The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ashnard
You're getting very good at this :congrats:. Pray continue your efforts.

Thank you.
Mayer played out of his skin for most of the match earlier today, but faltered when it mattered most - but great steel from Rog to save most of the match points himself.
Have to say though, Djokovic looks to be the player to beat once again at the end of the season.
David shows a backbone for once!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Race to London is facinating this year! A this moment in time depending on the seriousness of the Raonic injury I'd say Stan, Marin, Kei, Berdych and Ferrer to join the big 3.

What with Nadal's impending surgery I can't see him doing anything again in London, it's between Roger and Djoker for me.
Yes, the upside of the lack of consistency shown by almost all the players barring Djokovic and Federer this year is the extremely close race to London. Will Murray make it?
Dimitrov seems to have tailed off handing prominence to Nikishori and Raonic (injury pending). A very close field.
Fed eats a bagel, will play Djokovic next.
Just doing a few calculations with the gap to Djokovic at 4000 points right now.

Not losing another game (winning in Paris, Basel, Shanghai and London) gives him 2800 ranking points on top of what he has now (only defends 1150 and has defended 90 of those here).

Djokovic were he to lose in the SF here and reach the final in Paris and London would lose 1500 (defends 2500) so theoretically, if Fed beats him tonight then the year end number 1 spot is actually possible though there's only 300 points as room to manouvre.
Are we in 2005 or 2014? Incredible Fed rolling back the years once again. So proud as a fan. Another one of Nole's streaks ended at the hands of Fed. Ironic thing is that Fed was the last man to defeat Novak before he went on his two streaks. Shanghai 2010 Seminfinals and WTF 2010.

Tough match for Fed tomorrow as Simon has given his problems before but if Fed plays like he did today, he will win comfortably imo.

33 years old out of prime Fed leads 27 year old prime Nole 3-2 this year.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yep, Federer snaps the Djokovic Asia Streak - the forehand was really buzzing today!
I play this song along in my head whenever Federer is GOATing:

Just imagine if Fed was the same age and had the energy and movement of 05-09.
Original post by Rakas21
Just imagine if Fed was the same age and had the energy and movement of 05-09.

He would be number 1 and would have won at least 2 slam this season. No doubt whatsoever.
Great performance by Federer although Djokovic wasn't at his best. Should be a good final
Well, it's Gilles Simon up next in the final tomorrow - he's been playing some very good tennis of late. Handed out a bagel to Berdych and then dropped only 7 points on serve throughout his entire semifinal match against Lopez.
Hello Tennis lovers and experts! :smile:

Can anyone tell me what a 'fault' means exactly when a tennis player has a serve? how does a fault emerge? I don't get it.
Can only imagine how tough it is playing with such massive crowd bias to Federer.

Federer wins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:biggrin:
Tough win for Fed. He had to save set points in both sets, not surprising as Simon is a tough match up for him. But anyway, another title for Fed. He finally won in Shanghai after a 7 year drought there. He still has so much to play for in 2014. I can't wait for Basel. Come on Fed!
Original post by Kallisto
Hello Tennis lovers and experts! :smile:

Can anyone tell me what a 'fault' means exactly when a tennis player has a serve? how does a fault emerge? I don't get it.

Hi, welcome :smile:

Here's some quick info on serving:

"The server has two attempts to get the ball in.
If the ball lands outside the service box or does not clear the net or the net post, it is known as a 'fault'.

If any part of the ball touches the line, the ball is in

After one fault the server may try again. If both tries result in faults, a 'double fault' is called and the opponent wins the point."
(edited 9 years ago)
Great win for Federer - he's really back in business now, with a chance to even grab the No. 1 spot!

Quick Reply

Latest