The Student Room Group

Risking Cambridge or not?

I am applying to Cambridge, Durham, Bristol, Newcastle and York to read English next year but am really doubting whether I should bother with Cambridge.

I got AAAB in my AS levels (B in English Lit - whole class did in the stupid exam module, long story, getting a remark/resitting and if I go for Cam I hope to send them my mock which I got full marks in to exemplify it was a dodgy result...), and still got a 92% average, but obviously its the B which will drag everything down, I know.

My teacher also made me consider the fact that I could potentially only end up with one offer as all the unis I'm looking at are so competitive. Apparently Oxbridge early applicants get rejected from Durham and Bristol purely on the basis that they are going for Oxbridge...

Of course I love the course at Cambridge, and have a college in mind and would probably regret not applying, but I know I'll probably be happy in the other places and wouldn't want to risk everything if the rejection scenario is the case.

Honest opinions please? I'm lost :frown: :s-smilie:
(edited 9 years ago)
If you're applying through UCAS the university's won't know which others you are applying for, unless you mention anything in your personal statement (which you shouldn't do).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by jasminestanley
If you're applying through UCAS the university's won't know which others you are applying for, unless you mention anything in your personal statement (which you shouldn't do).

Posted from TSR Mobile

But they will definitely see the fact I'm an early applicant due to the date :confused:
Original post by allypetal
But they will definitely see the fact I'm an early applicant due to the date :confused:

Who told you this is how they treat potential Oxbridge applicants? If it's not someone with legitimate knowledge of the university's applications department or someone within the university itself they are lying/theorizing/passing on rumours which you should not pay attention to.

At the end of the day, Oxbridge applicants who just missed out on offers from Oxbridge are (often) some of the most qualified and skilled applicants applying for their course. The university would be foolish to rule them out just because they suspect they may not be their number 1 choice.
Reply 4
I am applying to Cambridge, Durham, Bristol, Newcastle and York to read English next year but am really doubting whether I should bother with Cambridge.

I got AAAB in my AS levels (B in English Lit - whole class did in the stupid exam module, long story, getting a remark/resitting and if I go for Cam I hope to send them my mock which I got full marks in to exemplify it was a dodgy result...), and still got a 92% average, but obviously its the B which will drag everything down, I know.

My teacher also made me consider the fact that I could potentially only end up with one offer as all the unis I'm looking at are so competitive. Apparently Oxbridge early applicants get rejected from Durham and Bristol purely on the basis that they are going for Oxbridge...

Of course I love the course at Cambridge, and have a college in mind and would probably regret not applying, but I know I'll probably be happy in the other places and wouldn't want to risk everything if the rejection scenario is the case.

Just to dispel that rumour, I don't think it's true at all that Durham and Bristol would reject early applicants who are looking to gain a place at Oxford or Cambridge.

Why would they? They are some of the best in the applicant pool and the majority of them will not make it in to Oxbridge, whereupon they will probably go to one or the other, so the idea that Durham and Bristol would reject such applicants is saying they'd shoot themselves in the foot basically.

With that in mind, if you like the look of Cambridge you should go for it. The B in the subject you want to apply for (I assume this is the case? Because if it isn't then you're very competitive and should definitely go for it.) is not ideal, but Cambridge say that for humanities subjects they look at the best three UMS average as this is a better indicator of how their students will perform once at University according to their studies.

So if you have a 92% average otherwise, you're not the strongest applicant, but you still have a fair chance, and if you love the look of Cambridge and it's course, you should go for it in my opinion.
It absolute bull that you get declined from Durham for applying to Oxbridge. I put in my application and know many others well before the Oxbridge deadline and we all got offers. You'll find one of the most popular questions at amongst people going to Durham is "So did you get rejected from Oxford or Cambridge then?"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Please, DEFINITELY apply! I applied to the exact same universities as you with the exception of Liverpool instead of Newcastle. I got offers from four, with Bristol giving me an offer about two weeks after I applied, and I'm almost sure I'd have got one from Durham except they took too long to get back to me and I accepted my Cambridge offer instead. I also got AAAB at AS, with an even lower average than yours at something like 86.7%. You will definitely get an interview, and I'm sure that if you perform well you can get an offer despite the B in Lit (especially if you show them the calibre of your work in the essay you need to submit; maybe try to submit this year's coursework, if your college does it early like mine did). When I got my B (albeit in Philosophy) one of my teachers told me not to bother applying (and was convinced I couldn't get in). If I'd listened to her, I wouldn't be going up to Cam in a few weeks. Apply, as you've got solid grades and they'll see your passion and aptitude in the interview and your essays.
Just to add a further voice against your teacher, Durham and Bristol definitely do not reject applicants who applied to Oxbridge.

I don't think your chances are great with a B in English, but given the nature of English as a subject it's not as bad as it would be for other subjects.

Regarding what your teacher said about only getting one offer - you can only go to one university. Having 5 offers does nothing other than give you an ego boost. With a good reference and personal statement, you should get an offer from one of those 5 with your AS grades.
Reply 8
Don't worry about being declined, I applied early without applying to Cambridge and I didn't get any negative repercussions from it. It just looks like you're ready early.

Apply where you feel most comfortable. Is Cambridge somewhere you want to go, or are you being sucked in by a false romantic ideas. I can't say, and it is up for you to decide. Go where you feel most comfortable, and completely ignore their reputation in the field. Don't even consider league tables, this is 3 years of your life.
I gather that you can stagger the applications somehow, so that your Cambridge 'section' would go off early, relative to the others. That way the others don't receive an early application which tells them you have applied to Oxbridge.

1. More than 75% of all Oxbridge candidates are rejected. Why would universities want to risk not accepting anyone who was good enough to apply?
2. They can't see where you have applied. If you are worried then add in the other four choices later than Oct 15th on UCAS.
3. Most of my Cambridge friends had received offers from at least one of Durham or Bristol (Arts) or UCL/Imperial (Sciences).
4. I didn't know anybody who got into D/B/UCL/Imperial who hadn't applied to Oxbridge.
5. At 92% especially with a reference that casts doubt on your B you must be a strong candidate. I knew several people whop got Oxbridge offers but didn't get Bristol/Durham. Don't miss what could be your only offer, you are probably far more marginal for Durham & Bristol because of the B! The success rate at D/B is as low as 1 in 10. That's why lots of people get rejected.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending