The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Juan Mata
Just saying that's like the definition of 'not in your hands' if you're relying on 2 games elsewhere going your way :tongue:

haha yeah fair point - just looking at the teams so far i fully expect madrid to get 18 points from this group given how they demolished basel and they've already played ludogorets away.

Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
That's the thing though. In CL group stages you don't have to be the best team but you have to be effective in getting points on the board. Well, you can look on the Brightside though since if you get knocked out the group stages you can concentrate solely on the league

only if we finish last though.
if there's a weird upset and we're out of qualification with a game to go, i hope we just play a team of youngsters and come 4th.
technically i think that's illegal:colone: but extra europa league matches would ruin us
no way we'd win it so it'd just add extra games.
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
If Basel beat Liverpool and Ludo twice, it's 12 points not 9 :lolwut:

didn't punctuate right - i meant beating only the latter team twice, not both :P
Original post by cleveradam
If Basel beat Ludogorets in both legs they will beat this poor Liverpool with ease at Anfield. All this 'atmosphere' talk is nonsense.
Basel could have easily scored 2-3 more had they been more clinical.

meh, both teams had some decent chances; sturridge would've bagged a few tonight.
but i agree that their quality let them down - any top half PL side would've scored more than 1 against us tonight.

if we have sturridge back and if we were at anfield, i would disagree with you there.
Original post by Lúcio
haha yeah fair point - just looking at the teams so far i fully expect madrid to get 18 points from this group given how they demolished basel and they've already played ludogorets away.

only if we finish last though.
if there's a weird upset and we're out of qualification with a game to go, i hope we just play a team of youngsters and come 4th.
technically i think that's illegal:colone: but extra europa league matches would ruin us
no way we'd win it so it'd just add extra games.

didn't punctuate right - i meant beating only the latter team twice, not both :P

I hope you lot finish 3rd :colone:

Oh right my bad then. I had to check twice and was baffed when you said Basel would get 9 points from 4 wins xD. Well one thing is for sure, RM will top the group and the rest will be interesting to see how it pans out.
Original post by Juan Mata
It's head to head rather than GD afaik, so it may come down to them needing to win by 2 against Basel
Yeah it H2H points wise first, but I think they'll beat Basel. If they win that 1-0, then it goes to general GD which I think they'll win on. Issue comes if Basel score then they have an away goal so they'd need 3-1 at least.
Feel for Markovic tbh, he showed some good moments today but he is still finding his feet and was just chucked straight into the deep end so far this season (injuries to Allen and Can made it necessary for him to get more starts and game time than expected) and is getting alot of abuse. We should have not paid £20 million for him though....
Original post by Fizzel
Yeah it H2H points wise first, but I think they'll beat Basel. If they win that 1-0, then it goes to general GD which I think they'll win on. Issue comes if Basel score then they have an away goal so they'd need 3-1 at least.

H2H is quite likely to determine 2nd place in the group.
Anything from real, however unrealistic would do it for us
Even a 0-0 draw at Anfield (lol)

Maybe we'll up our game against a top team?
Highly unlikely but who knows?
Original post by Lúcio
Anything from real, however unrealistic would do it for us
Even a 0-0 draw at Anfield (lol)

We need our full strength team for Madrid otherwise we have no chance for a point.
Original post by Lúcio

When United fans suggest the same thing you guys rofl :colone:
We really needed to not lose this game.

Tbh we needed Sturridge to be fit for the first couple of months but that didn't even happen.

One more game then back to the international break. I think Sturridge will miss that game (at Rodgers' choice) so he can avoid going on England duty.
Original post by Lúcio
Basel were terrible too, and they haven't played Ludo at all yet. I don't think its a given they will get 6 points there. Both you and Real have struggled, and Basel have them next away.
Not sure why people are thinking Real are this unstoppable juggernaut. Fully expect them to take 6 points off us but theyre soft in the middle. Pepe and Ramos are fantastic front foot defenders, a bit suspect backpedalling. Same story with their midfield.

We are absolutely dire atm tho.
Original post by CB91
Not sure why people are thinking Real are this unstoppable juggernaut. Fully expect them to take 6 points off us but theyre soft in the middle. Pepe and Ramos are fantastic front foot defenders, a bit suspect backpedalling. Same story with their midfield.

We are absolutely dire atm tho.

It's gotten to the stage where teams can play their worst football and still beat us, sad times...
This is so similar to 09/10 season it's eerie.
3 wins, 2 draws and 4 losses this season (counting the win over Boro as a draw since it went to penalties).

Very poor form frankly.. we could very easily finish outside the top 4 and end up in Europa League football this season..
Original post by samir12
We need our full strength team for Madrid otherwise we have no chance for a point.

the chance of anything at all is slim, but i'll still hope.
given how woeful we have been so far, i'll still hope.
i still hope we can get a win at the weekend.

Original post by h3isenberg
When United fans suggest the same thing you guys rofl :colone:

we're like you but we don't have the attack to make up for it.
if we concede we're screwed.
if you concede, you have hope you'll bag a few with your front line anyway...
Original post by Fizzel
Basel were terrible too, and they haven't played Ludo at all yet. I don't think its a given they will get 6 points there. Both you and Real have struggled, and Basel have them next away.

ludo could surprise us all you know.
the issue is that they have nothing to show for their commendable performances :/
love how there's barely any trolling.

people are starting to pity us.
we're united under moyes all over again:dry:
Reply 3417
Just realised. Peak.
It's actually official.
We've done a Tottenham.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zerforax
Very poor form frankly.. we could very easily finish outside the top 4 and end up in Europa League football this season..
While its realistic, I think it has been all along, I don't think its 'easily' so to speak. Of all your rivals, your problems are the easiest to fix I think.

Quick Reply

Latest