My one is so long its like 3700 words but I've structured it to show both sides of the argument for two areas an then at the end I show how I constructed my question. Would that be okay?

We got told that our Lit. Review was just a paragraph on each source commenting on it's reliability ... Is that right? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bazinga_punk
Hi guys,

I've totally procrastinated all summer and I'm back at school next week for yr 13 ahh!

I need to complete my research before i get back. I needs some advice.. Do I need to print out all the resources I have and those I fine? Do I highlight them and make a comment?

I need some guidance!!

Yeah, print out all your online resources/photocopy the books, go through each and highlight the relevant information, things you like such as the structure, what you got out of the source, and then write a paragraph or so about the reliability of each source (was it primary or secondary info, when was it published, is it up to date, who was it written by, can anyone edit it like Wikipedia or is it a trustworthy source), how useful it was/will be when writing ect.

I think the amount of sources varies, I got told I need 10-15 max, but from this thread some people had up to 60 .. I think it just depends on your topic area, plus some of your resources will be useless but still write about them!
Also make sure you have a range, don't just use the internet, look at books, magazines, newspaper articles, journals, documentaries, interviews, you can even collect your own research (a friend of mine is doing hers on heart transplants so she interviewed her friends brother who had one a few years ago)

Good luck! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by LouiseXxx
Thank you for replying, you've honestly helped me loads, everyone at sixth form was telling me you shouldn't have more than 10 sources, but I was convinced you could, I mean the whole thing is research based, therefore it makes sense that you need millions of sources!

Yeah I'll probably leave like 2 months to write and perfect it, I'd love to get an A*, bet it's a fab feeling!

In that case, they're clueless. It is impossible to get sufficient knowledge from 10 websites, maybe 10 top-level books, but still.

Indeed.

I'd say leave more. You have to do a presentation as well (well we did with AQA). Do a first draft over the christmas holidays.
Original post by Blush-ed
We got told that our Lit. Review was just a paragraph on each source commenting on it's reliability ... Is that right? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not so sure myself! I just discussed its contents really and how it's shown the history behind my question.
Original post by MathsAstronomy12
Is anyone else doing an EPQ on space time or astronomy?

I did mine on astronomy last year. Really enjoyed it! :biggrin:

Original post by MagicJigsaw
Has anyone got an A in this and how much work did you put in? How many pages is 5000 words?

I got an A*. Mine was really long, but it doesn't matter. It really is about the quality of the project, not the quantity. As long as you hit the target word counts, it should be fine.

I did mine over a year, and dedicated 3/4 evenings a week to it.
After much debating I think ive found a topic in psychology which has geniunely interested me for some time since I heard about it.

I was thinking of doing an EPQ on either:
The stanford prison experiment
or

The Milgram_experiment which is currently under debate as to wheter the meaning of the experiment has been lost.

I'm struggling to form a question to do with a EPQ based on that?

Any ideas?

I was thinking of something like:

To what extent is the Milgram Experiment applicable to modern society's most common law enforcement:The Police and are the conclusions drawn reflective of the police in modern day?. or something to do with evil?
Reply 5548
I'm currently studying History, English Lit and Sociology at A2
I'm taking on the EPQ this year but I'm not sure of what topic I should do.
I want to study Law at university next year

The only question that I've thought of that really interests me for EPQ is: "was Hitler a terrorist" (in basic terms)

Does this relate to a law degree? Is it good or should I do something directly law related?

OPINIONS PLEASEEEEz
Original post by aksaa
I'm currently studying History, English Lit and Sociology at A2
I'm taking on the EPQ this year but I'm not sure of what topic I should do.
I want to study Law at university next year

The only question that I've thought of that really interests me for EPQ is: "was Hitler a terrorist" (in basic terms)

Does this relate to a law degree? Is it good or should I do something directly law related?

OPINIONS PLEASEEEEz

It may relate to law if you are interested in international law, but I would not say that Hitler was a terrorist.

Terrorist: a person who uses terrorism in the pursuit of political aims

The mass murder of millions of jews/gay/black people was not in the pursuit of political aims (it worked in the opposite way), it was in pursuit of creating the 'perfect' race in Hitler's eyes. If you want to see this as a political aim then I suppose he was, but I don't think that you could write a +3000 word piece on this, it seems quite flimsy.

You could look at corporal punishment, whether the legal system is fair, how to stop people being wrongly accused or the effect that this has on them?
My sister is proof reading my first draft of EPQ, and she says that there is one paragraph that suggests I am having a mental breakdown and doubting everything I have ever done in my EPQ! XD
Original post by Tillybop
I did mine on astronomy last year. Really enjoyed it! :biggrin:

I got an A*. Mine was really long, but it doesn't matter. It really is about the quality of the project, not the quantity. As long as you hit the target word counts, it should be fine.

I did mine over a year, and dedicated 3/4 evenings a week to it.

What was your title mate? How much detail did you go into? E.g university physics or just A Level standard :smile:
Original post by MathsAstronomy12
What was your title mate? How much detail did you go into? E.g university physics or just A Level standard :smile:

It's on my profile page on here :h:

Well mine weren't really based on that much physics. Mine was a very broad topic. I covered psychology, physics, biology and a bit of chemistry too. The physics didn't go above A level - and it was more used to support ideas.
Just got my EPQ result, and school have internally given me an A* (50/50).

I remember how stressed I got about the EPQ in Year 12, so if anyone needs any advice feel free to ask me anything!
Original post by Joe7
Just got my EPQ result, and school have internally given me an A* (50/50).

I remember how stressed I got about the EPQ in Year 12, so if anyone needs any advice feel free to ask me anything!

50/50 eh?

Not bad I guess

Posted from TSR Mobile
to people that have completed the EPQ, approx how much research is needed? whenever I go to write research essays I never have enough research and always have to find more. I know it varies between people and what you're writing about, but how many pages roughly? and how many words roughly for intro and conclusion? thanks
Original post by laurenfloyd_
to people that have completed the EPQ, approx how much research is needed? whenever I go to write research essays I never have enough research and always have to find more. I know it varies between people and what you're writing about, but how many pages roughly? and how many words roughly for intro and conclusion? thanks

I'd say around 500 words for intro and conclusion. Should be short and sweet, summarising what you've done/what you are going to discuss and why.

I did some research to get me going, then researched as I was writing it. It stops you going off on too much of a tangent.
Hi everyone,
I'm in year 12 and have started my EPQ. I have no idea what to do it about though. I thought I would just do the 5000 word essay but my true passion is in English and I am an English student and I think I can write a short story so I may go down that route sine that is now also a possibility. I am in need some suggestions to topics because I have a broad range of things I find interesting but I don't know I could write a whole essay on them.
My original thoughts were astrology and the importance of stars to humans and how they have influenced us over time but after attempting to research that I hit a brick wall.
I am also taking History so anything to do with History I find quite interesting and of course it would be useful to do. I doubt I will follow a career in History though.
However I also find aspects of nature fascinating such as the oceans and the coral reefs or more ecological topics like deforestation.
Planning my EPQ has made me realise I have no real passion in anything (apart from English but I find this is more tricky to write an essay on). My classmates are mostly wanting to be doctors and are all doing science related topics and I am starting to be left behind. I need a topic that is original, interesting and researchable.
Also, does anyone have anyone have any tips on what to include in the essay structure? For example, must we actually collect evidence from questionnaires or quote things from books? I have had to write essays before but none have been like this.
Sorry this is long, and thank you if you have read this! :smile:
How long does the rationale need to be?
Reply 5559
Anyone know how I can incorporate law and sleeping disorders in an EPQ idea?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending