The Student Room Group

AAAA at as level

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
AAAAA, but in my January Mock exams I got AAABE, so that's when I really buckled down and revised... An E was a bit of a shock!

Also, I did work in all my free periods and during lunch and made sure I did my homework. When we broke up for study leave I went into school for the full day anyway, so I did about 6 hours a day near the exams!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by happysmile
Thank you for the advice! I'll message you if I need help when I'm further into the course :redface: Which other subjects did you do at AS? :smile:

Cool cool :smile:
I did Biology, Maths, Physics and taught myself Further Maths (taking FM exams next year) :smile:)
All with Edexcel btw
Original post by ANEXIS kZstaR
lmao you tell yourself whatever it takes to get you to sleep.

Truth is I am a better candidate than you.

And my 14 a stars at GCSE embodies that.

You have a terrible work ethic.

So what my UMS is low, you'll still be rejected pre-interview :smug:

Lol and what subjects did you take - micky mouse essay subjects?

I wouldn't say your UMS is really the standard for Cambridge, I would advise you to apply to Oxford though if what you say is true about your GCSEs. For me I didn't even know that I wanted to go to University at the beginning of Y11 so took a while to turn around. Applying to Cambridge, LSE and UCL for Econ now tho, what you app for?
Original post by EHZ17
I wouldn't say your UMS is really the standard for Cambridge, I would advise you to apply to Oxford though if what you say is true about your GCSEs. For me I didn't even know that I wanted to go to University at the beginning of Y11 so took a while to turn around. Applying to Cambridge, LSE and UCL for Econ now tho, what you app for?

You are probably right.

Unis I want to apply to: Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick, Kings.

Unis I will probably apply to: Replace Oxford with Cam.

Inbox?
Original post by happysmile
Hey, I'm doing my four AS in the same subjects you did, how did you revise? from the textbook? when did you start doing past papers and did you do all of them? is it a good idea to make notes or is it better to just use notes from class and the textbook? thanks :redface:

Definitely depends on the quality of your notes. Biology taught us to pad out the revision guide, Chemistry was workbooks, Maths was textbook and Physics was an awful set of notes the teachers gave us so I rewrote my own. Its more down to a personal preference, I like to summarize between my notes, the textbook, revision guide and the specification then I know I'm learning the right stuff. Be prepared to have a good few pages of stuff you will never be tested on if you revise your class notes. We were set past paper questions as homework at my place and then did past papers as class mocks. It was more of a matter of looking through my files about a month before the exam and doing papers that I'd not seen already. It's possible to do well, with a lot of hard work. Don't worry about revising yet, just make sure you learn and understand everything you've been taught now because it makes summer a lot less stressful. And good luck! :wink:
Original post by buttered_peanut
Definitely depends on the quality of your notes. Biology taught us to pad out the revision guide, Chemistry was workbooks, Maths was textbook and Physics was an awful set of notes the teachers gave us so I rewrote my own. Its more down to a personal preference, I like to summarize between my notes, the textbook, revision guide and the specification then I know I'm learning the right stuff. Be prepared to have a good few pages of stuff you will never be tested on if you revise your class notes. We were set past paper questions as homework at my place and then did past papers as class mocks. It was more of a matter of looking through my files about a month before the exam and doing papers that I'd not seen already. It's possible to do well, with a lot of hard work. Don't worry about revising yet, just make sure you learn and understand everything you've been taught now because it makes summer a lot less stressful. And good luck! :wink:

Thanks for the advice! (:
Original post by Iggy Azalea
Yes, but do you actually know your topic material? There's a difference between recognising/reciting to knowing and explaining.

These 5-8 hour revision sessions are simply short term memory fillers. It is essentially cramming, which is just a recital action and doesn't mean you know your material.

You'd be a more efficient learner if you could study little and often to process new information and keep it in your long term memory (which stores a lot more information) so that come exam time you can access it without the stress. It also boosts your memory and is better for your brain than a huge cram session.

The little and often technique is how successful people learn languages, mechanical skills and mathematics through spaced repetition and reviewing sessions.

It's not my intention to be patronising but I do think people don't really know how to learn things, and this often leads to exam stress and pressure.

Well I got AAAA, so I did know my topic material. However I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying. For my sciences I didn't spend over 5 hours straight going over content, the only subject I did that for was for religious studies. I do know some people that have revised for loads of hours in a day though. When it came to exams I was doing 5 ours of preparation a day but that wasn't content, that was just bashing out past papers.
Just read through the pages in this thread since I last posted. It seems like on TSR if you don't get straight As people will take a dig at you. And then if you do get straight As they'll take a dig at you if you spent a long time studying.
Reply 88
Original post by HughMyron
Just read through the pages in this thread since I last posted. It seems like on TSR if you don't get straight As people will take a dig at you. And then if you do get straight As they'll take a dig at you if you spent a long time studying.

May be biased since this thread is asking for users with AAAA (or 'similar'). I've not heard of people taking digs at others due to excess studying? I know some people get 4As with starting revision after easter (myself included) -I don't know what issue people would have with those who started in say January?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You are probably right.

Inbox?

Yeah sure
You are probably right.

Inbox?

For some reason I can't send you messages?
I can't even revise without getting distracted . . . Ugh . . .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by L'Evil Fish
What's common sense? I didn't advise it, I just said that's what I did (in reality it was less but even I know that's not a good thing to tell everyone)

A week is plenty. That's like one module a day to cover properly, and modules are tiny

What as levels did you take and what ums did you get?
Original post by Edminzodo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Turn your phone off as well as your laptop and I am sure you would be less distracted

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by toonervoustotalk
Turn your phone off as well as your laptop and I am sure you would be less distracted

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do. I just have extremely sensitive hearing and concentration problems . . . I can't focus for long periods and I do all essay subjects . . .
I do. I just have extremely sensitive hearing and concentration problems . . . I can't focus for long periods and I do all essay subjects . . .

Try listening to classical music but it might become a distraction in itself

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by toonervoustotalk
Try listening to classical music but it might become a distraction in itself

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm finding tracks of white noise to be quite helpful. Thanks, though.
I'm finding tracks of white noise to be quite helpful. Thanks, though.

No problem

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Try listening to epic music/ film soundtracks on youtube without lyrics, they make me determined to revise :smile:
Reply 99
In case you don't get AAAA, remember this post. Don't worry too much, you could still easily ace A2

Quick Reply

Latest