The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by deborarosa
perfect post tbh- tearing up rn. I dont think Rodgers is a better manager than Wenger. Hes a good manger but hasn't reached the level Wenger has or had yet...dont think he ever will tbh. Also lets see how he deals with a season when hes just sold his best player and is in the CL. Something Wenger has managed to do consistently

It's just one of those things. Arsene wasn't made for the world of heat maps and counter-pressing. Brendan Rodgers might know all the buzz words, but Arsene's got a certain timeless simplicity to his management that I would expect to out-perform over then long term. Just like you'd always trust the time on an ancient grandfather-clock over the time on your i-phone :wink:
Original post by So Instinct
Why is this even a debate? Ofc Wenger is a better manager at this moment in time, Rodgers is relatively young as like many of the players and so has a lot of learning to do.
I reckon he'll be great and maybe one day will be better than Wenger but at this moment in time it's not even a question.

This.

Has to be one of the most stupid questions I've heard all day, Doesn't even warrant a half decent reply
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich

viviano lol, peak times.
Original post by Mackay
I have faith in Rodgers - I really do. But, I can't help feeling he has massively underestimated the step up that playing Champions League football is. You need a well-balanced, integrated squad who are comfortable with each other. Man United, under van Gaal, are in a similar position to ourselves last season and I fully expect them to capitalise. They'll get top four this season - and it'll be at our expense.

We've signed too many players - and I'm not convinced they are the right ones. Balotelli plays for himself and doesn't fit into our work ethic, he's too lethargic and slow on the ball to truly create something in the same way that Sterling, Sturridge and Coutinho do. I'll reserve judgement on Can and Markovic, but Lambert's signing was nonsensical. It reeked of a Dalglish move at the time - and he's proving me right. Why is he at the club? Our strikeforce is toothless - Sterling was knackered/woeful last night, and we only had Lambert on the bench. We should have gone for Remy and Eto'o over Balotelli and Lambert. Loaning out Origi could prove a grave error.

Manquillo/Moreno are the two best signings we've made in the summer - and they've shone because our defence has been under so much pressure. There's no leadership at the back, the set piece is our achilles heel time and time again. Lovren was clearly roped in to boost communication with Sakho/Mignolet as they all speak the same languages, but Sakho has let his temperament get the better of him and Mignolet looks increasingly fragile. Every game we've played this season our defence has looked like a bottom half club's.

Last season, our attack got our defence out of jail. Now, there's nothing to mask our frailties. Gerrard is constantly pinpointed in his deeper role, which means that Henderson is burdened with having to do two roles. That isn't good for a) his development and b) the club. Gerrard isn't bulletproof - there's nobody better at striking a dead ball or stepping up in a big situation in the country in my opinion, but nobody is un-droppable.

We haven't won a game without the help of penalties for over a month now.

I think Man Utd have a lot more gaps in their side. They really need a few players to hit some real form but I'm not sure they will.

I think Rodgers has in part changed too much with the first XI too quickly and in part been forced to due to injuries. He's also become too predictable with the same formation/line up and easy to expose.

Balotelli wasn't terrible considering the options out there. Who else would you have bought? Remy was a risk according to our medical staff so that's a no go and Eto'o would've been even more of a stop gap and likely to drop off at some point. He wouldn't have been able to play as a sole striker.

Balotelli will go through a purple patch and look great. Just needs to find that form.

Lambert was just to add some depth to the side and experience. I don't understand why it's a big deal considering he was only 4mil?

Lille would have refused to sell us Origi if we didn't loan him back. They regularly insist on that in their deals.

We need to work out how to address our weaknesses and quickly. I do think that once Sturridge comes back, we'll suddenly look a lot better.
Original post by Deshi
This.

Has to be one of the most stupid questions I've heard all day, Doesn't even warrant a half decent reply

lol I saw it on twitter and I wanted to see if Liverpool fans on here would be biased or actually have a good response. I think its a stupid debate too tbh- not even a debate, OFC Wenger is a better manager
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sturridge-unlikely-fit-face-west-7874419

Sturridge unlikely for the weekend. Guess maybe the injury is worse than 1st thought as he could have made it for Everton match.
another loss on the way then
I don't want another weekend ruined, may miss this one out....
I miss Luis

so so so so so much

he was literally the ****

Luis's best was as good as or better than any player this league has ever seen. He equalled the goalscoring record and did it without penalties. That's some ****ing feat.

I hate the ****
I've just never seen ball control like his before
was watching youtube vids but i cant handle it anymore
passion and desire i've never seen anything like it

Luis would play 95 minutes for 365 days a year, and on the 365th day, in the 95 minute, he'd chase a defender into the corner, bundle him over and ****mouth the ref even if we were winning 10-0

just one of a ****ing kind

Barcelona must understand that they have one of the very best the world has to offer

no-one has ever had a season like he did last year in the PL, no-one
Reply 3472
Ronaldo 07/08 and Henry 02/03 run him close.
Original post by I miss Luis

no-one has ever had a season like he did last year in the PL, no-one

Remember when that guy scored the same amount of goals as Suarez, but did it from the wing and in a less attacking team :moon:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Juan Mata
Remember when that guy scored 31 goals from the wing, in a less attacking team than Liverpool last year :moon:

penalties? assists? Chance creation?

Is it not evident that Suarez is the difference between an improved team that has barely won a game for a month and a team that won 11 in a row last year

fact *****
Original post by trrr
Ronaldo 07/08 and Henry 02/03 run him close.

I saw Ronaldo's season, I wouldn't swap it for Suarez's LEAGUE season last year

I was too young to critically appraise Henry's season

obviously this isn't a discussion that's gonna be truly impartial and different people will have different views, and that's fine
Original post by I miss Luis
penalties? assists? Chance creation?

Is it not evident that Suarez is the difference between an improved team that has barely won a game for a month and a team that won 11 in a row last year

fact *****

Remember in preseason when you were all saying how Sturridge was just as important and in fact won you more points than Suarez. And who's been missing in the month you speak of?
Original post by Juan Mata
Remember in preseason when you were all saying how Sturridge was just as important and in fact won you more points than Suarez. And who's been missing in the month you speak of?

denial will come as denial comes

we'll have to see how well Sturridge will do when he returns

but it's only now that he's gone that you actually realise how good he actually was. Now he's gone and you have someone to compare him to, you realise his true value

I just never seen a player like him
already had a chance conversion conversation with you wrt Luis/Falcao, Luis's chance conversion was excellent/above world class and yet still lower that it should be compared to similar goalscoring seasons due to the amount of chances he created for himself. And Ronaldo's penalties were in his chance conversion statistics (not reading the article). And chance conversion is a dead stat anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest