The Student Room Group

What is wrong with choosing to be a housewife?

So I met up with an old work colleague and he was ranting to me about how a woman he works with is married and goes home to cook and clean and from his description, she didnt sound unhappy with her life... yet he was so irritated by this and said she is so naive and empty headed and dumb etc. I said, maybe she's happy and its her choice but he argued, why would anyone want this life? He said she lives ten minutes away from her work place and how her life will be going to work, coming home and undertaking domestic duties.

Meanwhile this guy goes to work, comes home and smokes weed everyday (for the record). I mean it got me thinking...
Isit wrong to choose to be a housewife? Does that make someone stupid or naive and does it make their life less meaningful? Or is this guy just being an arrogant prick?

What do you guys think? Just been something I have been thinking about and is a bit random to bring up to other friends...

Scroll to see replies

Wasting your life perhaps?
Original post by geneticist

But if she is satisfied then why is it a waste?

It's not really a waste if that's how you want to live your life. Loads of girls grow up just wanting to marry a rich guy and live a pretty much carefree life and look after their children.
If she's happy, then what's the problem? Ok, it could be a waste if she just sat around and played games on FB all day.
Original post by blackened_sky
It's not really a waste if that's how you want to live your life. Loads of girls grow up just wanting to marry a rich guy and live a pretty much carefree life and look after their children.

The idea of living a "carefree"life is ridiculous when you think life is all about worrying things and consider that we owe everything to people who actually cared about things:doctors, engineers, scientists, artists, politicians (good ones :biggrin:) etc.
Tbh, part of me would love to be a housewife, just because I kinda hate the stress of working and figuring out a career and all that. But on the other hand, I do quite like earning my own money and the idea of being able to rely on myself, whereas being a housewife means you'd have to rely on your husband never losing his job or leaving you, otherwise you could be screwed money-wise.

To answer your thread question, I say no, there's nothing wrong with being a housewife, or even a househusband, if the couple are happy with the decision and financially able to do it. It's for no one to judge, since everyone has their different priorities in life :smile:
I don't see anything wrong with being a housewife. I wasn't sure if it was for me but tbh after experiencing both working and being a housewife periodically, I choose the latter. Having my 'own' money is nice and all but it's actually making our family life and myself miserable. Doesn't mean I'm dumb or have a meaningless life. I see it as making a choice that benefits my family life and preserves my sanity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The idea of living a "carefree"life is ridiculous when you think life is all about worrying things and consider that we owe everything to people who actually cared about things:doctors, engineers, scientists, artists, politicians (good ones :biggrin:) etc.

Why only middle class jobs?

What about all the supermarket employees who keep food on people's plates and the bricklayers who give us shelter etc?
Original post by donutaud15
I don't see anything wrong with being a housewife. I wasn't sure if it was for me but tbh after experiencing both working and being a housewife periodically, I choose the latter. Having my 'own' money is nice and all but it's actually making our family life and myself miserable. Doesn't mean I'm dumb or have a meaningless life. I see it as making a choice that benefits my family life and preserves my sanity.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good on you! Don't let the judgemental bastards grind you down!

I'd be a househusband given the option.
Can I be a house husband?
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Can I be a house husband?

You can but all your relatives will be laughing at you behind your back.
Original post by blackened_sky

Anyone with serious money won't be looking after the kids, you send them boarding if you have any sense.
Original post by Prince Kael'thas
You can but all your relatives will be laughing at you behind your back.

Oh well. BY the time I;m married the feminists will be running things and us men will be the weaker subservient sex. Will be the norm then. :smile:
Absolutely nothing wrong with being a housewife.
Original post by themorninglight
Absolutely nothing wrong with being a housewife.

What about me and my dream of house husband?
Cause then you can't complete thug life and join the squad

Posted from TSR Mobile
Theres nothing wrong with it, personally I'm not enough of a failure to have to depend on my wifes income to sustain my lifestyle, and I'd be happy for her to stay at home provided shes a 10/10 wife (ie hot meal and sloppy bj everyday when I get home from work)
Original post by bertstare
Theres nothing wrong with it, personally I'm not enough of a failure to have to depend on my wifes income to sustain my lifestyle, and I'd be happy for her to stay at home provided shes a 10/10 wife (ie hot meal and sloppy bj everyday when I get home from work)

I'm the same minus the bj part. I'm not going to be a high earner but if the girl was a 10/10 and nice and loved me (I'd get her on lie detector to make sure) I'd be happy for her to sit at home, especially if I enjoyed my way of earning money.
Original post by mathsmathsmaths
minus the bj part

wat

Quick Reply

Latest