The Student Room Group

Why does Europe have somany immigrants?

Poor border control? Is it because Europeans are too lazy to work or foreigners are 'cheaper'? We don't breed enough or have many kids(Re: Sweden , some even argue feminism is the cause of this)? The empires which led to many colonies that now have the 'right' to move here?(What goes around come around , right?)
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Because of the EU open border policy.
Reply 2
Original post by LukeyJB
Because of the EU open border policy.

I meant regarding immigration from outside Europe.
Original post by sarah22345
Poor border control? Is it because Europeans are too lazy to work or foreigners are 'cheaper'? We don't breed enough or have many kids(Re: Sweden , some even argue feminism is the cause of this)? The empires which led to many colonies that now have the 'right' to move here?(What goes around come around , right?)

Because Europe is a civilisation in decline.

Loss of border control is a classical sign of civilisational decline.
Reply 4
Original post by capitalismstinks
Because Europe is a civilisation in decline.

Loss of border control is a classical sign of civilisational decline.

Lol i'm sure you've extensively studied the history of civilisations in order to get to this conclusion. Europe should not have such lax rules towards poorer countries but it's hardly a 'civilisation in decline'.
Original post by DErasmus
Lol i'm sure you've extensively studied the history of civilisations in order to get to this conclusion. Europe should not have such lax rules towards poorer countries but it's hardly a 'civilisation in decline'.

I have studied it. Losing control of borders is the classic signal that civilisations are in decline.
I have studied it. Losing control of borders is the classic signal that civilisations are in decline.

The borders are technically in control. Just the criteria is too loose.

Difficult when most European states have only really had border controls for about 100 years.

In that case, it doesn't. About 4% of people in Europe are of non-European origin.
Reply 9
Original post by anarchism101
Difficult when most European states have only really had border controls for about 100 years.

To be fair traveling wasn't as easy 100 years ago...
Original post by DErasmus
To be fair traveling wasn't as easy 100 years ago...

True, but that wasn't the claim I was replying to.
True, but that wasn't the claim I was replying to.

Yeah you're spot on about that. What do you think about immigration from poorer countries by the way? I don't know much about the matter but isn't it harmful to their own economy that so many workers are coming over from Poland etc?

Well the only comparable country is the US and the simple reason we have more non EU immigration than them is that unlike the US immigration is devolved to states and also whereas the USA has two large buffers in Canada and Mexico, there are about 10 countries with a coast on the Mediterranean.

The last mass immigration into Britain pre WW2 was the Norman invasion in the 9th century and that wasn't immigration at all. It was INVASION.

Up until the mid 20th century, Britain experienced hardly any immigration at all for almost a thousand years.

Britain has experienced more 'immigration' in the past 50 years than it has in the past 1000 years.

But, this is not just about Britain. The loss of border integrity is effecting the whole of what is today called 'western civilisation'.

Westerners are a declined people. And their civilisation is following suit.
(edited 9 years ago)
Colonialism.

When you instil a culture of Western superiority, everything relating from economy to education, and have conditioned the natives to believe that the Western system is better, then this is what gets passed down from generation to generation. It's only been one generation since the fall of European colonialism, but if you still go to these former colonies you will see many people there, from the poorest to the middle upper class, highly educated liberals, all wish to immigrate here, for many it being a life long dream, because they truly believe the roads here paved with gold, and that they will have more opportunities here; whether it be starting up and running a successful business, receiving a decent education and fulliling their parents aspirations, all because they've been taught that the West is better
Reply 15
Open border policy which allows technically 'free immigration' within member states and often easily with non too.
Ugh, can we please get rid of the Stormfront C+P trolls?
Ugh, can we please get rid of the Stormfront C+P trolls?

Report and it'll be dealt with :smile:
Original post by itsmyname
Colonialism.

When you instil a culture of Western superiority, everything relating from economy to education, and have conditioned the natives to believe that the Western system is better, then this is what gets passed down from generation to generation. It's only been one generation since the fall of European colonialism, but if you still go to these former colonies you will see many people there, from the poorest to the middle upper class, highly educated liberals, all wish to immigrate here, for many it being a life long dream, because they truly believe the roads here paved with gold, and that they will have more opportunities here; whether it be starting up and running a successful business, receiving a decent education and fulliling their parents aspirations, all because they've been taught that the West is better

the vast majority of european countries did not have colonies and they are still being over run by third world immigrants, so try again !!
Reply 19
Original post by HeritageofEurope
the vast majority of european countries did not have colonies and they are still being over run by third world immigrants, so try again !!

True that immigrants are moving to countries which historically did not have colonies, but the vast majority are migrating to countries which did.
Nearly all countries in Western Europe have historically had global colonies (Spain, Portugal, France, Germany, Italy, Belgium, Netherlands, UK). These are the countries that receive the most immigration compared to a country such as Slovakia which has never had colonies and receives minimal immigration from "third world" countries.

I'm not saying there is a causation in all cases but there certainly is a correlation and for some countries e.g. UK, the reason for mass immigration has been historically due to the past British Empire.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending