The Student Room Group

Edexcel Maths structure

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by tiny hobbit
They need to cash in your Maths AS as well as Maths A level.

Well my tutor told me that edexcel will arrange to your best scenario so I guess happens automatically.
Reply 21
Original post by Some Math Nerd
The rules:

Mathematics - Compulsory Units: C1-4; Possible Application Units: D1D2, M1M2, S1S2, D1M1, D1S1, M1D1.
A* - gain a total of 180 UMS in C3 & C4, and 480 UMS for all six units taken.

Further Maths - Compulsory Units: FP1, FP2/3; Possible Application Units: The remaining AS unit(s), the remaining FP unit, and other A2 units built consecutively (i.e. If you have taken M1, you cannot take M3 without M2)
A* - gain a total of 270 UMS in the BEST THREE A2 units (note this does not have to include FP2 or FP3) and 480 UMS for all six units taken.

F. A. Maths - Compulsory Units: None; Possible Application Units: All units not previously cashed in.

A* - gain a total of 270 UMS in the BEST THREE A2 units and 480 UMS for all six units taken.

AS Units: C1, C2, D1, FP1, M1, S1
A2 Units: C3-4, D2, FP2-3, M2-5, S2-4

But I know someone who is taking Further Maths AS and was given a choice between FP2;M2 which M2 is a A2 unit? So you're saying that my S2 won't go towards Further AS? only either Further A2 if not used for Normal Maths. But I'm sure that FP1,S1,D2 was used this yr for my Further AS.
Original post by Rkai01
Well my tutor told me that edexcel will arrange to your best scenario so I guess happens automatically.

Edexcel will arrange to get your best scenario but only from modules that are not "locked in" to a qualification already. Re-cashing in Maths A level and Maths AS unlocks the units that were used for those.
Reply 23
Just a generic question:
Can S3 be counted and S2 be discarded, or is this not the case?

Which is the harder between S3 and M2? If this helps my Core is quite strong so is M2 more similar? People say M1 is harder than M2?
But S3 is good for economics/econometrics so this is posing a slight problem.
Also Which module between FP2 and FP3 is good for making C3 and C4 seem easier if so?My school has chosen FP3 for me already though.
Original post by Rkai01

Edexcel arrange the best scenario IF the exams officer has got the admin right.
Original post by Rkai01
Can S3 be counted and S2 be discarded, or is this not the case?.

Yes.

Original post by Rkai01
Which is the harder between S3 and M2?

Down to personal preference as the exam boards aim to make the units of similar difficulty. I'd pick Mechanics every time as I find stats unsatisfying

Original post by Rkai01
JWhich module between FP2 and FP3 is good for making C3 and C4 seem easier if so?My school has chosen FP3 for me already though.

Do what your school does.
Original post by Compost
Edexcel arrange the best scenario IF the exams officer has got the admin right.

This.
Reply 27
Original post by Compost
Yes.

Down to personal preference as the exam boards aim to make the units of similar difficulty. I'd pick Mechanics every time as I find stats unsatisfying

Do what your school does.

With regards to S3 being counted without S2, if you scroll up "Somemathnerd" says that this is probably not true.

Quick Reply

Latest